Condos rotting?

I live in a 30 year old house ant the rebar is slowly rusting away,

it's called concrete cancer where i come from, it can be repaired

but i live near the beach so we are all doomed.

The lifespan of a condo also has to do with how many people pay

levies, once they stop your condo is on the path of deterioration.

I think rebar in concrete isn't supposed to rust, if it is installed correctly, which means the rebar is surrounded by thick enough concrete at all sides and the concrete has been vibrated to remove all air bubbles.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When any building has concrete in its construction.It is valued on 55 years.That is in the west.If you look at many buildings built 30 years ago in spain.They now want pulling down.There is more to concrete than people understand.There have been problems in the past ,even in the west.Now they are a lot more strict.Every load should be tested and conform to standards,If there is a problem they stop pouring,and they remove everything and start again.Now this is thailand.They only care money.and dont give a dam about farangs condo,s.Even thai government projects have problems.So my answer to you on a thai condo.Dont think of more than 5 years.Thai,s only sell them straight away to farangs.I keep getting told by many farangs to invest in thailand condo,s.Bullshit.The thai,s know many farangs are stu[pid with there money.My advice is steer clear.If you are in pattaya there is a condo block never finished.Been left for about 10 years now.If you are on first road 300yards past centrel road towards soi 6.Look opposite direction from beach.You can see how bad it was built,so they stopped.Its about 8 floors high and about 80 yards long.

WOW, I learn something every day. I always thought the issue was poor construction

quality or defective materials. I did not realize the construction process/design was

basically flawed. I am shocked. How can it be allowed to continue world wide. blink.png

There's a beautiful house on a couple of acres in San Pu Loei near Chiang Mai. The walls are cracking, all the pipes leak. Huge house, about 50 squares, can be rented for 8000 baht/month. It's only 15 years old.

One more reason that renting a condo may prove to be more cost effective. Especially with the humidity and salt air in Thailand. It'll be interesting to see how long some of them last before they're condemned for safety or just high maintenance costs.

Even if the condo only lasts 50 years i think that is longer than i will be around and still makes buying a much better bet than renting.

Problem is after 10 years condos look like ghetto and after 2 years they would probably be a safety hazard in any "nanny" state.

One more reason that renting a condo may prove to be more cost effective. Especially with the humidity and salt air in Thailand. It'll be interesting to see how long some of them last before they're condemned for safety or just high maintenance costs.

Even if the condo only lasts 50 years i think that is longer than i will be around and still makes buying a much better bet than renting.

Problem is after 10 years condos look like ghetto and after 2 years they would probably be a safety hazard in any "nanny" state.

I have a condo in a 20+ year development. It is neither a ghetto or unsafe. Such twaddle

Thailand Thailand Thailand....my ex brother in law is a chartered surveyor in the UK and makes a very good living inspecting buildings for clients who are intesested in puchasing said buildings - industrial/commercial buildings, particularly those built in the 1970's for the problems described here.

It's commonly called concrete cancer and is a worldwide phenomenon.

I have a condo in a 20+ year development. It is neither a ghetto or unsafe. Such twaddle

It depends on the original build quality. Riverside in Chiang Mai was originally intended to be a hospital. Although it's old, it is solidly built. On the other hand, there are condos here constructed from toad s##t, cardboard and beeswax.

I'm going to open one of those companies that does explosive demolitions.

Boom Boom Short Time Ltd.

A few guys with flip flops @ 300b a day. Sounds legit. What could go wrong?

Will it be based in Nana Plaza, or Soi Cowboy?

I'm going to open one of those companies that does explosive demolitions.

Boom Boom Short Time Ltd.

A few guys with flip flops @ 300b a day. Sounds legit. What could go wrong?

Just start a fire with some aircraft fuel, the building will collapse in no time.