Ruth Bader Ginsburg: 'I regret making' Donald Trump remarks

webfact

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: 'I regret making' Donald Trump remarks
By Ariane de Vogue, CNN Supreme Court Reporter

(CNN)Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said Thursday she regrets remarks she made earlier this week to CNN and other news outlets criticizing presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

"On reflection, my recent remarks in response to press inquiries were ill-advised and I regret making them," Ginsburg said in a statement. "Judges should avoid commenting on a candidate for public office. In the future I will be more circumspect."

Hours after releasing the statement Ginsburg talked exclusively to NPR's Nina Totenberg, and expanded upon her statement. She called her comments "incautious."

Full story: http://us.cnn.com/2016/07/14/politics/ruth-bader-ginsburg-i-regret-making-donald-trump-remarks/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2016-07-15

I am impressed that so many ThaiVisa members know Ruth Ginsberg personally, enough to make perceptive knowledgeable comments about her health and disposition.

Don't be impressed, TV members don't need to know anything about which they speak

I am impressed that so many ThaiVisa members know Ruth Ginsberg personally, enough to make perceptive knowledgeable comments about her health and disposition.

They don't. But such a remark was either incredibly ill judged or maliciously intended. Message given and not retracted in an apology that apologizes for making it, not the content.

Surely, in either case, the only honorable thing to do would be to resign?

But it seems US Supreme Court judges are political appointees who judge according to their politics and therefore honor doesn't come into it.

She has an awesome legal mind. People like her with minds like her aint easy to find folks.......The time proven friendship she had with Sclalia should teach us all something....The Court is there to consider what we all have voted for. Hate her or love her but personality should have no visor in the interpretation of our laws. .......she seems to have righted herself in her galf. Time to retire Ruth. The Supreme Court is for Interpretation and not judgement

They don't. But such a remark was either incredibly ill judged or maliciously intended. Message given and not retracted in an apology that apologizes for making it, not the content.

But it seems US Supreme Court judges are political appointees who judge according to their politics and therefore honor doesn't come into it.

Agreed.

Justice Ginsburg's partisan political comments not only showed bad judgement on her part, but reflected badly on the Supreme Court itself as an unbiased institution.

Of course she should resign - but don't bet on that happening anytime soon. She won't leave until she's carried out feet first.

Remember Abe Fortas?

It wasn't until multiple financial scandals and a taped telephone conversation publicized by Bob Woodward incriminated him and forced him out kicking and screaming.

Edited by MisterTee

Helth issues aside...

It's a sad reality that the U.S. education system is populated by idealistic left wng teachers, hell bent on indoctrinating the youth of America with popular maxist ideology, and that civics is almost non-existent in contemporary teaching.

Those who do have a passing familiarity with the workings of government, will (or shoudl) be disgusted that an unelected supreme court justice, ventured an opinon one way or another (love him or hate him), on a candidate for the upcoming presidential election...

If you would really like to educate yourself, and understand just what a travestiy this particular unelected (judicial) branch of government has become, try reading Men in Black by Mark Levin, a real eye opener, you wont regret it....

"But it seems US Supreme Court judges are political appointees who judge according to their politics . . ."

This has become the problem in my mind. I was brought up to understand that the Supreme Court justices were supposed to be above petty politics. They were to base their rulings on the constitution and the law. That type of thinking seems to be in the past when it seems everyone wants to appoint a justice based on a judge's conservative or liberal rulings on court cases. It is no longer a confirmation on whether a judge has ruled fairly according to the law but whether the judge has rule in cases according to liberal or conservative views. It is now kind of a pathetic circus in selecting justices. It's just another reason the average American has lost faith in the government. Not only is there lack of confidence in the executive and legislative branches, it will now be spreading to the judicial branch because of actions like those of Ginsberg.

The hypocrisy is palpable. Supreme Court Judges do nothing but express their opinion. They majority opinions and they have minority opinions, but they are not suppose to have an opinion about the next president of the US?

I can only speak for my self… I lived in Thailand for 8 years and my wife is Thai; that is why I am a member. I am a US born citizen and currently live in the US. Thus, when it comes to issues with my government and officials within it, yes I am in fact quite knowledgeable. smile.png

Without doubt there are many other members who are also US citizens... Alas, many more who are not...

I'm not a US citizen but i bet i know more about your

politics than many with their feet well planted there.

This whole campaign is starting to look like the well

scripted ''Moon Landing'' , like a well scripted WWF

wrestling match, the outcome known before the event.

What rubbish.

post-141778-0-93981900-1468617233_thumb.

I can only speak for my self… I lived in Thailand for 8 years and my wife is Thai; that is why I am a member. I am a US born citizen and currently live in the US. Thus, when it comes to issues with my government and officials within it, yes I am in fact quite knowledgeable. smile.png

Without doubt there are many other members who are also US citizens... Alas, many more who are not...

The 'thus' in your post makes no sense. You live in the US and are thus knowledgeable about US government?

No check at all on the dementia of those old judges, same as anyone else, those robes don't protect your brains. She has lost too much of her grey matter due to old age is all.

She is a liberal judge. By definition a lot of that grey matter was already missing when she got to the Court.

I'm not a US citizen but i bet i know more about your

politics than many with their feet well planted there.

That is only because the majority of Americans are either watching the Kardashians or chasing Pokemons. But among the Americans who follow politics, without even knowing you, I wouldn't put you at the same level. Nothing personal and no offense intended.

I have always there is more to "knowing" about the politics of another country, you need to feel it, need to have the culture and history to be a part of you. Being part of a country is like being part of a tribe, or a family. Therefore, outsiders can never fully appreciate what local politics means to locals.

As an American, I can read and study Thai politics, or UK politics for a decade, knowing all the issues, major players, history, etc...but I won't feel it. Whatever the people of Thailand or the UK decide internally, while I may have an opinion based on facts, their decision won't affect me the same way. So I always avoid "telling them what to do".

back to Ginsburg in the next post...

As an American, reading what Ginsburg said troubles me. Sure, we know/suspect everyone to lean one way or the other. But judges are not supposed to comment publicly on it. You look at how they vote and hope they are interpreting the law and not following instructions from a political party.

But now Ginsburg has just damaged her credibility.

For those who don't already know, the Supreme Court is one of the three branches of government, part of the system of checks & balances. Everyone knows the Executive (President) and Legislative (Congress) branches are bitterly partisan. But we still hold out hope that the Judicial (Supreme Court) could be a non-partisan referee, calling the game fairly (judging based on the law, the Constitution, and not on personal beliefs). Public comments like Ginsburg's is like a referee before the big match saying how much they hate the star player on one of the teams.

Side note: Wasn't she close friends with Scalia? Maybe they used to say to each other over dinner what they wouldn't dare say publicly and now that he is gone, it slipped out when it shouldn't have. If you don't have someone to privately vent your frustrations to, they will eventually surface.

Edited by mopar71