PM urges Thais to improve English skills

rooster59

One would think that Thailand should improve it's education laws first by not allowing these so called "Internatinal Schools" hiring teachers with no education backgruond (back packers ) from Chao San Road.Do you want to improve the Students of Thailand's English ( The one internatinal language) and Manderian Chinese (needed here in Asia) then use qualified teachers in lawful controlled schools..

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want the Thais to learn English then it starts in the education system.

You have to employ teachers who are native English speakers ie (English/Irish/American/Australians/NZ etc) to teach the kids English.

NOT Thais, Filipinos, Indians etc. as they will only teach them 'Tinglish' and not English. The kids would benefit so much by just listening to and talking to native English speakers.

I'm sure there are lots of native English speakers over here who would volunteer their time and language skills if asked. To learn English you have to experience different dialects and accents. You cannot learn that from a text book or a none native English speaker.

Why can't the Thai government create a 'Native English speaking volunteer teachers' association' similar to the foreign 'volunteer police'?

You would obviously have to vet them etc, but teaching qualifications wouldn't be necessary as they would be supervised by a qualified teacher. Their role would be to let the kids experience English spoken by a native English speaker and learn from them how to converse in "real life" English.

This would be better solution than any text book.

I taught a couple of classes English in Nakhon Sawan Province. Only as a visitor. But when I spoke to the Actual English Teachers (Thais) at the school their English was appalling to be polite bout it

So to improve English learning the schools are switching to Filipino teachers because they are cheaper and the hierarchy in the schools get a kick-back back from the employment agencies.

So students then get to learn that bastardised form of English the Americans use. You know that particular English dialect where, for example, "s" can become "z" when used in words like bastardised. My spell-checker has been bastardized as well.

clap2.gif

Thais are not serious about learning English. and the illegal junta PM isn't either. Just keeping up appearancess, that's all.

He can't speak any meaningful English at all. Hypocrites 'r' Us.

'Solly, me no unnerstan.'

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

You have to employ teachers who are native English speakers ie (English/Irish/American/Australians/NZ etc) to teach the kids English.

NOT Thais, Filipinos, Indians etc. as they will only teach them 'Tinglish' and not English. The kids would benefit so much by just listening to and talking to native English speakers.

I'm sure there are lots of native English speakers over here who would volunteer their time and language skills if asked. To learn English you have to experience different dialects and accents. You cannot learn that from a text book or a none native English speaker.

Why can't the Thai government create a 'Native English speaking volunteer teachers' association' similar to the foreign 'volunteer police'?

You would obviously have to vet them etc, but teaching qualifications wouldn't be necessary as they would be supervised by a qualified teacher. Their role would be to let the kids experience English spoken by a native English speaker and learn from them how to converse in "real life" English.

I taught a couple of classes English in Nakhon Sawan Province. Only as a visitor. But when I spoke to the Actual English Teachers (Thais) at the school their English was appalling to be polite bout it

Years ago before I moved here my wife went all the local schools in Nakhon Sawan province looking for a good English teacher, she is reasonably educated. Not one even came close to her English which was then far from proficient. I fear that without "educated" native English speakers as teachers this will not change.

They need NES to teach. There are things in the English language, like in the Thai language, that only a native speaker will understand. Training Thai's to teach English is very much a non-starter. Thailand has to hire proper NES teachers if they genuinely want the country to be on a level footing with the rest of the world

See this argued a lot and I disagree especially up to quite advanced levels. What is essential is strong teaching skills. As well as growing speaking some form of English NES teachers would be much better if they can demonstrate they have a strong capability in a second language so that they will understand what is involved in learning a foreign language rather than just acquiring it over tens of thousands of hours of immersion growing up. They would also be better if they have a reasonable knowledge of Thai so that they can understand the differences from that language which students will need to come to grips with. Also farangs beginning to learn Thai or foreigners starting to learn pretty much any language almost always elect to have a teacher who can explain concepts in their own language and use bilingual learning materials. Very few NES teachers in Thailand can do this. Someone who has learned English as a second language is also more likely to understand and be able to explain odd features and exceptions in the language as they will have struggled to learn them. NES will never have given them much thought and probably will only be able to say "we say this we don't say that".

Yes, it isn't essential to have NES to teach English up to a high level. Just look at Malaysia and Singapore. English is spoken fluently and is taught in schools by native Malaysians and Singaporeans. I doubt very much that a NES would be able to make a living teaching English in these countries.

They need NES to teach. There are things in the English language, like in the Thai language, that only a native speaker will understand. Training Thai's to teach English is very much a non-starter. Thailand has to hire proper NES teachers if they genuinely want the country to be on a level footing with the rest of the world

See this argued a lot and I disagree especially up to quite advanced levels. What is essential is strong teaching skills. As well as growing speaking some form of English NES teachers would be much better if they can demonstrate they have a strong capability in a second language so that they will understand what is involved in learning a foreign language rather than just acquiring it over tens of thousands of hours of immersion growing up. They would also be better if they have a reasonable knowledge of Thai so that they can understand the differences from that language which students will need to come to grips with. Also farangs beginning to learn Thai or foreigners starting to learn pretty much any language almost always elect to have a teacher who can explain concepts in their own language and use bilingual learning materials. Very few NES teachers in Thailand can do this. Someone who has learned English as a second language is also more likely to understand and be able to explain odd features and exceptions in the language as they will have struggled to learn them. NES will never have given them much thought and probably will only be able to say "we say this we don't say that".

Yes, it isn't essential to have NES to teach English up to a high level. Just look at Malaysia and Singapore. English is spoken fluently and is taught in schools by native Malaysians and Singaporeans. I doubt very much that a NES would be able to make a living teaching English in these countries.

You would be incorrect. Many NES teachers are making a living teaching English in Malaysia at least. I was one of them myself. English is at a higher level in these 2 places due to the fact they were British colonies and had a great head start. But many people from the outlying provinces and also a large part of the immigrant population from South Asia (India/Sri Lanka), Indonesia and China still require English instruction in schools.

Bravo Mr. Prayut

There is much miss-communication between Thai and farang and missed a lot business.

It is a pity you are already far behind Cambodia, Vietnam

Get people from the Philippines, because they had at school all their lessons in English, can read, write and speak...and are cheap... so you can get many teachers.from a good quality.

Many Thai can only speak, but not write or read English.

Hehee!!

Hehee!!

You made me smile.

Leave it to you to applaud this and recommend Philippine teachers and the other absurd comments you added about their qualifications. All be it! You Miss-spelled in your comment. Oops! So much for writing! Then you claim they can speak English> What good is learning to speak if the pronunciation is incorrect. May as well continue using Thai teachers.

You were correct about one thing though. They can and are paid less. Why is that? Because they are not native speakers and they make many mistakes in both grammar and pronunciation.

Bravo Mr. Prayut

There is much miss-communication between Thai and farang and missed a lot business.

Get people from the Philippines, because they had at school all their lessons in English, can read, write and speak...and are cheap... so you can get many teachers.from a good quality.

You are joking right? Many Filipino teachers here have appalling English skills. Sure, maybe better than a lot of Thais, but certainly not suitable to teach a reasonable standard of English.

Many cannot explain English grammar, make copious spelling mistakes, speak with heavy accents causing Thai kids to emulate that, and choose the wrong English words and expressions in written prose.

My daughter's old school replaced almost all the native English speakers with Filipinos in their English program. The standard plummeted and several children have left for other schools.

Bravo Mr. Prayut

Hope your not applying for a job. Just as a student.

Agree with you. You don't have to be a NES to teach English and nor does being a NES make you a teacher automatically.

People teaching English need to have the appropriate qualification in the English language, and be qualified teachers.

I see many Filipinos who have just graduated, in a subject other than English, with no or little experience in teaching, coming here and being expected to teach English. It's a nonsense. Just because they're cheap.

Agree with you. You don't have to be a NES to teach English and nor does being a NES make you a teacher automatically.

People teaching English need to have the appropriate qualification in the English language, and be qualified teachers.

I see many Filipinos who have just graduated, in a subject other than English, with no or little experience in teaching, coming here and being expected to teach English. It's a nonsense. Just because they're cheap.

That's been the only post of yours that I agree with.

Progress of a sort I suppose...

Winnie

I always tell my students to watch English language news and read online. So, Mr. PM, unblock dailymail.co.uk and let them read it. gigglem.gif

Tell your students to use the TOR browser, then they will have unlimited access to information.

Possibly if they worked for the British Council otherwise I would very much doubt it

Unlike most of Thailand's neighbours, Thailand appears not to have a dedicated English language TV service. A dedicated English language channel would go some way towards seeing the PMs wishes come to fruition. It's worth watching the news at 1800 hours on Vietnam Television (VTV), just to hear the difference between those educated in England to those educated in the USA (good instructional aid).

Unlike most of Thailand's neighbours, Thailand appears not to have a dedicated English language TV service. A dedicated English language channel would go some way towards seeing the PMs wishes come to fruition. It's worth watching the news at 1800 hours on Vietnam Television (VTV), just to hear the difference between those educated in England to those educated in the USA (good instructional aid).

Lip Service does not require that any actual actions need to be taken. BS is plenty good enough.

Winnie

write all the comic ghost stories in English. English ghost stories on the television. Tell them all they will all be rich and win the lottery if they can speak good English. Finaly tell them they don't need amulets in the car because people who speak English don't have accidents

With this Thai government's love affair with the Chinese...I would suggest learning Mandarin first and English second...both will help keep one employed in the future...

Bravo Mr. Prayut

Ooops ! I see from your grammar you are not a native English speaker. So you think poorly paid teachers from the Philippines are good quality. Sorry, not from my experience.

Bravo Mr. Prayut

Ooops ! I see from your grammar you are not a native English speaker. So you think poorly paid teachers from the Philippines are good quality. Sorry, not from my experience.

If I have to listen one more time to a Filipino attempting to teach English with the most atrocious American slang accent I will scream. Please, stop telling me to have a good day!

Stop the cheap imported Filipino/Filipinas from teaching, I have great difficulty understanding them and can't spot a Thai easily if they've been taught by one.

Only native speakers and allow some of us to volunteer our time.

I disagree I have met some very good Filipino teachers BUT many working in Thai schools are not the best English speaking Filipinos, they tend to stay at home and have relatively lucrative careers in the numerous international call centres. Filipinos need to realise that we non Thai teachers should work TOGETHER. Unfortunately that is rarely the case!

In my experience ( which may not be universal) the Filipino teachers I know speak good (grammatically accurate) English, albeit with American idioms and spelling, but with an appalling and at times impenetrable accent - which rubs off on the children they teach.

"Casualbiker" is also spot on when it comes to "working together" - the Fillipinos stick together, and have as little as possible to do with the Thais and other nationalities.

Edited by JAG

As a multilingual, I would have to respectfully disagree. The #1 problem is and will continue to be the lack of English radio and TV, in addition to lack of practice. It's a fact that Thais in general can read and write English a lot better than they can speak it, and one of the main reasons their English is lacking is that they don't hear it and/or get a chance to speak it often enough.

Another major factor that your post neglects, is that Thai teachers normally speak Thai constantly during their English classes, while writing English on the Black Board. Had they been forced to speak more English to their students (and had the English skills to do so), the general population would have far better English skills.

Edited by Sirbergan

By the way the travel industry looks he should have included Russian and Chinese also.

Especially Chinese with all the so called deals he's doing with them. Unless the Billion dollar submarines comes with user intructions in Thai!

Russians and Chinese use English as the International language.

Infact, everyone does nowadays

But that would require proper english teachers...not the 35k backpacker type.

From my own experience, good teachers come in many different forms.

Some are, believe it or not, backpackers, some earn more or less than ฿ 35,000 per month, some are young or old, handsome or not so handsome, etc. But one thing all "good teachers" have in common is a "genuine desire to help their students to learn, practice and reproduce the language, to reach out to them [the students] and encourage them to try". To teach them something relevant to their lives.

I've met quite a few teachers here with impressive degrees from very reputable institutes in the UK and the USA who either 1) don't give a t*ss about their pupils or 2) don't know how to grade their English to the student's level).

Speaking of "proper English" - it's actually written with a capital "E". No need for you to apply for any of the teaching jobs then, eh? ? Just kidding!

But I've also seen many native speakers with absolutely atrocious spelling mistakes.