Does the embassy in Hanoi really ask for an air ticket leaving Thailand?

I am going for a single entry tourist visa. In the requirements they say:

• Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)
  • Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family.

But do they really ask for it in the embassy?? Or is it a question of luck? If they ask for it is there anyway or solving this without buying an air ticket I won't use?

Same thing about the bank statement. Thanks.

Yes they will ask you for a ticket....and they will want to see it.

They also will ask in Ho Chi Minh City for the same thing.

They may not want to see the Cash.....if you have a Thai bank account and bring the bankbook with you as proof.

However they will photocopy your Thai bankbook, and submit that copy with your application.

I know, I got a 60 day single entry visa, and that is my experience.

Believe me.

This I the 4th time I've posted that info in the last two weeks.

Yes they will ask you for a ticket....and they will want to see it.

They also will ask in Ho Chi Minh City for the same thing.

They may not want to see the Cash.....if you have a Thai bank account and bring the bankbook with you as proof.

However they will photocopy your Thai bankbook, and submit that copy with your application.

I know, I got a 60 day single entry visa, and that is my experience.

Believe me.

This I the 4th time I've posted that info in the last two weeks.

Can I just show a bus ticket from Bangkok to Cambodia?

I got a single entry visa last year in Saigon and had to produce an air ticket out of Thailand. or no-go The cheapest I could find was to Singapore which I bought but never used. It has been suggested to look for a ticket that can be cancelled and refunded. Another example of TAT spending $millions to attract tourists only to have Thai Immigration make it as difficult as possible for them.

• Like 1

Yes they do, and they want a print out of the confirmation. I booked a throwaway, DMK -Vientiane

on Air Asia, no luggage, (departing today) no insurance, no seat pick and it was 1080 baht.

It left without me 4 hours ago. tongue.png

No proof of funds asked for. (but I did have it. coffee1.gif

Edited by Ulic
  • Like 1

I got a single entry visa last year in Saigon and had to produce an air ticket out of Thailand. or no-go The cheapest I could find was to Singapore which I bought but never used. It has been suggested to look for a ticket that can be cancelled and refunded. Another example of TAT spending $millions to attract tourists only to have Thai Immigration make it as difficult as possible for them.

TAT is promoting for tourists to come to Thailand which a real tourist will have a departure flight.

I have never had that problem I simply state that I am traveling overland sightseeing and intend to exit the country via a land border . As long as you know the border crossing name and how you are getting there ,be it by bus, train ,taxi, boat or minivan ,which is a question they will ask I have never had a problem . I have travelled to China , Vietnam , Cambodia , Malaysia ,Thailand, Myanmar and Laos saying the same thing

I have never had that problem I simply state that I am traveling overland sightseeing and intend to exit the country via a land border . As long as you know the border crossing name and how you are getting there ,be it by bus, train ,taxi, boat or minivan ,which is a question they will ask I have never had a problem . I have travelled to China , Vietnam , Cambodia , Malaysia ,Thailand, Myanmar and Laos saying the same thing

It depends on where you buy the visa. Some Embassies/Consulates don't ask, but others will insist on an onward flight and if you can't provide it they won't issue the visa. It is a MFA requirement that some Consular services waive/ignore.

Is an outward ticket within 90 days (as opposed to 60) accepted? I need to do this soon, but plan to extend the 60 day permission at immigration in Bangkok.

While not certain, I do not think Hanoi will accept a confirmed outward flight leaving more than 60 days after your booked inward flight. The possibility of extensions, and side trips to other countries by land does not enter into their calculations.

Thai airways allows you to confirm a booking without paying. Does anybody know if the booking confirmation is enough?

Unless they are very naive, they may trip you up on that one by asking for an e-ticket. A booking is only a reservation, but needs a ticket number to be a ticket.

Is an outward ticket within 90 days (as opposed to 60) accepted? I need to do this soon, but plan to extend the 60 day permission at immigration in Bangkok.

They accepted an outward ticket confirmation to Canada 75 days from start of visa.... so I would say yes.

They accepted an outward ticket confirmation to Canada 75 days from start of visa.... so I would say yes.

I have something similar myself, a confirmed outward ticket around 80 days from the proposed date of the visa. To insist on a ticket out within 60 days makes no sense at all, as it discludes the legitimate 30 day extension that's available on the visa. Hopefully they'll be reasonable. In my case it's HCMC rather than Hanoi, but I presume they apply a similar interpretation of the rules.

Edited by lamyai3

When I came into Bangkok last Saturday there was a scrolling board at immigration that had a page saying to have your documents ready for immigration.

Passport, Arrival card, Boarding card and Return ticket.

May have been there a while but first time I have noticed that 'Return ticket' had been added.