Customs may propose using Section 44 power to clear over 1,000 abandoned luxury cars at ports

webfact

Customs may propose using Section 44 power to clear over 1,000 abandoned luxury cars at ports

530_Custom-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Customs Department may consider proposing the use of Section 44 of the interim charter to clear over a thousand of imported luxury cars abandoned by importers at ports and free zones.

Director-general of the department Mr Kulis Sirisombat admitted of the abandoned luxury at ports and free zones, particularly at Laem Chabang port.

He said the matter is now under consideration and officials are looking through all laws and regulations and will propose to the Finance Ministry.

He said not only these luxury cars would be the burden of importers who have to pay rents for spaces to keep them, it was also burden of customs officials who have to inspect and check as these vehicles carry a high import tax of up to 328%.

If there regular inspection, they might be smuggled out like what had happened in the past, he said.

He said Section 44 might be proposed to speed up the procedure.

It will empower customs officials to restrict the timeframe of abandoned cars, and to tackle importers and warehouse operators giving spaces for these cars to park.

He said the likely lenient measure might be to lower import tax to attract importers to clear their cars out of the port’s, or a tough measure that will set deadline for importers to clear their cars within 3 or six months, or else they be seized and auctioned off.

A car importer Mr Thanin Prasarnkaew admitted that economic hardship was one reason that forced importers to fail to clear import tax for their cars.

He suggested the best option was to auction off all these cars.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/171695-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-08

Another one of these auctions no one hears about until after the event ..well, almost no one.

not entirely true....seize vehicles are regularly put up for auction and vehicles are listed online prior to auction date. I have Thai friends who bought luxury cars from these auctions before.

The government will get a little money from this but the same people who would have bought the cars will get them cheaper. They should have a lottery for these cars so that any Thai could own them for an 80baht ticket. I know the insurance is out of range but at least the wealthy don't have to be the only ones to benefit from these crimes.

328% import tax!!!

Insane, isn't it.

Criminal more like.

Do remind us all of the names of all the luxury Thai car manufacturers that foreign luxury imports such as these hinder.

And then we are told at the gates of the National Parks that we have to pay higher admission fees because we don't pay taxes.

You buy one imported car and pay more taxes that 80% of all Thais.

But that's besides the point. I am more concerned about the inflationary tendency of using Sec. 44 for all and everything.

Remember, no accountability and no appeal for orders given under Sec. 44!

Now the government can do whatever they want, give the cars for 10 baht or keep them for themselves. Sec. 44 prevents all objection and lawful handling of these cases.

The rue of law? RIP

I'm guessing those cars are stuck there for one reason and one reason only ... the importers had a deal with customs to get them through at "a lot less" than that 328% (weird number) import tax, but with the Army looking over their shoulders, the pastry tray couldn't be handed over to Customs, hence they are stuck there until one of the Army or Customs boys fancies a nice new hi-so car, pre-allocated before the "auction".

Or, all the importers have gone broke and they simply can't afford the taxes anymore. Nor can their customers. Sounds likely.

Another one of these auctions no one hears about until after the event ..well, almost no one.

not entirely true....seize vehicles are regularly put up for auction and vehicles are listed online prior to auction date. I have Thai friends who bought luxury cars from these auctions before.

Yeah, well do let us all know if they hear about the auctioning of these cars...

I can pm you my WhatsApp details if it would help speed up the spreading of the word...

You know just in case there are unfortunate delays in letting us all know...

Edited by Bluespunk

Yeah, well do let us all know if they hear about the auctioning of these cars...

I can pm you my WhatsApp details if it would help speed up the spreading of the word...

http://www.union-auction.com/

Well here is the site for those that are genuinely interested. Normally happens twice per year for luxury cars. Last years auction was even mentioned on thaivisa... so you can thank TV for spreading the word not me....

...may and might and blablabla....

...and crimes do not occur by themselves....

...problems what problems...

...justice what justice.....

...perfect way to get the criminals to acquire the vehicles....with no repercussions....

The government will get a little money from this but the same people who would have bought the cars will get them cheaper. They should have a lottery for these cars so that any Thai could own them for an 80baht ticket. I know the insurance is out of range but at least the wealthy don't have to be the only ones to benefit from these crimes.

The wealthy will just import 100 people to get the tickets ,then have the lottery officials rig the results in their favor.You will never see a lowly local getting one of these cars.

328% import tax!!!

Insane, isn't it.

No it isn't. Very few Thais pay income tax - I believe less than 10 percent - and the government has to get funds from somewhere. What better source than from those better-off people that can afford such vehicles. That is why wine is so expensive in Thailand. I don't know what the tax is on high-end phones, but that could be another source of revenue for the government. Imported furniture might be another.

http://www.union-auction.com/

Well here is the site for those that are genuinely interested. Normally happens twice per year for luxury cars. Last years auction was even mentioned on thaivisa... so you can thank TV for spreading the word not me....

Nice link but I'll believe it when I see it regarding these cars.