Special For Mother's Day August 12

theDukes

We all know that there are a lot of kids around here that get abandoned. Here's a chance to do something that you might want to do for some kids w/o parents. On August 12 The Duke's will do 4 pizza parties for free for someones who recommends an orphanage of their choice. You have to tell us the orphanage and why you want to bring them for a free pizza party for the day, you have to get them to the restaurant, it will be one of the 4 The Duke's locations and you have to come with them and have a good time.

On August 12 you have to load the kids into trucks at your cost and bring them to The Duke's, where we tell you to go to which location, and the kids will have a pizza party with you. The pizza party will start at about 10:00 to 10:30.

So if you want to do something nice for the kids around w/o parents here is your chance. Doesn't matter who you are, who the kids are. All that matters is an orphanage that you want to bring to have a party. Each venue can hold up to about 50 kids.

Send me an email at manager(at)wherestheduke.com. Tell me about yourself and your orphanage and why you want to do a party for them.

Dave

Edited by theDukes

Why not just make a bunch of Pizzas and stuff and take it yourselves......If its plubicity your after, throw some photos on the walls......

What a pathetic comment! Here he is, offering to host parties at his four nice restaurants and you sit behind your keyboard and suggest he should do something different.

Why don't YOU call up Meals-On-Wheels-4U and order some pizzas to send to an orphanage? That way you wouldn't have to leave your keyboard.

I am not sure how this would even work.

If an orphanage has 15 kids, how can you "get them to the restaurant" by "...load(ing) the kids into trucks at your cost and bring them to The Duke's?" Or do you have a raffle and only 4 get to go? Or do you rent 4 trucks for the day?

Do orphanages even let strangers come and take the kids away on the pretext of "free food"?

As kind hearted as this seems, it sounds very ad hoc and unprofessional.

I am not sure how this would even work.

If an orphanage has 15 kids, how can you "get them to the restaurant" by "...load(ing) the kids into trucks at your cost and bring them to The Duke's?" Or do you have a raffle and only 4 get to go? Or do you rent 4 trucks for the day?

Do orphanages even let strangers come and take the kids away on the pretext of "free food"?

As kind hearted as this seems, it sounds very ad hoc and unprofessional.

Admirable,but it does appear to make more sense to take the pizzas to selected orphanages as opposed to taking kids to the restaurants. Much easier to transport the pizzas than the kids?

Haven't you ever heard of hiring a couple songthaews?

Come one guys, the idea is for the kids to come into the restaurants to have a nice little party.

Back when Hubby was in a Thai Rotary club, they used to take kids from an orphanage out to Flight of the Gibbon for an outing. They hire a couple songthaews and the braver Rotary club members rode with the kids. FOTG gave away free rides and the food afterwards for a little party and the Rotary club organized the event and paid for the transport. This was a Thai Rotary club and no one made nasty comments about the generosity of FOTG. Like "why do you only offer these free rides during low season" or "why can't you send YOUR vans out to the orphanage".

There's some twisted losers on this forum who appear to never have given anything back to their community nor do they appreciate anyone who does.

It's demotivating for those who do.

Come one guys, the idea is for the kids to come into the restaurants to have a nice little party.

Back when Hubby was in a Thai Rotary club, they used to take kids from an orphanage out to Flight of the Gibbon for an outing. They hire a couple songthaews and the braver Rotary club members rode with the kids. FOTG gave away free rides and the food afterwards for a little party and the Rotary club organized the event and paid for the transport. This was a Thai Rotary club and no one made nasty comments about the generosity of FOTG. Like "why do you only offer these free rides during low season" or "why can't you send YOUR vans out to the orphanage".

There's some twisted losers on this forum who appear to never have given anything back to their community nor do they appreciate anyone who does.

I guess your reference was also to me,at least appears to be?

Our little group of friends have taken food clothes shoes etc and donated cash to a couple of orphanages and the blind school on the moat and helped build an orphanage out towards Mae Teng over the years. What we don't tend to do is make a song and dance about it but thank you for the opportunity.

As I said I think the thought is admirable, but simply commenting on the way executing it perhaps allowing more youngsters to benefit from it,we are still allowed to do that I believe?

I guess your reference was also to me,at least appears to be?

Our little group of friends have taken food clothes shoes etc and donated cash to a couple of orphanages and the blind school on the moat and helped build an orphanage out towards Mae Teng over the years. What we don't tend to do is make a song and dance about it but thank you for the opportunity.

As I said I think the thought is admirable, but simply commenting on the way executing it perhaps allowing more youngsters to benefit from it,we are still allowed to do that I believe?

Absolutely correct, Thailand. Helping someone because you want recognition (not talking about businesses) and helping someone just to help them are very different things.

Benevolence should not be measured by how much something or someone is recognized, but by the true intent.

Edited by hml367

That's great to know, hml367 ...

So, that means you are a mind reader and you must know what is the true motivation of the Dukes.

Can you do me a favor ...I am really wondering who killed the Swede with the dog kennel the other day ...you surely must know??

I think you guys are missing the point of the OP. Obviously, hml367, Thailand, Truijilo and NickJ don't know anyone at orphanages and/or don't care to organize a little party. I do and I'm going to be forwarding this offer onto some folks I know.

The point of this post wasn't for Dave to pat himself on the back.

And to the poster Thailand,

Does Dave at Dukes represent you? I mean are you a member of some club, church, government, or something that would give you rights to determine or have a say over what he does with his money, with his charity?

I'm wondering WHY you DO think you have a right to try to control what he does with that?

That's great to know, hml367 ...

So, that means you are a mind reader and you must know what is the true motivation of the Dukes.

Can you do me a favor ...I am really wondering who killed the Swede with the dog kennel the other day ...you surely must know??

You obviously missed the part where I said "not businesses". It looks like NancyL missed it, too.

I've been to several orphanages in this area and I will bet that the kids in any of them will jump at the chance to go to a Pizza Party at a nice air conditioned restaurant where the Pizza is oven fresh. It'll be a special event for them. Great idea from the Dukes.

Edited by prism

I think you guys are over thinking this. Very simple. We do parties for the orphanages all the time. We used to do a few orphanages for Thanksgiving. The kids love it. If you are associated with an orphanage, have a friend who is associated or want to do something nice for them this is your chance. Don't want to help us, them, yourself? Not a problem. Try not to ruin something nice.

I think you guys are over thinking this. Very simple. We do parties for the orphanages all the time. We used to do a few orphanages for Thanksgiving. The kids love it. If you are associated with an orphanage, have a friend who is associated or want to do something nice for them this is your chance. Don't want to help us, them, yourself? Not a problem. Try not to ruin something nice.

The voice of reason.

Had already sent the info to someone I know when I saw your original post, could well be in touch with their recommendation and may be a bit more.

the o/p invitation is a very very, noble , just think about it ,the kids would think all their xmas,s have come at once, going to Dukes for a PIZZA

So very sad to be see/ such a generous offer being Shot Down In Flames, by a few

E/S doffs his hat to the O/Pclap2.gif

I think this is such a nice offer by the Dukes and I cannot believe people are trying to punch holes in it! To suggest this is just for publicity makes me laugh. As one poster mentioned, wouldn't it be nice to get the kids away from the orphanage and into a nice air conditioned restaurant for a "Special Day" as opposed to just dropping some pies off? Kudos to Duke's!!!!

If this is all so easy and you can do it yourself, why ask for strangers to organize their own transportation?

I have nothing against giving free food to people, but you have to admit, the OP does sound very ad hoc.

You are right; I am not an orphanage guru. How many orphans are there in your average CM orphanage? Online I find:

Ban Rom Sai Orphanage and it says they house 30 kids until they are 18 years old.

Imjai House has "about three dozen" mostly in their teens and preteens.

Piyawat Orphanage has 25 Hmong orphans.

BanSanFaan has "28 children in residence, ages infant through 18 years."

Agape Home "provides a loving family for 100+ children aged 0-21 yrs."

Leaving out that last one, it looks like just from these we are talking about 119 kids of varying ages. Seems to me that if you want to help one set of kids, you really have to help them all, right? Or if not, how do you choose which get free food and fun?

This is my point, not that you ought not to give some kids some free food, if you feel that way -- go for it.

My question is how does this work? Seems to me there would need to be some serious organizational skills going on, and some costs to hire and retain all the songtaos for the transport.

By the way, I do not support or condone orphanages that trade care, and room and board in exchange for brainwashing the kids into Christianity. That is totally wrong.

(By the way, Aug. 12 is my birthday. Is the Duke's prepared to throw me a party? I'm an orphan.)

Edited by Trujillo

Most of the orphanages are used to moving the kids from point A to point B. Sometimes they have vans and buses. Beautiful thing about Chiang Mai is it's fairly easy to get around. We don't want to deal with that detail unless we absolutely have to. Putting together 4 restaurants and lunch for 200 kids and support adults is enough for us.

By the way we have our first group so we have 3 more spaces to fill.

If this is all so easy and you can do it yourself, why ask for strangers to organize their own transportation?

I have nothing against giving free food to people, but you have to admit, the OP does sound very ad hoc.

You are right; I am not an orphanage guru. How many orphans are there in your average CM orphanage? Online I find:

Ban Rom Sai Orphanage and it says they house 30 kids until they are 18 years old.

Leaving out that last one, it looks like just from these we are talking about 119 kids of varying ages. Seems to me that if you want to help one set of kids, you really have to help them all, right? Or if not, how do you choose which get free food and fun?

This is my point, not that you ought not to give some kids some free food, if you feel that way -- go for it.

My question is how does this work? Seems to me there would need to be some serious organizational skills going on, and some costs to hire and retain all the songtaos for the transport.

By the way, I do not support or condone orphanages that trade care, and room and board in exchange for brainwashing the kids into Christianity. That is totally wrong.

(By the way, Aug. 12 is my birthday. Is the Duke's prepared to throw me a party? I'm an orphan.)

And since you associate so well with the homes and kids on many levels give one a call and talk to them about bringing a group. Open for all.

I totally disagree with you.
If you must make an act of generosity must be discreet. When it is associated with a brand and also inexpensive it is called charity business and highly suspect.
Near my house there is a small haven for children of the mountains, with or without parents. I assure you they do not lack anything. I even got all the difficulties in their taste for a tart Tatin I had cooked for a birthday. Still, I'm a good cook.

has some one got a muzzle !!!!!!

Someone try's to do something good for some unfortunate children,

and he gets abuse,calling into question what his motives might be,

can it not just be that he wants to bring a bit of joy into the lives of

these orphans.

regards Worgeordie

Most of the orphanages are used to moving the kids from point A to point B. Sometimes they have vans and buses. Beautiful thing about Chiang Mai is it's fairly easy to get around. We don't want to deal with that detail unless we absolutely have to. Putting together 4 restaurants and lunch for 200 kids and support adults is enough for us.By the way we have our first group so we have 3 more spaces to fill.

Looks like we have a second home so 2 spaces left.

D

Sorry Dave, the orphanage I had in mind already has an on-site event planned for the day. Let me join those who are thanking you for this generous offer --- not just of a few pizzas, but for the opportunity for the kids too come to your stores and enjoy the air con and pleasant surroundings. I know your staff will do a great job of making them welcome.

Someone try's to do something good for some unfortunate children,

and he gets abuse,calling into question what his motives might be,

can it not just be that he wants to bring a bit of joy into the lives of

these orphans.

regards Worgeordie

"LET NO GOOD DEED GO UNPUNISHED!!!!!!"

Again, Kudos to the Duke's Restaurants and their staff!!!

David, if you find someone who has an orphanage that they want to attend this pizza event but does not have transportation I have volunteers from the VFW with SUVs including myself that will do the transporting. PM me if we can help.