Phuket holey road blamed for woman dead, man injured in motorbike crash

webfact

Phuket holey road blamed for woman dead, man injured in motorbike crash
Eakkapop Thongtub

1468462279_1-org.jpg
Rescue workers attend to Anongwadee Boonsop, 24, at the scene. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- One woman has died and a man remains in hospital after they fell from their motorbike on Srisoonthorn Rd on Tuesday night (July 12). Local residents blame large potholes in the road and poor street lighting for the accident, one of many in recent nights.

Lt Santichai Srimai of the Thalang Police was called to the scene, a section of roadworks west of the Heroines Monument, at 11pm.

Police arrived with Kusoldharm rescue workers to find a Yamaha motorbike lying on the road. Nearby were Pisit Thongkam 21, the driver of the motorbike, and his passenger, Anongwadee Boonsop, 24.

“Both were taken to Thalang Hospital. Mr Pisit is still receiving treatment for his wounds, but Ms Anongwadee suffered a serious head injury and died in the emergency room,” Lt Santichai said.

“We were told that the couple left Cherng Talay on the motorbike. When they got to the area where the road was under construction to expand the lanes, Mr Pisit lost control of the vehicle and crashed due to the condition of the road,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-holey-road-blamed-for-woman-dead-man-injured-in-motorbike-crash-58239.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-07-14

While weather and road conditions no doubt contributed to this accident and the consequences, speed. carelessness and a lack of helmets were probably also factors.

In your 'considered opinion' from the comfort of your armchair- or were you actually there and witnessed your bold statements?

Pontificating on what might have happened serves no purpose.

I drove that stretch of road today and they are digging up sections of the road that have been recently badly damaged by the rain. There are some very bad potholes that even at a 'normal' speed are difficult to spot, even from the height of a pickup.

Drive to road conditions...that said the hwy dept does a poor job on implementing interim life safety measures when any road work is required..

They don't put themselves in the shoes of the driver when changes and new obstacles occur...magnify the risk by ten if driving at night...

Interim life safety measures would have no meaning or understanding to them...huge training program is needed...

Edited by cardinalblue

While weather and road conditions no doubt contributed to this accident and the consequences, speed. carelessness and a lack of helmets were probably also factors.

In your 'considered opinion' from the comfort of your armchair- or were you actually there and witnessed your bold statements?

Pontificating on what might have happened serves no purpose.

I drove that stretch of road today and they are digging up sections of the road that have been recently badly damaged by the rain. There are some very bad potholes that even at a 'normal' speed are difficult to spot, even from the height of a pickup.

Please make up your mind, in my BOLD statement, was I pontificating or was my opinion considered?

And what does the comfort value of my furniture have to do with anything?

A person with more competent comprehension skills would have noted that I said weather and road conditions no doubt contributed, and that I said other causes PROBABLY were factors.

However, I will now go so far as to say the lack of helmets (reported) was a huge factor in the death of the unfortunate passenger.

I haven't driven that road recently, so you have the pontificating rights on me and made full use of such in your post.

Did you have an accident too, or did you drive to the conditions?

You could add ignorance of driving safely at night to that text also.

Firstly RIP to the poor girl who died and condolences to her family.

I for one, love the potholes in the road, especially in the rain.

I have a small car and know just where to place my wheels to get through at normal road speed of about 50KM. Because my car is small, I have holey A's green plates and mini vans who love to ride up my rear bumper, drive with only a 3 to five meter distance between them and myself.

My rear facing "Dash" camera has caught some wild action as they slam into those potholes at speed, as they are driving too fast to see them. So don't fix the road and I wait to see more accidents along this stretch of road.

BTW the stretch between Supalai Essence and Valley #2, has seen accidents every day and normally 2 every night since the "new" road was done. The drivers drive way too fast and motorcy riders think they can text on their phones and ride at the same time.