Thai sex industry under fire from tourism minister, police

rooster59

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And of course the way to do it, is by "CRACK DOWNS".

Lets forget simple things like poverty, poor education etc. No need to focus on the causes.

35% of the schools budget evaporates into the unaccounted outgoing funds.

Sad but true what these thieves have done to millions of Thai kid futures. Should be skinned alive.

I mostly agree with Jacko, it's all part of the mix - along with temples, beaches, spicy food, ladyboys, shady characters, bad English, etc.- that differentiates Thailand from other destinations, gives it a certain "frisson", if that's the right word, and draws people here. I can never understand people who come to live here, then complain because Thailand is what it is.

There are good and bad points in every country, and Thailands good points far outweigh the bad.

Imagine how great Thailand would be if most of the average Thai people had even average intelligence.

What a racist comment.Imagine how great Thailand would be better off without you and your ilk here.

I am only telling it the way I see it, ie, the carnage on the roads, I would guess that about 80% of the adult Thai population either drive or ride motorbikes, and most of them, yes most, have very little common sense on the roads.

That 80%, with the same little common sense, are also working at their jobs or doing other things. Go figure.

If you don't like Thai people we can point you in the direction of the airport quite easily. Flights are getting cheaper by the day. But wait, you need to save up the 20K to pay your overstay fine.

One marries a farmer and together they have just enough money to get by. The other goes down to Pattaya and starts selling services. She sends 5000 a month back to mom and dad who, despite the fact that she told them she was a waitress have a pretty good idea what's really going on. In Thai culture which daughter is the hero of the family and making merit the most?

My vote would go to the one who doesn't have to lie about what she's doing. That's kind of a dead giveaway.

And you'd be wrong. In Thailand money is king. Always. Always.

I dare you to come to my Asoke office and say that to our Thai women, many of whom could triple what we pay them, a block away at Soi Cowboy.

If you take me up on the dare, wear a cup. And running shoes.

for all you know that could be part timers looking for younger farangs at the nightclubs on weekends, or on internet dating sites desperately seeking a farang husband

IMO in the mid-term (5 years or so) the following is likely to happen:

The garish in your face establishments are in the crosshairs. The shops closed last week on Soi 7/1 are an example of that.

The suspected underage and trafficking shops are in the crosshairs. AS THEY SHOULD BE. The recent Rachada Road raids are an example of that.

The screws will be tightened on the silver pole and floorshow venues. Slowly so everyone will have time to adjust to the new economic normal. Farang owned and operated businesses will be top of the list of course.

Neon will be out of fashion. Marketing will be curtailed. Websites will be plain vanilla. What some call underground will still really be quite visible to those who are looking for it.

The organized nightlife clusters will be tamped down on to the point of financial extinction. The property will be put to a higher commercial use. The reborn will be smaller and scattered.

Opportunities for horizontal mingling will still exist. Ladies will still be about on the streets. Bars and disco's will still attract the usual following. Discrete massage shops will still offer all manor of happy happy. The internet will become more important as a primary point of introduction.

More like the pay-for-play scene around the planet really.

SL

Throw in some flying pigs over the horizon and I think you are exactly right in your predictions. Thailand always does what is sets out to do. Quite correct.

One marries a farmer and together they have just enough money to get by. The other goes down to Pattaya and starts selling services. She sends 5000 a month back to mom and dad who, despite the fact that she told them she was a waitress have a pretty good idea what's really going on. In Thai culture which daughter is the hero of the family and making merit the most?

My vote would go to the one who doesn't have to lie about what she's doing. That's kind of a dead giveaway.

I dare you to come to my Asoke office and say that to our Thai women, many of whom could triple what we pay them, a block away at Soi Cowboy.

for all you know that could be part timers looking for younger farangs at the nightclubs on weekends, or on internet dating sites desperately seeking a farang husband

Maybe curtailing the sex tourist industry might help dispel the idiotic notion that all Thai women are prostitutes.

There are good and bad points in every country, and Thailands good points far outweigh the bad.

Imagine how great Thailand would be if most of the average Thai people had even average intelligence.

What a racist comment.Imagine how great Thailand would be better off without you and your ilk here.

I am only telling it the way I see it, ie, the carnage on the roads, I would guess that about 80% of the adult Thai population either drive or ride motorbikes, and most of them, yes most, have very little common sense on the roads.

That 80%, with the same little common sense, are also working at their jobs or doing other things. Go figure.

If you don't like Thai people we can point you in the direction of the airport quite easily. Flights are getting cheaper by the day. But wait, you need to save up the 20K to pay your overstay fine.

he said what most people think but are scared to say, a lot of thais are poorly educated and lack common sense, the average thai minivan driver would be lucky to get a job scrubbing toilets in the west. Why do you think thai roads are so dangerous? it has nothing to do with the condition of the roads rather it has everything to do with the mentality and intelligence of the people on the roads here

Except that we seem to be having a rash of marriages and kids being born. The standard joke making the rounds is that it must be something in the bottled water. Truth is, most of them are at the same stage as young employees back home. Not a one of them married to foreigners and none of the kids out of wedlock, nor to foreigners.

It is sad reflection on members of this forum that most equate young Thai people demeaning themselves for the gratification of foreigners as a good thing for Thailand.Somewhere for the worlds desperate and dateless to go for something they can't get at home.The days of the loud,drunk farangs fondling young people in public are numbered.This would not be tolerated anywhere in the western world and most of the Asian world as well.Imagine thousands,upon thousands of Thai millionaires sitting around fondling young western women,getting pissed and breaking minor laws,day in day out in any western resort you care to mention, never mind a capital city.Would the authorities put up with that.Would the local lads put up with their sisters selling themselves to rich Thais.Imagine a young women bringing a pissed up old Thai to outback Australia or rural USA ,and passing him off as the boyfriend.If we wouldn't tolerate it,why should Thailand.The Pattaya ,etc business model is coming to an end.If this is the reason you live here,you are here for the wrong reasons.Thailand and i will not miss you as you scurry across the border.I think Thais have been very,very tolerant of farangs often outragious behaviour,with no consideration of local customs.When it wasn't so obvious Thais could ignore it,but not now.The 50 year party is coming to an end and the internet will only hurry that along.Prostitution will never stop,but will be more discreate as in other countries.

Maybe curtailing the sex tourist industry might help dispel the idiotic notion that all Thai women are prostitutes.

never suggested all thai womer are, go on a dating site and you will see the number of women who work regular jobs but want a bit of extra cash on the side, wake up

'Thailand is closed to sex trade' says country’s first female tourism minister

By Andrew Marszal

LONDON: -- Thailand has promised to eradicate its notorious sex tourism industry as it attempts to reinvent itself as a female-friendly travel destination.

Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul, the country’s first female tourism minister, made the pledge following a series of police raids on Thai brothels last month, amid concerns over human trafficking and underage sex workers.

“We want Thailand to be about quality tourism. We want the sex industry gone,” Ms Kobkarn told Reuters.

“Tourists don’t come to Thailand for such a thing. They come here for our beautiful culture.”

Prostitution has been illegal in the south-east Asian country since 1960, but the industry employs more than 120,000 sex workers, with authorities frequently accused of turning a blind eye.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/17/thailand-is-closed-to-sex-tourism-says-countrys-first-female-tou/

-- The Telegraph 2016-07-18

Yeah right ,, not !! I've flown in to Phuket an a plane nearly full of single guys. They may visit the temples and lie on the beach during the day, but for sure it is the night life they come here for and the availability of many girls (and some guys) selling SEX....

I'm now thoroughly fed up with the sex industry and all it stands for - but if the minister thinks she's going to stop it by raiding brothels......... words fail to convey the stupidity that this implies.

Thailand is an inherently sexist, male dominated society - just a glance at the TV and advertising will show you that - so raiding the odd "wash-'n-wank" isn't going to change a national psyche that has dominated for centuries.

if she really cares for the tourist industry, she would be better off concentrating her energies on protecting the natural sources of Thailand that attract the majority of visitors to the country and could do for years to come...if they still exist

IMO, they're not saying it in so many words but it's the in your face entertainment venues that are sitting on very expensive land that they ultimately want to rid themselves of. Coincidentially they're frequented mostly by farang. The Thai scene will not be touched to this degree as it's tucked away and is not the problem in their eyes.

Personally, these places are just to show friends and ppl watch as everything about it is not worth throwing out your money on. Beers and women are priced like the west.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

Prostitution is the use of your body to get money. Does not mean sex only. Instead of using their brain like most of us do. Foreign teachers use their "white hairy skin" to get a job. Even though most of them are not academically qualify. This is a form of prostitution.

No. No it isn't.

You're right.

Dictionary definition: the practice or occupation of engaging in sexual activity with someone for payment.

Winnie

Also called "marriage" lol

Quality tourism ? Which planet is this lady on ? Over the past 35 years the "quality" of tourists that I have seen has steadily declined to where it is now, the dregs from Calcutta, the Middle East, and let,s not forget about the big spenders from China sad.png and it seems that this is being encouraged by the government !

As opposed to fat old men that sit around bars all day,running down the country they live in and fondling women old enough to be their granddaughters.

Yeah right ,, not !! I've flown in to Phuket an a plane nearly full of single guys. They may visit the temples and lie on the beach during the day, but for sure it is the night life they come here for and the availability of many girls (and some guys) selling SEX....

You figure all that unbridled testosterone may be having a negative effect on family tourists who then spend their tourist dollars where it's not so in your face and they don't have to explain the unexplainable to their kids?

Of course, we all know it will not disappear, regardless of how misguided this current tourism minister is. She will be gone soon enough, and for some of us that cannot happen fast enough. Her background was completely, and utterly inappropriate for the portfolio position of tourism and sports minister. She could not possibly be more out of her element. As usual, with the little man, she was not picked for her talent in the tourism area. No merit in his administration is ever considered. Her studies and experience are as follows:

Fine Arts, Wellesley College, US; degree in Architecture, Rhode Island School of Design, US. Former Assistant to Project Manager, MahBoonKrong Center Co., for the interior design of the largest shopping complex in Bangkok. Joined Toshiba Thailand Co. as Advertising Manager; successive promotions leading up to post as Chairperson. These are not qualifications to lead the country into a new era of tourism, and certainly not the proper qualification to lead the sports ministry. Just the fact that the two departments are combined shows such a dramatic lack of wisdom, vision, and clarity of mission.

For her to even hint that they are looking at high quality tourists is beyond disingenuous. At a time when they have boosted the Chinese tourism up to 35% of the nation's total, when they are one of the lowest quality tourists to be found anywhere on the planet (in terms of spending per person) she has demonstrated, and continues to demonstrate her complete incompetence, at her job. I believe this swing toward the Chinese tourists will go down in history, as one of the greatest blunders of the Thai tourism industry. They cannot be considered a substitute for western tourists, who spend far more per day, than these tours, who book hotels at perhaps 40% of the rack rate, require massive discounts in restaurants, and do not stimulate the overall economy. Her utter lack of vision when it comes to developing the market is becoming legendary.

As for her sports ministry position. What can one say? She does not have her hands full enough as it is? Or is this just a way of the government telling all the nation's athletes, you just do not matter. You are not significant for us to devote a department to you. We could not find someone with a background in sports. We found a fine arts graduate, who has a small amount of design experience. You just do not matter. Sorry. We had to combine the departments to save some money.

She went to RISD? The Rhode Island School of Design? Being a Rhode Island native I am surprised that she found her way to that little place. It is an interesting institution and I guess if one were in the North East USA and interested in architecture it is understandable.

No doubt it is a very good school. But, as a qualification for tourism and sports minister? Where is the meritocracy? How much thought was given to her background, before appointing her to this rather important position? Hello!

She's funny, THAI culture, run down temples, dirty wash rooms, dirty food handlers, thieves, not 1 person speaks English at my local LOTUS store, under trained technicians, underage drinking, kids on motorbikes, 15 people in the back of a pick-up, trucks and buses crashing every day.

Take away the income for the sex trade, no more new motorbikes bought for girlfriends, no new houses or farms and education for their kids because the lazy Thai man who knocks-up a girl and then leaves her with the kids.

Please Ms. TOURIST police get a grip on what is real. I BET you have a nice 20 million baht house, good job, where did all that money come from.

SHE would be a great girlfriend for Clinton, both live in the clouds.

"not 1 person speaks English at my local LOTUS store,"

Why would you think they speak English,not necessary if you speak Thai.

And, of course, the Tourism Minister will make paid work available to all those displaced? And those sex places for locals will also be closed, not just ":tourist" ones?

The industry should be decriminalised and controlled (keep the criminal element out) not regulated further underground.

Another Minister, another talk fest and unable to face the realities of human history.

She's funny, THAI culture, run down temples, dirty wash rooms, dirty food handlers, thieves, not 1 person speaks English at my local LOTUS store, under trained technicians, underage drinking, kids on motorbikes, 15 people in the back of a pick-up, trucks and buses crashing every day.

Take away the income for the sex trade, no more new motorbikes bought for girlfriends, no new houses or farms and education for their kids because the lazy Thai man who knocks-up a girl and then leaves her with the kids.

Please Ms. TOURIST police get a grip on what is real. I BET you have a nice 20 million baht house, good job, where did all that money come from.

It's the international language and they work for TESCO.

Yes, no doubt she is wealth. According to this filing, as of two years ago, in the range of $9 million US.

Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul, Minister of Tourism and Sports, has assets of 315.4 million baht together with her spouse and children.

http://thaitribune.org/contents/detail/112?content_id=6723

I find your description of Thailand to be a bit harsh. Sure, we all have our issues here. But, many of us find the place rather charming. And I for one, really like the Thai people. As much as I may complain sometimes, I find them to have alot of redeeming qualities. Especially their disposition, humor, lightheartedness, willingness to work hard (most), and kindness. And Thailand has a fairly dynamic and diverse economy. The sex trade is only a small part of that. But, without it, the pain would be felt no doubt.

I do agree with the issues about traffic safety, and the lack of english skills. Both are deplorable, and completely unnecessary. Both are the result of institutional indifference and sloth.

'Thailand is closed to sex trade' says country’s first female tourism minister

By Andrew Marszal

LONDON: -- Thailand has promised to eradicate its notorious sex tourism industry as it attempts to reinvent itself as a female-friendly travel destination.

Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul, the country’s first female tourism minister, made the pledge following a series of police raids on Thai brothels last month, amid concerns over human trafficking and underage sex workers.

“We want Thailand to be about quality tourism. We want the sex industry gone,” Ms Kobkarn told Reuters.

“Tourists don’t come to Thailand for such a thing. They come here for our beautiful culture.”

Prostitution has been illegal in the south-east Asian country since 1960, but the industry employs more than 120,000 sex workers, with authorities frequently accused of turning a blind eye.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/17/thailand-is-closed-to-sex-tourism-says-countrys-first-female-tou/

-- The Telegraph 2016-07-18

"Tourists don't come to Thailand for such a thing." What planet is this woman living on. Thailand has one of the largest sex tourism industries in the world.

It is no secret that the industry exists because the police allow it to exist, for a large fee, and it remains one of the only jobs available to many young countryside girls who have family financial obligations.

So, what would happen it the industry, including the rooms in the countryside that cater to village men, was legalized and regulated. I know, that is very likely impossible. But what would happen if it was: Eliminate most if not all of the associated human trafficking; institute good healthcare for the workers; give workers a union to protect their rights; set up the policing outside the police structure or within a completely separate structure that would have accountability; and finally set up financial controls that would eliminate corruption or find the offenders quickly.

Would prices go up. Absolutely.

It's the international language and they work for TESCO.

Naghh... Da Man has P tang standards... she would not make the line up...

Only way to rid Thailand of prostitution would be to medically insure all Thai-men became impotent and stayed that way.

Of course the more visible tourist focused prostitution, could more easily be removed (read: hidden). They could just start closing down the known tourist bar-areas. Next would then be to forbid all foreign men to enter the country or all Thai-girls to stay indoor.

Would love to see how the execute this one. Let me guess... a few "crack-downs" and the idea is forgotten in a couple of weeks?

Edited by khunpa

No need to close down any venues. And it need not affect the locally based sex business one iota.

Just make a big public deal about deporting a few foreigners caught with hookers and the venues would starve to death. Locals need not fear deportation.

I'm not advocating it nationwide, but perhaps a pilot project to pick one potentially first rate tourist destination to clean up. Instead of hookers, have Thunder Boat races, or international wind surfing competition, or big name jet ski competition, or Supercross scooter racing, or Tour de Thailand, or...or... May turn out catastrophic, maybe the light bulb will switch on.

I recall focusing on families worked pretty well for Las Vegas when they figured out that families spend a lot of vacation money...

Edited by impulse