Attn: Bangkok Bank Credit Card Holders

Hi!

I know that for many foreigners, it's a requirement to have a fixed deposit with Bangkok Bank before getting a credit card with limit equal to the fixed deposit.

I was able to get a credit card with Bangkok Bank this way.

However, my fixed deposit is maturing on July 23; and I was never informed by the bank or credit card management that I must re-deposit it or roll it over.

1) From your experience (if you've experienced something similar), will my credit limit suddenly drop to zero on July 24th?

2) Do I have to go to the branch ASAP and roll over the fixed deposit, in order to keep my credit card active?

3) Or, do I now have a legit credit card without need for fixed deposit anymore because I already had the card for 1 year.

(I have no outstanding balance from the previous bills, by the way; if that makes a difference)

Some might say I should go and "ask the branch" (whose officer will no doubt "suggest" I rollover) but if I can keep the credit card without re-depositing, then it would be better for me.

Thanks! biggrin.png

I do not have a "credit card" with Bangkok Bank....and I do not want one.

I do have two bank accounts with them and a Be1st debit card.

I use that card locally in ATMs for Thai Baht from my account.

I receive a monthly government (U.S. Social Security) direct deposit to my Bangkok Bank account, and that is enough for me.

Anyhow, if I do ever change my mind and want a credit card, at least I'll know how it is done.

But I doubt that will happen soon.

Why would anyone on here be able to answer a question only the bank can answer?

If a poster on Thaivisa gives an answer that you like better than the bank's answer are you going to insist that the bank does what a poster here tells you?

I have a BB Visa and Mastercard. Both are secured with a significant deposit. I have had the cards for a couple of years. I have never been contacted about "rolling over" the deposit. The money just sits there, collecting a bit of interest, and going up and down as I use the cards and pay off the balance. No fuss, no muss.

I do not have a "credit card" with Bangkok Bank....and I do not want one.

I do have two bank accounts with them and a Be1st debit card.

I use that card locally in ATMs for Thai Baht from my account.

I receive a monthly government (U.S. Social Security) direct deposit to my Bangkok Bank account, and that is enough for me.

Anyhow, if I do ever change my mind and want a credit card, at least I'll know how it is done.

But I doubt that will happen soon.

Not exactly what the OP was asking about, but thanks for sharing....

Do I have to go to the branch ASAP and roll over the fixed deposit, in order to keep my credit card active?

Most likely the fixed deposit will roll over unless you notify them not to do that. But, as others have said, the only answer that will matter is what they tell you at the bank, even if it's at odds with what you read in this thread.

Do I have to go to the branch ASAP and roll over the fixed deposit, in order to keep my credit card active?

Most likely the fixed deposit will roll over unless you notify them not to do that. But, as others have said, the only answer that will matter is what they tell you at the bank, even if it's at odds with what you read in this thread.

Yes, BKK-Bank does the roll overs automatically. If they had a special agreement with your account they surely would inform you in time.

I have a credit card with BB and SCB .BB require a term deposit that is rolled over every twelve months and will continue to do so unless i cancel the card .SCB retain a minimum agreed balance in my savings account .

If the bank allowed you to withdraw the fixed deposit while you still wanted to use the card they would have no guarantee you would repay the bank.

The cards are free and incur no charges and are useful also you receive points for purchases and interest on the fixed deposit.

However if you have no need for such a card don't bother to have one

It will automatically be renewed/rolled over as a 3 month fixed term deposit.

No impact on card use or credit limit.

You will still need to maintain the fixed deposit to support the credit card(s).

All I do with mine is to strip out any interest once a year and return it to the value of my 'credit' limit.

I once tried to convert it to a longer term fixed deposit to get a better interest rate but was 'told' (doesn't mean it is right!) that only the 3 month could be used as a credit card guarantee. I in fact put some more in and increased my 'credit' limit.

I have had the cards many years now and everything has been fine, of course they are not really credit cards as I have to pay them off from my savings account each month, but that is fine by me.

Edited by jacko45k

You will still need to maintain the fixed deposit to support the credit card(s).

All I do with mine is to strip out any interest once a year and return it to the value of my 'credit' limit.

I once tried to convert it to a longer term fixed deposit to get a better interest rate but was 'told' (doesn't mean it is right!) that only the 3 month could be used as a credit card guarantee. I in fact put some more in and increased my 'credit' limit.

I have had the cards many years now and everything has been fine, of course they are not really credit cards as I have to pay them off from my savings account each month, but that is fine by me.

You can pay them from Internet banking app in 1 click, very easy

I think they have direct debit too

It is done automatically, so I need not even do that.

Can't even remember if I asked for that direct debit. I get a warning SMS before it happens too.

Can't even remember if I asked for that direct debit. I get a warning SMS before it happens too.

I would rather retain the option to check the bill before I pay it...

So I said no the direct debit

Its a lot easier to dispute a charge before its paid than after.... If there was an unauthorized charge

Its a lot easier to dispute a charge before its paid than after.... If there was an unauthorized charge

Good point. Although I do check it weekly and get SMS alerts when the card gets used.

Good point. Although I do check it weekly and get SMS alerts when the card gets used.

I have the sms alerts too,the card gets used about 60-80 times a month

The alerts only work at pos terminals if that business also uses bkk bank

I notice the other banks do not have the same efficiency and transactions take about 3 days later to be added to the card bill on my online banking....

Strangely my bkk bank debit card notified me instantly no matter where I used it but the mastercard and visa platinum only do it occasionally...

I'll ask at the bank but doubt anything can be done about it...

• 6 months later...

I went to my branch today and asked for a BBL credit Card application and was told I need to open a Fixed Deposit Account. Unfortunately this requirement is no mentioned anywhere on the BBL website. I already have several savings accounts with BBL and don't really need yet another account.

I have a BB Visa and Mastercard. Both are secured with a significant deposit. I have had the cards for a couple of years. I have never been contacted about "rolling over" the deposit. The money just sits there, collecting a bit of interest, and going up and down as I use the cards and pay off the balance. No fuss, no muss.

I also have BB visa and mastercard credit cards but i never been required to secure them with fixed deposit account. Both cards are from a branch where i have only a saving account with also a B1st debit card. My credit limit are 80,000 per card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, jphasia said:

I also have BB visa and mastercard credit cards but i never been required to secure them with fixed deposit account. Both cards are from a branch where i have only a saving account with also a B1st debit card. My credit limit are 80,000 per card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I suspect that it is some branches who seek to apply the Deposit Account probably for new accounts commission. There is an option to apply directly to BBL HQ Bangkok so I will ask the question in due course.