Social Security from US

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked here for 7 years as a teacher... I get SS and have for 5 years. I just adjust what I declare as earned over here to not go over the maximum earnings.

I don't know as it really matters since you aren't charged any tax on the money you earn here.

I worked here for 7 years as a teacher... I get SS and have for 5 years. I just adjust what I declare as earned over here to not go over the maximum earnings.

I don't know as it really matters since you aren't charged any tax on the money you earn here.

Surely you pay tax on your salary to the Thai tax office ?

You can NOT work more than 40 hours a week and get social security.

It does not matter how much you make when you work abroad. The only thing that matters is the amount of hours you work a month.

Makes no sense to me.

If SSA finds out you are working more than 40 hours a month, they will suspend your benefits and deduct what you got from your future benefits

It does not matter how much you make when you work abroad. The only thing that matters is the amount of hours you work a month.

Makes no sense to me.

If SSA finds out you are working more than 40 hours a month, they will suspend your benefits and deduct what you got from your future benefits

How would they find out? Your ex wife telling them? You are lucky to get a replacement card. I regret the day I apply for my earned benefits but I'm told the Manila office is actually friendly as long as you grasp Filipino English, which I of course do. O O

When receiving Social Security retirement benefits, there's no limit on the number of hours you can work. However, if you're under your Full Retirement Age -- which is 66 for those born 1943-1954 -- then your benefits might be reduced, depending on your earnings (not your work hours).

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3739/What-happens-if-I-work-and-get-Social-Security-retirement-benefits

If you're talking about Social Security disability benefits, the rules are more complex:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10095.pdf

Don't forget that if you're working overseas and you're self-employed, then you still owe Social Security tax on your earnings from self employment, even if those earnings aren't subject to Federal income tax because of the foreign earned income exclusion.

Edited by taxout

If you are not paying social security, you cannot apply for social security or receive it if you are working over 40 hours per month in Thailand and are under 67. If you are paying social security on the meager wages that they pay you here, then you are entitled on getting paid social security(should pay within the last three years). Call up the US Philippines Social Security and ask them. They will tell you the same thing. I am in the same boat when I turn 62. Remember this applies if you are applying while in Thailand. If you work in Thailand, money will go to a bank account and I am sure that they are currently asking for your social security number if you are from the US. So watch out!

No, please read the link above. Hours do not come into play for retirement benefits.

The link above refers to those who live in the United States.

When you work abroad and are under the full retirement age, you can't work more than 40 hours a month and get benefits.

Just call the Manila office as advised above. They are friendly and knowledgeable and will confirm what I said.

As for finding out if you work more than 40 hours, they do random update calls and yearly update forms are sent out.

Yes, it is the honor system and hard for them to find out, but do you want to take the chance?

Makes no sense to me.

Flat wrong. Read the links instead of making stuff up.

It's not quite as that poster described it, but it turns out there is indeed another gotcha hidden away in the Social Security rulebook:

"The foreign work test only applies to monthly benefits of those who work before attaining their full retirement age. Under the foreign work test, your monthly benefit is withheld for each calendar month that you (or a person entitled to benefits on your record) work:

1. Outside the U.S.;

2. In work for pay not covered by Social Security; and

3. For more than 45 hours."

https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home%2Fhandbook/handbook.18/handbook-1823.html

Makes no sense to me.

Flat wrong. Read the links instead of making stuff up.

I don't think so.

Here is the link again which taxout also posted.

https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home%2Fhandbook/handbook.18/handbook-1823.html

The only thing I got wrong is the amount of hours you can work.

It is 45 hours and not 40 hours.

Anyway.. SS benefits can be direct deposited into the Direct Express debit card from Comerica bank in Omaha. Its a US federal debit card, in which one cannot make deposits, only withdrawals.

It has a chip now, so should be good in Asia..

Alohz

Anyway.. SS benefits can be direct deposited into the Direct Express debit card from Comerica bank in Omaha. Its a US federal debit card, in which one cannot make deposits, only withdrawals.

It has a chip now, so should be good in Asia..

Alohz

The fees are very high for overseas withdrawal. See: https://www.usdirectexpress.com/edcfdtclient/docs/faq.html#17

$3 plus 3%.

• 3 weeks later...

I received a notice from SSA " Annual Reminder to Review Your Social Security Statement " . Unfortunately, SSA just changed their log on procedures and now require you to receive a mobile phone text as before you can access your account.  There appears to be a provision to receive a phone text while overseas.......but the block for the mobile phone only accepts 10 digits.  So, if I enter +6687111-2222 it says there's an error.  Even if I drop the +.  

I realize this is a new security feature of the SSA system....anyone out there know how to receive a text from them with a Thai mobile phone #?

I got an email from Social Security with the same info, about them moving to two-factor authentication for logging into the Social Security website starting now.

The second factor their system is using apparently is getting a telephone SMS message only. From their email and website, I didn't see any option to choose a different second factor for authentication, such as receiving a code number by email, or a recorded voice call, or similar.

See the following explanation from the SSA:

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/MoreInformationAboutMFA.html

Quoting in part:

Now, all new and current my Social Security account holders will need to provide a cell phone number able to receive text messages. People will not be able to access their personal my Social Security account if they do not have a cell phone or do not wish to provide the cell phone number. We expect to provide additional options in the future, dependent upon requirements of national guidelines currently being revised.

and then later:

We are limited to text messages for the initial MFA implementation due to technical and resource constraints, but we expect to provide additional options in the future.

We understand that not everyone may have a cell phone or cell service. However, research shows that an overwhelming majority of American adults have cell phones and use them for texting. This is our first step in adding security, and we expect future enhancements will provide other options.

Not that our good friends at the SSA would ever consider the possibility that some of their recipients or soon-to-be recipients might be living in places outside the U.S. where they might not be using or keeping U.S. mobile numbers. :whistling:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

"People will not be able to access their personal my Social Security account if they do not have a cell phone or do not wish to provide the cell phone number" Now hold on a minute.  What if a person does not have a cell phone or changes phones or plans or Sims.  Are they really saying I can't just go to the website and log on?  Will they be sending out some text or something else when I try to do that ? This is sounding nuts

10 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

"People will not be able to access their personal my Social Security account if they do not have a cell phone or do not wish to provide the cell phone number" Now hold on a minute.  What if a person does not have a cell phone or changes phones or plans or Sims.  Are they really saying I can't just go to the website and log on?  Will they be sending out some text or something else when I try to do that ? This is sounding nuts

Correct.  You can no longer go to the website and logon with your User Name and Password only....you must also receive a security code sent to your mobile U.S. number each time you logon....it arrives within a few seconds.  Then enter that security code and  you can complete the logon.

It will send the security code to the mobile number you have used on the previous logon or it offers you the choice to enter a new mobile number like if you changed plans/SIMs.  Or as mentioned earlier, if  you have a Google Voice number the code arrives at that number successfully also.

Edited by Pib
10 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

It's a new security trend, supposedly to stop fraud, be patient and it will soon come to your US based bank account 

As I mentioned earlier, you can expect to see more and more federal agencies and other sensitive businesses, like banks and such, adding multi-factor authentication to their online log-ins.

The unusual part about SS's recent move is they've begun to do MFA with only a SINGLE available method for the second factor, and that's SMSing to a U.S. phone.

Usually, when entities implement MFA, they do it by offering a choice of several various second factors that can be used, such as receiving an email, getting an SMS, receiving a voice call with a code, etc etc. Usually, for most Americans, they're going to have access to at least ONE of those various options.

But apparently in this case, SSA felt they could go ahead with only the SMS approach, perhaps forgetting that there are many many (tens or hundreds of thousands?) of Americans who live outside the U.S. around the globe -- and not all of them keep U.S. mobile numbers capable of receiving U.S. SMSs.

"But apparently in this case, SSA felt they could go ahead with only the SMS approach, perhaps forgetting that there are many many (tens or hundreds of thousands?) of Americans who live outside the U.S. around the globe -- and not all of them keep U.S. mobile numbers capable of receiving U.S. SMSs."

But you can't register without a U.S. mailing address! So SS already decided to disregard Americans living overseas.

Wow.   I am sure thousands upon thousands of seniors don't have cell phones.  I guess I am glad I own a lot ATT stock because now the government is forcing people to basically have cell phones and the resultant data plans.  And in my case, when overseas I do NOT use my USA cell phone because the overseas plan and prices are crap.  I just use a little old fashioned Thai cell phone that I do not list as any sort of contact phone.  I don't have a great need to access the SSN site yet, but it is good to be aware of future issues.

Thanks guys

2 hours ago, taxout said:

"But apparently in this case, SSA felt they could go ahead with only the SMS approach, perhaps forgetting that there are many many (tens or hundreds of thousands?) of Americans who live outside the U.S. around the globe -- and not all of them keep U.S. mobile numbers capable of receiving U.S. SMSs."

But you can't register without a U.S. mailing address! So SS already decided to disregard Americans living overseas.

I'd guess that probably more expats living abroad have some form of a U.S. mailing or mail forwarding address they can use vs. those who live abroad and maintain a U.S. mobile phone account...