British PM May: Willing to listen to Scotland's EU proposals

rooster59

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to see here, just May making it appear a priority to keep the old crow quiet.

I would suggest au contraire and rather significant in how this issue is played.

Interesting that Sturgeon claimed she was given a veto on Brexit by May. She claimed she, as Scotland's FM could veto any attempt to invoke Article 50 until she was personally happy Scotland's interests were being best looked after. She also claimed she could hold a second referendum, which could be seen as being against the law without Westminster's approval and a new Act of Parliament.

Totally deluded - she thinks she's deciding the future for the whole UK, the whole EU and that everyone else will simply do as she says.

Some of her numpties have now suggested a Scottish pound as the won't be allowed the GBP Sterling and know the Euro would be highly unpopular.

May seems to be have a different recollection than wee Nippy. Just as Juncke and the EU had when she met them.

Scotland make well get independence out of an English, Welsh and Ulster backlash at the way Sturgeon is portraying this to be all about Scotland and her quest for independence. Should that happen, she'll find the EU reality out very quickly. Meet the financial criteria, accept the Euro, accept Schengen and we'll consider your application in the queue.

A Scotland outside the UK, outside the EU with Nippy in unbridled control - gawd help us!

Some Scotsmen never die, they just go on and on and on and..............

It took the TV hero, Farage, 15 years of sponging from the EU before he got his way. Clearly a lesson for us all - don't give up.

Most Scots I know aren't spongers - unlike Farage who drew 17 years of MEP salary and attended somewhat sparsely.

The majority of Scots voted to stay in the UK. SNP don't accept that. The majority of Scots voted to remain in EU but unfortunately the majority in the UK voted otherwise.

Seems the SNP only accept decisions they like.

Indyref number 4,706 and still Nippy will be trying whilst ignoring all Scotland's day to day issues.

Agreed. This is just the first of a number of issues that will "suddenly" arise preventing Article 50 from being invoked. Only now are people starting to understand what an impossible position the government is in. EU rules prevent any nation from negotiating trade agreements with a non-EU nation so the UK can't even start figuring out what it's trade position is until it is out.

The EU has made it plain it won't start negotiations with the UK until it gives notice under Article 50 at which point the clock is ticking. What's to stop them just saying "goodbye then"? And all this talk of "well, we buy more from them than they do from us so they'll negotiate." Well, I buy a lot more from Makro that it buys from me but that doesn't seem to help my negotiating position.

Odds are Brexit isn't going to happen.

Is that the same odds that the bookies were giving for Remaining?

Not to mention there seems to be confusion on what brexit actually is by people on all sides of the argument. Is brexit going to be the "Norway option", "CETA trade style arrangement", or actually ... "real" brexit.

Executing article 50 without figuring if there is some accommodation acceptable to Scotland ... almost guarantees a very messy situation as it starts the clock ticking on the Scottish question...

I just don't know if there is an answer that can keep Scotland in the EU and England out without full sovereignty and be acceptable to both the EU and to the UK. If PM Theresa May can figure out something she would be a magician, and Scotland would actually be in one of the most advantageous trading position of any nation... (and in the case where England would be the "CETA option" vs Scotland being the "Norway option" -- probably to the detriment to England since it will probably mean many HQ and financials in London would migrate north over time -- similar to what happened in Canada 30 or 40 years ago.... when things moved down the highway from Montreal to Toronto).

The 'financials' argument is a 'bit of a whopper' told by the remain camp I think. The City of London mainly operates in a wholesale market which is not threatened, and in any case UK has equivalence which would likely over ride the need for financial passporting. The City is top for a variety of reasons. It is questionable whether UK would lose 'financial passporting' anyway.

I agree regarding trade deals: a clear bit of thinking tells you there are only 2 options - don't leave, or leave without a deal The Chancellor has already indicated the latter.

When (if) the UK leaves, then Scotland leaves too. It could not become a member of the EU again unless it ceded from the UK and then satisfied the EU it was capable of joining. It would then have to be voted in by all members, including Spain. UK Government stance is no second referendum: it was agreed the previous referendum was once and for all and was a vote on the Union, and not membership of the EU.

If financials or HQ's are to migrate anywhere, it would likely be Hamburg, Amsterdam, Paris, or Dublin. It will happen with those who are very Eurocentric: it was going to happen anyway. But we are not really talking about factory operations here, where all the activity moves lock, stock and barrel. Leaving might just involve setting up a token offic

Actually, Edinburgh is favorite and explains why GS are pro independence for Scotland

You do realise that not only May, but Boris also were actually pro remain.

The buffoons had NO PLAN. The grown ups will now clear up and probably end up with 95% of the status quo ante.

Scotland voted to remain in the UK.

The UK voted to exit the EU.

Personally I don't care what Scotland voted regarding the EU as they are and voted to be still part of the UK.

Isn't that how democracy works. The greater wins...no place for we want this but not that.

Not quite as simple as that - amongst the package of lies that flowed from the mouths of the remainders was the much repeated story that the only way we could be assured membership of the EU was to stick with the UK.

Now, 2 years later to be told that we are being taken out of the EU against our wishes despite voting to remain hitched to this unequal union is sticking in a lot of people's throats.

It is that simple.

The Scottish referendum was a once in a generation vote, that all agreed to respect. Now SNP come out with the weasely words hoping to try and distort another referendum by linking it to remaining in the EU. Something that the UK and EU make clear isn't possible.

38% of the people who voted in Scotland voted to leave the EU. So it's the wishes of the 62% who voted to remain you class as "our wishes". But that was part of a UK referendum. The UK being the country of which Scotland is a part, and the UK being the member of the EU.

Nippy and her numpties can spin all they want. The reality is most Scots voted to stay in the UK. Most people in the UK voted to leave - period. That's democracy for you.

But you can't pick and chose what you accept or invent new rules to suit yourself or continually threaten to try and leave, especially when that isn't your decision, anytime you don't get your own way.

The 'financials' argument is a 'bit of a whopper' told by the remain camp I think. The City of London mainly operates in a wholesale market which is not threatened, and in any case UK has equivalence which would likely over ride the need for financial passporting. The City is top for a variety of reasons. It is questionable whether UK would lose 'financial passporting' anyway.

I agree regarding trade deals: a clear bit of thinking tells you there are only 2 options - don't leave, or leave without a deal The Chancellor has already indicated the latter.

When (if) the UK leaves, then Scotland leaves too. It could not become a member of the EU again unless it ceded from the UK and then satisfied the EU it was capable of joining. It would then have to be voted in by all members, including Spain. UK Government stance is no second referendum: it was agreed the previous referendum was once and for all and was a vote on the Union, and not membership of the EU.

If financials or HQ's are to migrate anywhere, it would likely be Hamburg, Amsterdam, Paris, or Dublin. It will happen with those who are very Eurocentric: it was going to happen anyway. But we are not really talking about factory operations here, where all the activity moves lock, stock and barrel. Leaving might just involve setting up a token offic

Actually, Edinburgh is favorite and explains why GS are pro independence for Scotland

You do realise that not only May, but Boris also were actually pro remain.

The buffoons had NO PLAN. The grown ups will now clear up and probably end up with 95% of the status quo ante.

Edinburgh is only favorite with the SNP.

Not heard one organization mention it. The Germans have wanted to build Frankfurt up and a rival to London for some time and the French have long wished Paris could compete. Do you think they'll simply admit Scotland and let Edinburgh take over from London?

Not a chance. A newly "independent" nation, outside the EU with no guaranteed timescale for membership acceptance, no currency of its own, no central bank and a fiscal deficit. All the makings of another Greece. Sure, great choice for the EU financial capital.

Some Scotsmen never die, they just go on and on and on and..............

It took the TV hero, Farage, 15 years of sponging from the EU before he got his way. Clearly a lesson for us all - don't give up.

Yep! Spend 15 years concentrating on one thing and then, when you get it, have absolutely NO IDEA what to do. Brilliant.

Personally I don't care what Scotland voted regarding the EU as they are and voted to be still part of the UK.

Isn't that how democracy works. The greater wins...no place for we want this but not that.

Not quite as simple as that - amongst the package of lies that flowed from the mouths of the remainders was the much repeated story that the only way we could be assured membership of the EU was to stick with the UK.

Now, 2 years later to be told that we are being taken out of the EU against our wishes despite voting to remain hitched to this unequal union is sticking in a lot of people's throats.

It is that simple.

The Scottish referendum was a once in a generation vote, that all agreed to respect. Now SNP come out with the weasely words hoping to try and distort another referendum by linking it to remaining in the EU. Something that the UK and EU make clear isn't possible.

38% of the people who voted in Scotland voted to leave the EU. So it's the wishes of the 62% who voted to remain you class as "our wishes". But that was part of a UK referendum. The UK being the country of which Scotland is a part, and the UK being the member of the EU.

Nippy and her numpties can spin all they want. The reality is most Scots voted to stay in the UK. Most people in the UK voted to leave - period. That's democracy for you.

But you can't pick and chose what you accept or invent new rules to suit yourself or continually threaten to try and leave, especially when that isn't your decision, anytime you don't get your own way.

Don't you agree that Brexit has changed things? Just a bit?

I think you will find the Scots will now want separation from LITTLE England

BTW, an independent Scotland would be welcomed with open arms by the 27. No worries about THAT.

BTW, an independent Scotland would be welcomed with open arms by the 27. No worries about THAT.

Up until article 50 is executed - they cannot officially entertain Scotland as a "continuing" member, but after (preferably with UK brexit team co-operation / inclusion) they may.

It will probably require a leap of faith for those choosing independence (if that is the route that is necessary).

If the EU is making special considerations for British "refugees" seeking to stay as European citizens -- I think they will also be open to making special considerations for Scotland (in a Federal UK with England out; or as a fully independent nation).

Edited by bkkcanuck8

It is that simple.

SNP are behaving disgracefully imo. I see one of their motley bunch is now claiming the Trident vote is grounds for a new referendum too.

But personally I do support their right to a veto on the EU referendum. Not only does it go against the will of the Scottish and NI electorate, but there are now legal challenges appearing.

Up until article 50 is executed - they cannot officially entertain Scotland as a "continuing" member, but after (preferably with UK brexit team co-operation / inclusion) they may.

It will probably require a leap of faith for those choosing independence (if that is the route that is necessary).

If the EU is making special considerations for British "refugees" seeking to stay as European citizens -- I think they will also be open to making special considerations for Scotland (in a Federal UK with England out; or as a fully independent nation).

This is pure wishful thinking.

SNP are behaving disgracefully imo. I see one of their motley bunch is now claiming the Trident vote is grounds for a new referendum too.

But personally I do support their right to a veto on the EU referendum. Not only does it go against the will of the Scottish and NI electorate, but there are now legal challenges appearing.

A veto - I don't support exercising any veto that would thwart the will of the people of England - I think veto is too strong of a term. I would say that they have a voice in the future of Scotland and that if they want Scotland to remain in the UK and no referendum the brexit team has to make considerations to protect the will of the Scottish people. If that cannot happen, then the Scottish people get to decide.

I fully support anyone or any groups ability to turn to the courts to try and protect themselves from government... it is their right. Whether they have legal standing or the case is valid -- that is up to the courts to decide.

A veto - I don't support exercising any veto that would thwart the will of the people of England - I think veto is too strong of a term. I would say that they have a voice in the future of Scotland and that if they want Scotland to remain in the UK and no referendum the brexit team has to make considerations to protect the will of the Scottish people. If that cannot happen, then the Scottish people get to decide.

I fully support anyone or any groups ability to turn to the courts to try and protect themselves from government... it is their right. Whether they have legal standing or the case is valid -- that is up to the courts to decide.

The only steps for Scotland to legally become independent and part of the EU are as follows:

1. Wait for the UK to officially leave EU. Realistically this is likely to take 4-8 years.

2. Negotiate with the UK for a second independence referendum. UK has indicated no second referendum will be granted.

3. Win that referendum. By no means certain at all.

4. Secede. We are talking years again.

5. Apply to join EU. Probably up to 10 years, and not at all certain application would be accepted.

1. Wait for the UK to officially leave EU. Realistically this is likely to take 4-8 years.

If it is 4 to 8 years, then the UK is not ever leaving the EU... and the politicians are seeing to that in which case there is no need for a further referendum because Scotland will not have left the EU. The deadline is 2 years after article 50 is executed (which they have sort of said will be by the end of the year)... extension would likely not happen (needs unanimous support from 28 countries - when EU would rather have it settled well ahead of time so the push is deal or no - no you exit period).

2. Negotiate with the UK for a second independence referendum. UK has indicated no second referendum will be granted.

If the UK fails to agree with a binding referendum, Scotland just could go ahead with the same guidelines as last time in a non-binding nature... The UK having agreed with the guidelines would be hard pressed to just reject it, and if they did it would pretty much guarantee instability and continued longer recessions until the situation is settled. Also if the UK rejected it it would guarantee a hardened and much strengthened separatist sentiment. None of that would be good for a UK as a whole. While I expect calmer heads to prevail in negotiations with the EU, I would expect the same within the UK... because karma can be a real bitch.

3. Win that referendum. By no means certain at all.

That is true.

4. Secede. We are talking years again.

It would knock the UK economy on it's head for the next decade if that is the case. As such calmer heads will prevail.

And 5 (exceeded quote blocks).

5. Apply to join EU[/font][/color][/background]. Probably up to 10 years, and not at all certain application would be accepted.

I don't expect it would come to that.... because what you have laid out is standard scare tactics which people will try and play again until the situation is at the point of no-return and calmer heads will prevail.

Note: The standard scare tactics which is one of the reasons why I have sympathy for separatist movements in both Quebec and Scotland (not saying I support fully, just sympathetic to). The other one is the standard last minute promises that are so often broken or delayed indefinitely after the referendum is over (i.e. promise devolution of a great number of areas... period... then after going ... eh, not so easy we have to talk to everyone now and form committees and study then put up for a free vote and then ... oops I hope you forgot the promises now.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

I'm now in my fifth week away and still have not met any Brit who openly admits to being a Brexiteer

In fact " A Brexit" is now entering the language to describe any kind of faux pas, clanger, cock-up or other unintended error.

For the avoidance of doubt, I, and other remainers I know, accepted the result of the referendum even though the numpties were badly misled and lied to and their leaders have run off! Such is the way with referenda.

Right at the start, I said there was a correlation between being pro-remain and having tertiary education, being in demographic groups A, B, and being young. This was criticised by the statistically challenged.

Well guess what, I was absolutely correct. You can now add being Scottish to the list.

So the worrying thing is, we now know that the winning side tend not to have higher education, be demographic groups C, D, and be older and not Scottish! These people are in the majority! They live among us!

Well that's great!

As the brexiteers had no idea what to do next, their betters have had to take control!

Our new PM is doing great!

1) Boris put in a position where he can make the biggest fool of himself!

2) Gove (he is indeed a bit odd) and IDS are out, thank God!

3) The remaining pro brexit goons have been put in put-up or shut-up positions.....

Hilarious really!

What proportion of those entitled to vote, voted out? 52% x 72% = 37.4%, remain 48% x 72% = 34.6% (or something like that - adjust as you wish)

Hardly overwhelming

I think May has told Sturgeon to hang fire PARTLY because she knows a vote for an independent Scotland aiming to rejoin or remain in the EU would win.

PARTLY, because she KNOWS that Brexiteer demands are, er, Silly! As a result, there will be hardly any difference after Brexit.

All Boris's lies, All Farages nastiness -for what????

In conclusion, Sturgeon IS holding a strong hand. How many city institutions would have to relocate to Scotland to make up for the currently weak oil revenues do you think?

smile.png

Edited by Grouse

How do we get parliament to have a vote on expelling Scotland from the union ?

You hold a referendum to succeed from the union then reform it without Scotland.

Surely if England left the union that would leave Scotland, Wales and Northan Ireland in the union

And may they live happy ever after.

You hold a referendum to succeed from the union then reform it without Scotland.

Surely if England left the union that would leave Scotland, Wales and Northan Ireland in the union

It would not surprise me if England were to want that (except maybe London).

I am sure the rest could find their way.... Though Wales seems to have lost it's uniqueness so they might come crawling back to little England.

It would definitely work out since the remaining Union would void the referendum results and stay in the EU.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

I am sure the rest could find their way.... Though Wales seems to have lost it's uniqueness so they might come crawling back to little England.

It would definitely work out since the remaining Union would void the referendum results and stay in the EU.

That would probably be the best solution. I think it is not do-able though.

It would probably be best for all parties to agree to scrap the Union.

And it would probably be best to map this out before any referendum is taken so everybody knows where they stand.

It wouldn't be the end of of the world for anyone.

It is clear that England and Scotland simply do not get along.

Edited by mommysboy

Nah I vote we leave the union after we have left the EU, just to stuff the others up cheesy.gif

Nothing to see here, just May making it appear a priority to keep the old crow quiet.

I would suggest au contraire and rather significant in how this issue is played.

Interesting that Sturgeon claimed she was given a veto on Brexit by May. She claimed she, as Scotland's FM could veto any attempt to invoke Article 50 until she was personally happy Scotland's interests were being best looked after. She also claimed she could hold a second referendum, which could be seen as being against the law without Westminster's approval and a new Act of Parliament.

Totally deluded - she thinks she's deciding the future for the whole UK, the whole EU and that everyone else will simply do as she says.

Some of her numpties have now suggested a Scottish pound as the won't be allowed the GBP Sterling and know the Euro would be highly unpopular.

May seems to be have a different recollection than wee Nippy. Just as Juncke and the EU had when she met them.

Scotland make well get independence out of an English, Welsh and Ulster backlash at the way Sturgeon is portraying this to be all about Scotland and her quest for independence. Should that happen, she'll find the EU reality out very quickly. Meet the financial criteria, accept the Euro, accept Schengen and we'll consider your application in the queue.

A Scotland outside the UK, outside the EU with Nippy in unbridled control - gawd help us!

Just ignore her she might go away.

Seriously though, Scotland and England both dislike each other intensely. I was just wondering if there was any quickie type divorce settlement that might apply to countries, with their share of national debt converted to some form of assets we could own like the nearest oil field to England. And then Hadrians Wall back up. No special trade deals. No need to get in each other's way.

Seriously though, Scotland and England both dislike each other intensely. I was just wondering if there was any quickie type divorce settlement that might apply to countries, with their share of national debt converted to some form of assets we could own like the nearest oil field to England. And then Hadrians Wall back up. No special trade deals. No need to get in each other's way.

I don't believe it is as much dislike so much as chaffing where there is a cultural-lingual or nationalist divide especially when you have totally unequal representation in the national legislative body. In effect the English majority has a majority in the legislature. A federalist state with significant devolution could alleviate this to a certain extent -- but it may be a little late since you have many who have a dream while the other side fights back with politics of fear. What can be logically done at the level closest to the people should be governed there (i.e. culture, linguistic, social programs, etc.) with a federal level that is responsible for national defense, central bank, customs, and free movement of trade and people as well as things that provide linkages between like inter regional transport. The problem is there is a very big divide on the EU and the future within. Eventually a federal EU would be expected to take control of much of what would be this federal level of government. It could leave national defense at the regional level and only have mutual defense and a commitment on what each nations national defense commitments are (similar to what NATO is suppose to have). Central Bank would depend on currency union or not.

Inside a federal European Union it eventually does not make sense to have three levels of government which means Scotland would eventually have to be elevated and equal to England in the European Union (which England has rejected and is walking away from).

There are many issues that the European Union still has to work out which the UK had itself chaffed at.... i.e. EU government independent of regional governments with a one person one vote based representative government with some constitutional limitation on the silliness that currently exists within the "civil service" with regards to regulations that do not facilitate free trade and movement of people but are there just because someone thought they have some free time and should do some creating.

share of national debt

National for everything that UK currently there is a creditor (a lot of it self, but a large number of private and foreign creditors). No reorganization of debt can really take place without agreement of the creditors that lent it in the first place.

But the Scottish and NI electorate did not vote as Scottish or NI people, they voted as British citizens and Britain voted OUT.

So hard luck guys that is the way democracy works.

I don't agree to your opening sentence at all. I cannot speak for our English neighbours, although I hope the vitriol that is liberally dispensed on TV against the Scots is not typical.

From a Scottish perspective, I say that we do not dislike the English at all. Sure we joke and laugh at you much as any neighbour countries do, but no more than that.

That we want to take control of our own destiny should not be taken as a sign of a hatred of England, but of a growing sense of confidence in the Scots and an increasing awareness that the politics of the UK does not suit many in Scotland.