Proof of income for extension of stay based on marriage - non-retiree, non-dependent

Hi all,

I can't seem to find two consistent answers on this from any two sources, so I thought I'd bring it here. I'm not retired, and neither my spouse nor myself are entirely dependant on one another. She's Thai, I'm American, and we're both in our 30s and make between 40,000 and 70,000 baht per month.

I need to extend my stay through marriage, but I can't find any straight information regarding how to prove my income. Some people are saying income affidavit, but the only income affidavit I see at the US embassy website is for retirement only, not for working people like myself. We keep all our money in the US, so the 400k Thai bank account is out of the question - esp. as we have to extend next month. Also, I don't have a work permit, and am being paid a stipend by my US employer (graduate school) while I'm present in Thailand. Thus the 40,000.

I feel like I'm caught in a bit of an odd bind. None of the resources are written for me, and there's not really any straight information on my particular sort of case. Also, I have a feeling I'm breaking the law.

As it stands, I'm filling out a blank affidavit form declaring my on-average monthly income and where it's coming from. Will this work? Or will I need more than a few lines of my sloppy handwriting? And, more importantly, am I about to pay 1500 baht for a worthless document?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Head to Laos Savannakhet.

No income proof needed and I am actually right here today at the embassy , they don't ask and don't check as confirmed by many who have done it here before, it's straight forward and no dramas and you get the 1 year multiple entry or single entry O visa. Apply by 11am , get it the next day by 2pm.

Direct flights from Bangkok on Laos airlines (1 hr and half) . I applied based on marriage reasons and like you I work abroad, not retired in my 40s, and have no assets here tied for 400k in a bank as my money flow is fluid and well supported overseas rather than in Thailand.

Edited by LawrenceChee

Some people are saying income affidavit, but the only income affidavit I see at the US embassy website is for retirement only, not for working people like myself.

If you look on the US embassy citizens' services section, in the description it does mention "retirement," but that's somewhat misleading since people seeking an extension based on marriage also use the same affidavit. Your situation is not unique. A copy of the same affidavit is sometimes used by some people when obtaining a visa outside Thailand or doing a visa entry conversion in Bangkok. There is only one acceptable form issued by the US embassy to certify income for immigration purposes.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

If you use the US embassy affidavit, it does not mention the word retirement anywhere. It simply notes that you are applying for a Thai visa or extension [of stay]. The affidavit is addressed to The Immigration Bureau and asks them to assist you.

I am applying for a Thai visa/ or extension of a current Thai visa and any assistance you can provide in this request will be greatly appreciated.

Download the affidavit. Fill it in and print it. Make an appointment at the embassy in Bangkok or consulate in Chiang Mai or attend one of their consular outreach visits. Wait to sign the affidavit in front of a consular officer. You'll need to show them your passport and pay the notary charge. It is an affidavit so you will be asked if the information given is true and correct.

Form link below.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/income_affidavit_template.pdf

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

On the point of extension based on marriage

I have checked various visa agents web sites who give different opinions

Can the income for marriage extension come from savings + pension combined or has it to be one source pension or income ?????

different sites give different advice Looking for clarification from someone on marriage extension Thanks

Can the income for marriage extension come from savings + pension combined or has it to be one source pension or income ?????

different sites give different advice Looking for clarification from someone on marriage extension Thanks

A combination of money in the bank and income is not allowed. From clause 2.18 of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

The income statement at the U.S. embassy Is enough to be accepted.

If you read that statement carefully all the consulate official who signs it states is:

• That you appeared before him
  • That he verified your identity as a U.S. citizen. (your passport).
  • That he accepted what you told him
  • And that he is acknowledging what you said is what is what he heard you say.
  • Other than the above he makes no claims about the truth of the matter.
  • Note....that in the case of being contested the U.S. embassy will NOT defend your statements, because the limit of what they certify is what is stated above.

The form makes no other claims, and it is also used for marriage income extensions as well as retirement.

It is just a general form to declare income

Fortunately, it is accepted by immigration.

However, if you want more proof, you might consider getting some kind of letter from whoever pays you monthly, or however you receive your monthly income.

Most banks or employers will do such a statement, but they might want a fee to do that.

Once you have such a letter, have it translated into Thai....the embassy can give you a list of approved Thai translators they use for documents.... and then make copies of the original letter and the translations.

But, frankly, I've never heard of the embassy statement being questioned.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

It really depends on what your embassy will certify.

"Savings" i.e. money held in a bank or other financial institution in your home country is not "income," but if it is generating regular interest payments or other distributions to you, you might include that as well as other investment income along with pension payments, etc ... but it really depends on your embassy as to what they will certify in an affidavit for immigrations.

The income statement at the U.S. embassy Is enough to be accepted.

If you read that statement carefully all the consulate official who signs it states is:

• That you appeared before him
  • That he verified your identity as a U.S. citizen. (your passport).
  • That he accepted what you told him
  • And that he is acknowledging what you said is what is what he heard you say.
  • Other than the above he makes no claims about the truth of the matter.
  • Note....that in the case of being contested the U.S. embassy will NOT defend your statements, because the limit of what they certify is what is stated above.

The form makes no other claims, and it is also used for marriage income extensions as well as retirement.

It is just a general form to declare income

Fortunately, it is accepted by immigration.

However, if you want more proof, you might consider getting some kind of letter from whoever pays you monthly, or however you receive your monthly income.

Most banks or employers will do such a statement, but they might want a fee to do that.

Once you have such a letter, have it translated into Thai....the embassy can give you a list of approved Thai translators they use for documents.... and then make copies of the original letter and the translations.

But, frankly, I've never heard of the embassy statement being questioned.

"But, frankly, I've never heard of the embassy statement being questioned."

I think there have been a few cases where immigration offices have asked for some documentation to support claims made in a embassy affidavit. Rare, but it could happen. Not sure what might raise their suspicions about the claims made.

I always submit pension, social security, etc documents along with the affidavit, not for the embassy but for immigrations. If the documents are in English, they do not need to be translated to Thai. I get them each year ahead of time just in case, since I wouldn't want to scramble to get them if I were asked at application time. I also include my Thai bank book photocopies & manager's letter to demonstrate that money is regularly coming from foreign sources and being used. I know these backup documentations are not requirements, but I prefer to have all bases covered.

• Like 1

Although I have more than enough income to meet the requirements of my retirement visa, I am always amazed that when get the annual proof of income statement from the USA embassy, I am never asked for proof.

Would a Thai tax return for the previous year be acceptable proof of earnings?

Yes it could be used to apply for an extension based upon marriage to meet 40k baht income if you have a work permit to prove it came from working legally.

Although I have more than enough income to meet the requirements of my retirement visa, I am always amazed that when get the annual proof of income statement from the USA embassy, I am never asked for proof.

They are not allowed to.

Yes it could be used to apply for an extension based upon marriage to meet 40k baht income if you have a work permit to prove it came from working legally.

Would not the fact that that the returns had been filed and a refund granted make it legal representation?

I work contracting and the work permit for previous year has completed, so would a copy of the WP be acceptable.

This is hyperthetical as I have more than enough money in a Thai bank to support the aplication.

Would not the fact that that the returns had been filed and a refund granted make it legal representation?

I work contracting and the work permit for previous year has completed, so would a copy of the WP be acceptable.

This is hyperthetical as I have more than enough money in a Thai bank to support the aplication.

When you apply for the extension they want proof you have an income on the date you apply. The would expect to to see tax payments for some income from the date of the tax return was done.

Hey guys, thanks for all the help! I've got my income affidavit from the embassy, and now I have another question - quite simply, what else should I expect to have to present at Chaengwattana immigration? Every source I check seems to have a slightly different list. The ones that stand out as the most confusing are as follows:

- Marriage certificate - will the certificate we got from the Thai embassy in New York be enough? Or, do we need something else?

- Map to our residence in Thailand. Necessary in Bangkok? Or, is this just something we need if we're living in the provinces? Also, does it really need to be hand-drawn, or will a simple google maps print-out suffice?

- Photos of my wife and I. This one is really odd - do the pictures need to be taken at our apartment? Some sources seem to think so. Also, is this a provinces-only requirement, or will they want it in Bangkok, too?

- Will there be a problem that my wife's tabien baan is for her hometown, but my registered residence (and she lives here too) is in Bangkok?

and finally,

- Should we expect to be interviewed / interrogated?

Hey guys, thanks for all the help! I've got my income affidavit from the embassy, and now I have another question - quite simply, what else should I expect to have to present at Chaengwattana immigration? Every source I check seems to have a slightly different list. The ones that stand out as the most confusing are as follows:

- Marriage certificate - will the certificate we got from the Thai embassy in New York be enough? Or, do we need something else?

- Map to our residence in Thailand. Necessary in Bangkok? Or, is this just something we need if we're living in the provinces? Also, does it really need to be hand-drawn, or will a simple google maps print-out suffice?

- Photos of my wife and I. This one is really odd - do the pictures need to be taken at our apartment? Some sources seem to think so. Also, is this a provinces-only requirement, or will they want it in Bangkok, too?

- Will there be a problem that my wife's tabien baan is for her hometown, but my registered residence (and she lives here too) is in Bangkok?

and finally,

Have you registered you marriage at an Amphoe? You will need the Kor Ror 22 issued for a foreign marriage to apply for the extension.

If you registered your marriage at the consulate in NY it should be easy to register your marriage at a Amphoe. Check with you local Khet since you appear to be in Bangkok.

The following is a general list of the required documents and etc. need to apply for the extension.

Unless you are applying at Bangkok you will need 2 sets of copies attached to 2 TM7 application.forms.

Proof of 400k baht in the bank for 2 months by way of a letter from your bank and your bank book.or 40k baht income.proven by a income letter from your embassy.

Copies of your passport photo page and every page that has any stamp or visa for Thailand on it. Copy of TM6 departure card.

Marriage certificate and a updated Kor Ror 2 marriage registry (Kor Ror 22 for foreign marriages)

Copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

Photos of you and your wife in and around the house. One must show you both with the house number shown in it. The number of photos needed varies by office.

Map to your residence from the nearest main road or street.

Proof of residence if not living where your wife's house book is for.

Some offices may want witnesses when you apply. (not needed in Bangkok)

and finally,

• You will also need the Kor Ror 22 which you can get from the local Amphoe.
  • Yes you need a map. A google map should be accepted. You can always draw a handwritten map if the IO processing the application requests it.
  • You should have photos of you together;

Outside the apartment building, showing the name of the building.

Outside your apartment door showing the apartment number.

A few inside the apartment. Preferably with one sitting on your bed.

Include any children if you have them.

• It is ok if your wife's Tabien Baan lists an address outside Bangkok.
  • They might want proof of address for Bangkok. Rental agreement and or a TM30 form completed by the owner of the apartment.
  • Not interrogated. But your wife will be questioned about how you met etc. The photos and interview are so the IO can evidence that your marriage is real.

• You will also need the Kor Ror 22 which you can get from the local Amphoe.
  • Yes you need a map. A google map should be accepted. You can always draw a handwritten map if the IO processing the application requests it.
  • You should have photos of you together;

Outside the apartment building, showing the name of the building.

Outside your apartment door showing the apartment number.

A few inside the apartment. Preferably with one sitting on your bed.

Include any children if you have them.

• It is ok if your wife's Tabien Baan lists an address outside Bangkok.
  • They might want proof of address for Bangkok. Rental agreement and or a TM30 form completed by the owner of the apartment.
  • Not interrogated. But your wife will be questioned about how you met etc. The photos and interview are so the IO can evidence that your marriage is real.

- The Kor Ror 22 would be from the Amphoe where we currently live, not my wife's hometown, yes?

- Will it be a problem if the photos are clearly taken for this exact purpose? We don't have any photos of us together at home, never occurred to us to take them.

- Should the rental agreement be translated into Thai? And, do we need the translation to be notarized? As it stands, our agreement is only in English.

- The Kor Ror 22 would be from the Amphoe where we currently live, not my wife's hometown, yes?

- Will it be a problem if the photos are clearly taken for this exact purpose? We don't have any photos of us together at home, never occurred to us to take them.

- Should the rental agreement be translated into Thai? And, do we need the translation to be notarized? As it stands, our agreement is only in English.

You can do the registration to get the Kor Ror at the local Amphoe.

They expect the photos to be taken just for the extension since they want them to be recently taken.

The may accept the rental agreement in English. In not a translation by a certified translator would be enough.

Great, thank you so much!

If you don't mind, I have more questions - will I need any of the following? Some places seem to think so -

- Medical and police reports? Do I need to go get a physical done asap?

- "Permission to marry" form? What is this - is it only for people from the UK?

- Recorded interview?

Great, thank you so much!

If you don't mind, I have more questions - will I need any of the following? Some places seem to think so -

- Medical and police reports? Do I need to go get a physical done asap?

- "Permission to marry" form? What is this - is it only for people from the UK?

- Recorded interview?

No, no, no and no.

If getting married in Thailand the foreigner has to provide and affidavit confirming they are free to marry.

No problem. They are required for the exact purpose. Immigration officers are under orders to get proof that the marriage is real, therefore, they ask for recent photos showing you together in your marital home. It's meant to cut down on fraudulent applications, but I doubt it has much impact!

You can use the income affidavit to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. I have already done it 8 times and already have the affidavit for the next one.

Do you need a new income affidavit every year or can you use the one you used before, my extension based on marriage is coming up soon, will I have to go to the embassy and get a new one every year?

You can use the income affidavit to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. I have already done it 8 times and already have the affidavit for the next one.

Do you need a new income affidavit every year or can you use the one you used before, my extension based on marriage is coming up soon, will I have to go to the embassy and get a new one every year?
You'll need a new one every year. They will usually accept affidavits dated within 6 months.

Hey guys, after a bit of a hiatus, I have some more questions -

First, regarding proof of residence: I have found out that the agent who acts as my go-between with the owner of the condo I rent is out of the country until Aug. 5, the date my visa expires. Unfortunately, my current lease agreement is in English, and apparently expired last summer - but, the owner never asked us to formally extend it. Is there any other way that I can offer proof of residence? Say, a notarized affidavit or some such? Or, will this kill the application?

Second, regarding the kor ror 2. My wife says that when we registered our marriage with the Thai embassy in New York, the document they gave us IS the kor ror 2. Is this true? For the record, we were married in the US. We registered our marriage the day we were married. The document in question is titled ใบสัมคัญแสดงการจดทะเบียนสมรส, formally translated into English as "certificate of the registration of marriage." It bears the seal of the Thai government and is in both English and Thai. Does this sound accurate?

Thanks again in advance, and thanks for all of the invaluable advice you've already provided.