Video: more ugly street violence between students caught on tape

webfact

Video: more ugly street violence between students caught on tape

s2am.jpg

BANGKOK: - It is an issue causing a great deal of comment in Thai society. Continuing violence between rival student gangs.

Despite being threatened with action under Article 44 the brazen attacks continue unabated. The use of knives and even guns are becoming commonplace, reported Daily News.

The latest clip doing the rounds of social media was a vicious confrontation with sword wielding combatants in broad daylight in Din Daeng.

More than a dozen students were involved and they were all thought to be gangs from the same college - Dusit Panichakorn.

The mother of one of the victims said her son has been hospitalized since the violent attack at 3pm on June 28th. Her son was attacked while waiting for friends on his motorbike under the expressway.

He was on his way home. Other members of the public flee in terror in the clip that was posted online and shared to the "Jao Por (Clip Det) page.

Her 16 year old son needed 100 stitches in face wounds and another 30 on his arm. His nose was almost severed. Another boy almost lost a hand. Boith are out of danger and continuing to recovery under medical supervision.

The college has visited the victims and is providing financial support but the mother complained that the police have made no progress at all in finding the perpetrators.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-07

i have known and talk to some thai males already grown up now and whom have been involved in this kind of school fights b4. its usually between technical vocational institutes and its a tradition to fight between neighouring rival schools.

When question why? No one has an idea except that its has been like this forever. if your in this school u have to fight with the other school.

alot of times some guys just wanna go n study n get an education but are involved just for wearing the opposing school uniform.

I think the government wants to stop it. they should really go to the ground level and bring the students together, engage in joint school activities so that students from different schools can get to know each other and not just want to kill each other each time they cross paths.

i have known and talk to some thai males already grown up now and whom have been involved in this kind of school fights b4. its usually between technical vocational institutes and its a tradition to fight between neighouring rival schools.

When question why? No one has an idea except that its has been like this forever. if your in this school u have to fight with the other school.

alot of times some guys just wanna go n study n get an education but are involved just for wearing the opposing school uniform.

I think the government wants to stop it. they should really go to the ground level and bring the students together, engage in joint school activities so that students from different schools can get to know each other and not just want to kill each other each time they cross paths.

The situation is very like football hooliganism within the UK in the 1970s and 1980s. It is about identity and belonging. A whole new approach to stop this has to be thought out and implemented. The idea of bringing the rival schools together is good as it gives a shared identity.

Moonmoon, on 07 Jul 2016 - 07:06, said:

While your suggestions are sensible and true, those hot headed hooligan forgot what they fighting

about or fighting for, so deeply entrenched the mutual hearted and animosities between them,

and while the authorizes are pussy footing around the issue, the mayhem and bodily harms continues....

Abandon the idea of putting Vocational College Students in school uniforms?

It will at least give the more peaceable amongst them some anonymity, and allow them to avoid the gangs.

I can add a bit more. Lots of older Thais have told me that in many of these schools the teachers, seniors and alumni tell the juniors 'you have to fight to build and maintain the glory of your school, and in many cases they are frightened to not obey.' How many students from other schools that you kill or injury is all part of the scorecard.

Thirty + years back I lived for six months in an apartment building on Petchaburi Road, Bkk. One of the senior teachers from a nearby vocational school also lived there.

He spoke English and often he came and sat at my table in the apartment restaurant uninvited. He had no other conversation except how he taught his students how to fight for the glory of their school, he mentioned many times how his students got information about where to find students from other vocational schools, and he openly talked about making weapons in the workshops at his school.

Edited by scorecard

They have the name of the college....... shut it down immediately....tell the management of the college....sort the sh*t out with your students and we will allow you to re-open....

How easy is it !!....but no....a booklet is going to produced and given to the students at all colleges on how to behave

In the meantime apart from the students directly involved in the brawls...innocent students are caught up in the BS and members of the general public going about their daily business are at high risk.

If there are no consequences for poor behavior, the behavior itself becomes a reward....basic psychology...

Can you imagine if farang were given the same lack of consequences? I wonder how many Thai men would be pummeled on any given weekend in Pattaya? If you really want Thais to exercise basic restraint in violence, you have to give them a reason to do so...Thais are cowards, and it shows in their leadership

Dave Austin said, "Drag them into the army, do not pass go!"

Why saddle the army with these immature thugs? Do what they elsewhere (USA and Australia's Northern Territory are two I can think of) and put them in 'boot camps' where the little mongrels would learn discipline and self respect under conditions similar to 'Rookies' training in the military.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

Drag them into the army, do not pass go! Also, slap huge fines on schools and parents. There has to be incentive.

I followed your quotes in this thread and agree in general. But.....violence is everywhere around: I think you are aware how violence is shown in daily soaps? Withount beating and guns no fun. Kids will learn that without violence you will not achieve anything. With a gun or knife you can happily enjoy your life.

This is the trigger and here you have to start. Use section 44 and don't allow any violence as described in TV.

Another "But": Do you think anyone of the junta will read our comments????? Would be interested how your answer is!

Perhaps someone on the forum can help explain why there is such animosity between Thai schools? I honestly don't get it...I've gone to schools that had rivalries, but never imagined killing another student...it seems as if the practice is common and for ALL Thai schools...

how long has this practice been accepted? is it always the same schools? does administration do anything to address the issue? what happens after students graduate? does the rivalry and hatred continue? are girls involved? is it just violence, or is there "territory" and money involved?

if i had a son, i'm pretty sure I wouldn't let him attend a technical school, just because he might get caught up a stupid fight...

Most are not capable of making a positive contribution to society now or in the future. Shackle a weed wacker to them and put them to keeping the roadside, waterways, etc free of vegetation. Put their school mates with them as they seem to run in packs. Pay them wages and deposit in bank for time served, furnish meals, shelter (tents)

A year or so of this and it can be called a ''gap year'' in schooling and let them return to finish their studies. They will have learned what work is as well as maintence /repair of weed wacker or whatever device is assigned to them. They have a choice go back to school or use what you learned to make a living.

Edited by slapout

Abandon the idea of putting Vocational College Students in school uniforms?

It will at least give the more peaceable amongst them some anonymity, and allow them to avoid the gangs.

"More than a dozen students were involved and they were all thought to be gangs from the same college - Dusit Panichakorn."

How will abandoning uniforms help? The gang will just designate their own "uniform", like a red shirt for example.

Most are not capable of making a positive contribution to society now or in the future. Shackle a weed wacker to them and put them to keeping the roadside, waterways, etc free of vegetation. Put their school mates with them as they seem to run in packs. Pay them wages and deposit in bank for time served, furnish meals, shelter (tents)

A year or so of this and it can be called a ''gap year'' in schooling and let them return to finish their studies. They will have learned what work is as well as maintence /repair of weed wacker or whatever device is assigned to them. They have a choice go back to school or use what you learned to make a living.

Scub the stairs and halls of all public buildings so everyone can see them

I can add a bit more. Lots of older Thais have told me that in many of these schools the teachers, seniors and alumni tell the juniors 'you have to fight to build and maintain the glory of your school, and in many cases they are frightened to not obey.' How many students from other schools that you kill or injury is all part of the scorecard.

Thirty + years back I lived for six months in an apartment building on Petchaburi Road, Bkk. One of the senior teachers from a nearby vocational school also lived there.

He spoke English and often he came and sat at my table in the apartment restaurant uninvited. He had no other conversation except how he taught his students how to fight for the glory of their school, he mentioned many times how his students got information about where to find students from other vocational schools, and he openly talked about making weapons in the workshops at his school.

A TEACHER!!!??? sorry but <deleted>!!!??? what glory??? you know as a Thai young Male, it can be really stressful growing up as one might not know when he might die from getting attacked for no reason.

My Thai Bro-in-Law who is quite a decent guy who says he spents most of his teenage days studying n playing basketball was a victim of a gang attack as well. The gang that attacked him knew him from young and they were from the same MooBan. The gang just one day decided they dont like his goody two shoes face and attacked him.

My wife's cousin was killed by his 'friends'. Seems they coveted his possessions, i.e. his motorcycle. I had known this kid since he was 16. He was a good student, then got a job and worked his ass off. At 22 years old his friends jumped him, stole his money and motorcycle then partied for a few days. He regularly lent his motorcycle to these friends. Moreover, he was very generous with his earnings. It has been 2 years, but I still am angry about it. His family, (my in-laws) have forgiven these punks. I am not as accepting.