Driving car without driving licence

fry30

Hi everyone,

Me and my wife just bought a car (second hand 2010), we insure it, premium from krungtep bank. If we get an accident and we are right, would the insurance of the other pay for the damages on our car?

What would be the risk in such case?

I will pass the driving license here but unfortunately we need to book for the exam and there is over a month waiting.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

> I will pass the driving license here

You are a confident person :)

If you drive without a valid driver license and get into an accident, as soon this information is known to the insurance company they will not pay out who ever is to blame. Even if the other is to blame he can claim his damage on you because you where not allowed to drive. However there is a big change in this case the other driver does not has a driver license also.

You are a confident person smile.png

If you drive without a valid driver license and get into an accident, as soon this information is known to the insurance company they will not pay out who ever is to blame. Even if the other is to blame he can claim his damage on you because you where not allowed to drive. However there is a big change in this case the other driver does not has a driver license also.

yes, it's sort of the same thing as when you have an accident against a drunk driver.

Even if you were in the Wrong - he shouldn't have even been on the road in the first place

You are a confident person :)

Not correct. If other driver is at fault and has insurance, insurance will pay to party not at fault. Opposing party not having a valid DL us not an exclusion.

He may get a fine for driving without DL though.

@stevenl Thanks for the answer, that's what our insurer told us too.

@everyone, sorry for the mistake, indeed it's impolite, however for the me it's a bit confusing for French as the opposite is very incorrect, we don't use I in this case. Good to know, I should know better, I practice English since 5 years but for my defense I practically never spoke to native speakers.

I should stay off road, unfortunately there is no taxi where we are living and it would cost a lot to bring one from Bangkok ( and we don't have money right now) just to get to the nearest bus. My wife is 8 months pregnant so she can't drop me with the motorbike, I have to go to Chonburi to get a job so I will try to travel at night hoping that with a low traffic there will be less risks.

It's a long story to justify why I don't have money and why I have to take this risk but I try my best, bought land, house and car in a short time, we are quite near to be ok.

OP - About 15 years ago I had an accident driving with just a British Driving License. Neither the Police or Insurance seemed to care... Not having a Thai Licence or an International Driving Permit seemed to matter. My car was fixed under insurance.

Note: This was 15 years ago, things may well have changed and Insurance companies may have become much more serious about this... Given all the 'fear mongering' which perhaps rightly so suggests you shouldn't be driving without an IDP (accompanying your home licence) or a Thai Licence, I have not heard of any stories of insurance failing to pay out because someone is not carrying a Thai license.

That said, you are taking a chance that the Insurance might not pay out if you are involved in an accident and found to be at fault...

You might find the queuing shorter if you were to apply for a driving licence at alternative DLT centres... definitely worth considering if you 'need' to drive within the next month.

the polite way is: 'my wife and i...' - or, used to be.

and - no - you are not covered without a licence unless you informed your insurance in writing that you do not hold a thai drivers licence and the insurance has confirmed in writing that they accept this.

until than, don't drive.

edit: spelling error

Do you somehow think that YOU are above the Law?

How about the poor unfortunate soul that you hit and injure or kill?

Do you plan on paying for this out of your vast Cash Reserves ?

I disagree.. if the other person is at fault I don't believe your drivers license would even enter the equation.. they would have to pay out since the other driver is a fault.. this is a very grey area.. If I was you I would be more worried if you caused the accident and your insurance company refused to pay out.. you would personally be on the hook for any damages.

Kurt

I disagree.. if the other person is at fault I don't believe your drivers license would even enter the equation.. they would have to pay out since the other driver is a fault.. this is a very grey area.. If I was you I would be more worried if you caused the accident and your insurance company refused to pay out.. you would personally be on the hook for any damages.

Kurt

Not a grey area at all. Your first sentence is very much correct. If not at fault, opposing insurance will pay

@everyone, sorry for the mistake, indeed it's impolite, however for the me it's a bit confusing for French as the opposite is very incorrect, we don't use I in this case. Good to know, I should know better, I practice English since 5 years but for my defense I practically never spoke to native speakers.

you wont be so polite if its the other drivers fault,when they have NO LICENCE OR INSURANCE its the thai way.

fry........where is here.....??

If you are in Patttaya----I maybe wrong but I don't think you have to take your test there do you ??

You are guaranteed a license in our part of Issan just for turning up.......maybe a few days holiday--say you just moved here--, but I could be wrong so check first.

The OP doesn't actually state whether he already holds a valid French Driving Licence, in which case he wouldn't need to take the full Thai test.

He wouldn't need to take te full test if he has an INTERNATIONAL DL. His French DL won't be recognized. When I went to get a license, they said that if my license (German) was in English, they could "do something" but as it was in German only, I had to take the full test.

@OP : it's because of people like you who try to go over the laws that Farangs have bad reputation.

DELETED

Edited by seedy
non English

Your insurer will "tell" you anything.I bet it's not in writing.

My Thai gf had an accident on a motorbike a few years ago when a dog ran out in front of her. No helmet and suffered concussion and taken by some locals to the nearest hospital. Fortunately just one night in observation and then discharged. No licence, but the basic Por Ra bor insurance paid the full medical bill... (ok, so only 15k but this was the insurance limit)..

@everyone, finally I won't take the car without license, we live near Ratchaburi, I will walk 15 km to the nearest bus station.

The date of the driving license exam is the 19 August and my wife should give birth on 20 August, it's going to be tight, hopefully I will pass it and be able to move without begging everyone. I will also try to get an advance on my salary to be able to pay the taxis around this time.