Retirement Extension: Have I left it late?

I sent off my pension stuff for certifying by UK embassy today. It's gone with EMS. I'd forgotten that there are so many holidays due up.

It can take up to 10 working days to return the letter, it seems.

My Extension is due on 30 July, a Saturday, so it will be 29 July.

15 days away but many holidays and weekends.

Am I allowed 7 days either side of renewal? Could I lose my visa completely? What do I do then??

Thx

EDDY

Am I allowed 7 days either side of renewal? Could I lose my visa completely? What do I do then??

Where do you have that "7 days either side" from?

You could have applied for ret.ext. up to 30 days ahead (some offices might accept 45 days).

The income/pension certificate is allowed to be up to 6 months old. Could have been ticked long ago.

There is no grace period for extension.

Late is late and legally overstay.

But it's unlikely that there would be more than the 500 Baht/day fine and then extension granted.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I think you will get your letter back in time. As your extension ends on a weekend you can still go on Monday 1 Aug with no overstay. Next time try 30 days before - you do not lose any days it is dated from the expiry date. As stated above the Embassy letter is valid 6 months.

• Like 2

FWIW, i.e. this should not be viewed as a "rule", but several years ago in Jomtien I screwed up and showed up three days late -- no weekend involved, I just mis-remembered my extension's expiry date -- to apply for a retirement extension. They were polite about it and I had to pay a fine. Once that was paid, they issued the retirement extension as if I weren't late.

I suspect they have latitude and with discretion and can issue extensions past their due date. But, maybe that has tightened up in recent years?

• Like 1

Embassy income letters are valid for 6 months.

That is the national ruling.

It may be the national ruling but some offices make their own rules and it may be counterproductive trying to argue with your local office

I would say that the majority of offices accept the 6 month rule. I can only recall one or possibley two that do not accept them that are 6 months old.

OP - the Embassy dispatched my latest letter 4 working days after they had received my application a couple of months ago. So depending on how long EMS mail takes to get to and from Bangkok in your part of the world you should definitely be more than OK.

Although in practice you may well get away with an overstay fine and a retrospective extension if the worst came to the worst, as has already been suggested, don't forget that your immigration office could in theory insist on your obtaining a fresh single-entry non-O visa from a Thai embassy or consulate in an adjoining country. As frequently reported on here Vientiane in PDR Laos or Penang in Malaysia are the preferred destinations of choice for those seeking non-O's on the grounds of being aged 50 or over.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

I use the Nakhon Sawan Immigration office which has been really very friendly. In 2014 I asked about the validity of the income letter, they told me 30 days. I pointed out that the "rule" was 6 months, but the officer reminded me that her boss made the rules she must follow. I asked again last year and got the same answer, 30 days. It's best to check with the office that you use to get their"offical" ruling!!

I think you will get your letter back in time. As your extension ends on a weekend you can still go on Monday 1 Aug with no overstay. Next time try 30 days before - you do not lose any days it is dated from the expiry date. As stated above the Embassy letter is valid 6 months.

That is what I will be doing next Friday. My 90 day report is due on Tuesday 19th July and the extension is due 23 August. I rang the Immigration office at Nakhon Sawan yesterday afternoon and they are closed Monday Tuesday and Wednesday but will do both for me on Friday 22nd July.

I generally start my extension stuff in May by calling the pension providers for a gross income letter which can take up to 1 month. In June I send it all to the embassy which can take up to 2 weeks but this time was done in 6 days including the weekend.

In the middle of July I sort out all of the original and 2 copies of the paperwork and go down in the last week of July for the renewal.

I generally do my 90 day report a couple of days past the sate each time so that the 4th one fits in with the extension trip as I live 125km from Nakhon Sawan.

• Like 1

FWIW, i.e. this should not be viewed as a "rule", but several years ago in Jomtien I screwed up and showed up three days late -- no weekend involved, I just mis-remembered my extension's expiry date -- to apply for a retirement extension. They were polite about it and I had to pay a fine. Once that was paid, they issued the retirement extension as if I weren't late.

I suspect they have latitude and with discretion and can issue extensions past their due date. But, maybe that has tightened up in recent years?

I think I have heard such stories before. But it would put the applicant in a VERY vulnerable position. They certainly don't have to accept late applications, overstay fines or not.

• Like 1