Beware! have you got official number plates?

I am not complaining , but i have never heard this in 23 years and i know two places within a mile of where i live that advertize plate making , if i had known its not a problem for me to get an official plate ,i just did not know you had to , also what about the "colored" plates you see on so many cars , also in the UK you can get plates made anywhere no problem

Coloured plates are normally official plates, just more expensive

As folks are saying, the regulation has always been that the vehicle number plates must be official and issued by the DLT showing the 'embossed stamp'.

Why are there places which make 'fake plates'? the answer to that one is easy... because they can and often get away with it.

The coloured plates (generally yellow) on the normal cars (not taxi's, limo's or company vehicles) are for the 'pretty numbers' which people have paid for through an auction system.

Yellow plates are for taxis, not the same as fancy plates for personal vehicles.

You mean this guy who paid +20 million Baht for that number is driving a taxi?

post-249019-0-28140200-1468547260_thumb.

Edited by Berty100

Coloured plates are normally official plates, just more expensive

As folks are saying, the regulation has always been that the vehicle number plates must be official and issued by the DLT showing the 'embossed stamp'.

Why are there places which make 'fake plates'? the answer to that one is easy... because they can and often get away with it.

The coloured plates (generally yellow) on the normal cars (not taxi's, limo's or company vehicles) are for the 'pretty numbers' which people have paid for through an auction system.

Yellow plates are for taxis, not the same as fancy plates for personal vehicles.

attachicon.gifxfancycar.jpg.pagespeed.ic.cieIcJWmQv.jpg

Yes, they are not fancy plates and look like taxi plates.

Funny that this guy mounts it to a cheapo 600k limo cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

(as far as I remember he bid as a proxy for a hiso wanting to remain anonymous)

And it's not a taxi plate but a "vanity" plate.

post-99794-0-32090500-1468573430_thumb.j

post-99794-0-88932500-1468573554_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

Recently?

Known this for 10 years.

So why are there so many places where you can get plates made ? and the police officer said "it is a new rule"

So many places, and you know of 2 of them?

The location you live at, that has so many locations that reproduce unofficial plates..

They most likely stole your plates..

Well actually i had the back plate ,but the front one fell off when i was driving through deep water , i did not have a clue that i needed an official one , but today i just went to the test center , with my blue book and my fine , filled in a form ,paid 100 baht ,was told to come back in a week for the blue book and the plate will be ready any time in the next 90 days!! gave me a slip to show to the police in case i am stopped again ,wish i had known it before as they are cheaper there than at the shop i went to .wink.png

As far as I know it is a normal rule and has been in the books a long time, at least the DLT checks everything making sure people dont get false plates (thus sending traffic fines to someone else).

Farangs complain about everything, perfectly normal rule also done in most civilized countries so there wont be fake plates on the road.

There are plenty of 'privately made' plates in Australia. I don't know if it's a breach of the law, but if it is, it doesn't seem to be policed.

I guess that makes Australia a non civilized country??

the only state that USED to allow handmade plates was SA, and perhaps VIC for trailers.

there are no more 'privately made' plates allowed now.

and, a clear NO, australia is not a civilized country.

The embossed stamp is indeed small and hardly recognized in the lower right of the plate.

Just took a snapshot:

attachicon.gifmir_20160714_095221.jpg

For comparison, Germany:

sure, number plates can be done at many shops near the vehicle offices.

No problem.

BUT: they are void and useless without special seals which are issued by the office and attached to the plate.

The seals can not be removed without being broken and are clearly visible from a few meter distance.

The back plate contains another seal for the proof of technical inspection.

Color coded for the year, month by direction/rotation it is attached by the official inspector.

Police can easily find outdated/unregistered vehicles by just looking at the back plate.

I don't know whether you can do the plates in a shop in Thailand and then go to the DLT office for embossing?

The two Thai letters (kor - so) are an abbreviation for kŏn sòng = transport (office).

Schlaumeier laugh.png

aber richtig (but correct)!

You should take a look at KhunBenq's post where he magnified the plate, if that isn't a yellow fancy plate then there are no fancy plates in Thailand.

Also never seen a taxi plate with horses on the back ground.

I guess you were wrong with your reply to Richard Smith, but don't like crow.

You should take a look at KhunBenq's post where he magnified the plate, if that isn't a yellow fancy plate then there are no fancy plates in Thailand.

It's hardly worth getting into....

IMO all the 'yellow vanity' plates prove is that the owner of the vehicle doesn't have sufficient connections to secure himself a pretty number without paying through the nose... kind of defeating the objective...

Taxi plates are black on yellow. If this car has yellow vanity plates the owner thought it worth the money. Good for him.

IMO all the 'yellow vanity' plates prove is that the owner of the vehicle doesn't have sufficient connections to secure himself a pretty number without paying through the nose... kind of defeating the objective...

So you must have changed your mind then from when you posted

As far as I'm aware the yellow vanity plate I posted a picture of paid himself through the nose during an auction, in fact he must have had a very big nose when you consider he paid over 20 million for that number.

So you must have changed your mind then from when you posted

As far as I'm aware the yellow vanity plate I posted a picture of paid himself through the nose during an auction, in fact he must have had a very big nose when you consider he paid over 20 million for that number.

I'm not sure what you mean there...

my point is that IF someone has sufficient connections, they don't need to pay for the 'pretty plate' at auction, in the case's where people have paid lots of money for the plates they are showing they have lots of money, but perhaps they are also showing that they don't have the connections... the 'connected' get the numbers they want without having to go through the auction system.

I can top that. i bought a new Ford at the Ford dealership in Chonburi. They fitted it with fake red plates and delivered it to me. I got fined for having fake plates (not embossed with the official stamp). Talk about customer service.

Even though I had a number plate from the Land Transport Dept. and everything was completely visible, I was fined 3 times for having it in a frame. The 3 fines occurred within the space of a month, several years ago. There must have been a directive (to collect cash!!) resulting in a crackdown. So I removed the frame and had to get a new plate to stop being fined.

So, think of these fines as technically legal but the real reason is a call for cash from above, possibly from the Treasury or other official channels or possibly because the regional commander's daughter wants to do an MBA in the USA and he needs 2 million Baht to fund it. They are part of living in Thailand.

The police have targets/goals to meet every month. A farang is an easy target, ever noticed just after pay day you don't see them.

A little disagreement with them often makes them back down as I have done in the past - "we need more tourists in our country" carry on but watch your speed.

As far as I know it is a normal rule and has been in the books a long time, at least the DLT checks everything making sure people dont get false plates (thus sending traffic fines to someone else).

Farangs complain about everything, perfectly normal rule also done in most civilized countries so there wont be fake plates on the road.

I am not complaining , but i have never heard this in 23 years and i know two places within a mile of where i live that advertize plate making , if i had known its not a problem for me to get an official plate ,i just did not know you had to , also what about the "colored" plates you see on so many cars , also in the UK you can get plates made anywhere no problem

You're totally wrong about the UK and assume you haven't tried to register a car in the past 10 years. It must be done through a DVLA office.

You're totally wrong about the UK and assume you haven't tried to register a car in the past 10 years. It must be done through a DVLA office.

Ok ,I have lived here to long ,so I suppose the rules have changed in the UK I did not know

You can get plates made up at many places in the uk such as car accessory shops and motor factors. They are supposed to have a suppliers licence number. They are supposed to check that you own the vehicle and keep a record of the number and the customers details.

The plates must conform to many regulations (BS AU 145d British Standards) regarding colour, reflectivity, size, digit size, spacing, etc. They must also display the British Standard Mark, Suppliers Business Name & Postcode.

never heard of any country that allows homemade plates???

When l was a kid in Victoria, Australia(early 1960s), you had to make your own number plate for your trailer.

And the number was the same as your car.

l don't think that it cost you anything either.

Still remember Dad's Vanguard station wagon, HJH-819, white letters & numbers on a black background.

Us kids helped(hindered?) Dad to make his trailer plate & it was a flash one.

Cut out letters & numbers from steel, painted white bolted onto a black painted wooden board.

Don't think thats the case now though(no revenue for the transport department!).

Well I would, as I've already said go to any big store and you can buy off the shelf do it yourself number plates.

If they just sold "legal" license plates at the local Lotus or Big C for 100 baht, how many people do you think would pay the vehicle registration tax for legitimate government plates?

Back in Farangland, if you need to relace a vehicle license plate, do you go to the nearest big-box retailer...if not, why do you think you can in Thailand?

Well I would, as I've already said go to any big store and you can buy off the shelf do it yourself number plates.

If the plate ain't got the official logo pressed in the plate you will get nicked if spotted.

You can only get the 'legal' ones from the LTO..

If you lose a plate you go to the LTO and order one, they give you a chit to show the BiB if you are stopped...

Isn't it so that you have to go to the BIB first before LTD will issue a new plate?

The embossed stamp is indeed small and hardly recognized in the lower right of the plate.

Just took a snapshot:

For comparison, Germany:

No problem.

BUT: they are void and useless without special seals which are issued by the office and attached to the plate.

The seals can not be removed without being broken and are clearly visible from a few meter distance.

Color coded for the year, month by direction/rotation it is attached by the official inspector.

Police can easily find outdated/unregistered vehicles by just looking at the back plate.

I don't know whether you can do the plates in a shop in Thailand and then go to the DLT office for embossing?

The two Thai letters (kor - so) are an abbreviation for kŏn sòng = transport (office).

Schlaumeier laugh.png

Huehnerhoden laugh.png

Just took a snapshot:

For comparison, Germany:

No problem.

Schlaumeier laugh.png

Huehnerhoden laugh.png

Does that come with fries?

If the plate ain't got the official logo pressed in the plate you will get nicked if spotted.

You can only get the 'legal' ones from the LTO..

If you lose a plate you go to the LTO and order one, they give you a chit to show the BiB if you are stopped...

Dead right ,i have one in the car , i did not realise when i lost my plate that you had to get an official one(this was 4 years ago i lost it) as you could buy plates anywhere ,so i assumed that they were legal , i wish i had known that a "legal" one was only 100 baht would have got it at the driving center , mind you you have to take in your blue book ,pick it up a week later and then your plate 2/3 months later , don't know why it takes so long ,perhaps they make them in a factory in Chinasmile.png