Chiang Mai Chosen #2 in the World!

FolkGuitar

Did they mention to carry one's own gas mask when walking the Moat Road? Maybe YOU don't live in town, but those who do live in the city choke, gasp and cry for relief from the noxious and unnecessary air pollutants pumped out by the motor vehicles crawling along both sides of the moat.

True that a casual visitor who confines himself to the inner city or wanders only to Loi Kroh Rd may not get the full dose of daily pollution and thus accept the idea that CM is a swell holiday.

The first step surely must be to eliminate the Red Cars, or at least retro-fit every one to propane.

Nope actually I really don't live in the city...in CM you have 2 crowds...those who enjoy living inside the old city and its areas for the ease of transport / facilities and those who swear off the city and goes in when we have friends visiting.

I visit the old city once a month probably if I don't have any hospital visits etc or children clinics....more if my friends are in town for a day or two.

Edited by LawrenceChee

Yup. A DREAM city in my book...E X C E P T for the terrible vehicle exhaust pollution. It's astounding and bewildering that the government does control this, in such a really wonderful, thrilling city!!! So regretful!

Edited by sagra

Did they mention to carry one's own gas mask when walking the Moat Road? Maybe YOU don't live in town, but those who do live in the city choke, gasp and cry for relief from the noxious and unnecessary air pollutants pumped out by the motor vehicles crawling along both sides of the moat.

True that a casual visitor who confines himself to the inner city or wanders only to Loi Kroh Rd may not get the full dose of daily pollution and thus accept the idea that CM is a swell holiday.

The first step surely must be to eliminate the Red Cars, or at least retro-fit every one to propane.

As someone who lives in the city all I can say is ...... Miseryguts.

Thailand is great to live in, for various reasons, but the cities are not one of them. Chiang Mai is gridlocked and for 3 months of the year it feels like the apocalypse has occurred, due to the heavy air pollution. I can't think of anything I would show people inside the city but it is a nice area once you get out of town.

I choose my little village over Chiang Mai.

And the never ending lines of traffic.

From June until January I'd agree with them. Obviously their reviewers weren't present during the 'burn' season. I'm not sure how you make #2 when 3 months out of the year you can hardly breath the air.

Thailand is great to live in, for various reasons, but the cities are not one of them. Chiang Mai is gridlocked and for 3 months of the year it feels like the apocalypse has occurred, due to the heavy air pollution. I can't think of anything I would show people inside the city but it is a nice area once you get out of town.

I choose my little village over Chiang Mai.

Shhhh. Don't give the rest of the world any ideas. I'm one of two farangs living in the 50 km stretch of our mountain valley. I like it that way.

My one visit to Chiang Mai made me realise how good Pattaya is. Some nice old temples but won't bother going again.

Well, for someone who has reached a conclusion like this, we can only say, without malice, that we are not unhappy to see you go back to the place you like better, and, please, don't feel like you need to visit again.

cheers, ~o:37;

Bad News !!!...as this will sure bring in more people looking for places to stay, witch in it's turn will drive up the prices !!! more cars and motorbikes,

It's not like Chiang Mai is in shortage of a population !!!

Pfffft,...regards.

Don't worry the Thai haters will be on soon to tell you its all a conspiracy from TAT...........no one really likes Thailand.....etc etc..........coffee1.gif

Oh Sanukjim already beat me to it...........another plot a Jim........didn't fool you though...(you had the tin foil in already)

Edited by oxo1947

I like the quirky cafes I can still find ...I like the hipster feel at the art galleries and I like the old trees found in some old sois

Has its drawbacks - the streets are still not pedestrian friendly , the buses none existent, some places defy hygiene and no I am not eating those raw sausages

Since it's not a perfect city listing ...I can live with its quirks and I like it here

Been to many liveable cities like Vancouver Melbourne and Auckland ...without the soft spot for NZ the rest didn't really impress me and I have found my own paradise in Chiangmai and I'm happy ;)

It's good that different people have different choices..., and employ different criteria to make those favourite place choices. Chiang Mai as a city has has a definite charm about it...., regardless of it's less that optimum environment. I quite enjoy visiting for a month or 3..., during our southern hemisphere winter..., I don't think I'll be moving there though. CM's about as close as I want to be to a city...., for me a place has more cache if it has more of the unbuilt environment and less people living in that unbuilt environment.

Edited by Sandy Freckle

It's a travel magazine so I believe the rating represents a city to visit. I don't believe Charleston #1 would be the top livable city in the world...

My guess is it is not based on criteria but people responding to some simple survey or questionnaire and they counted noses to determine count....

I hope this ranking will help with my international home exchange next year! we'll see....

You can add libraries, performance of the Arts facilities, municipal parks, children friendly activities/venues, green space, bike lanes/friendly, trash/litter management etc to your list,

CB

I love living here, sure it's not perfect, immigration is a pain, but high season....well the weather is absolutely perfect for 3 or 4 months, it's like the England you get for 2 or 3 weekends a year every day.

12 years here for me now, I have never lived anywhere for longer than 6, and I have lived in 12 different houses in 40 years...HATE burning season, but who does'nt?

Think I will die happy here..where else?

I fly to Jakarta tomorrow, it's nowhere on that (15 places) list, but hey, they had a 20h jam last Tuesday with 18 dead. It's just like Songkran but without the alcohol (and the dead). Anyway, too much rain here now. See you soon :D

The magazine is called Travel+Leisure. It's not called "Places to Live". It's all about nice places for a short holiday for Americans. If you've never been to Chiang Mai, it is a pleasant place for a holiday -- during the right time of year. Surely most of us would agree on that.

The magazine is called Travel+Leisure. It's not called "Places to Live". It's all about nice places for a short holiday for Americans. If you've never been to Chiang Mai, it is a pleasant place for a holiday -- during the right time of year. Surely most of us would agree on that.

Seems a few may have outstayed their welcome whistling.gifcoffee1.gif