Quiet start to Buddhist lent after thief steals temple's sound system

webfact

Quiet start to Buddhist lent after thief steals temple's sound system
By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

sisa.jpg
Police inspect the crime scene at Wat Baan Non Khae on Wednesday morning.

SISAKET — The parishioners of Wat Baan Non Khae will have to observe the beginning of Buddhist Lent without the usual dhamma teachings, thanks to a thief who stole its sound equipment Wednesday morning.

Abbot Supol Jirasubodhi told police the thief most likely burgled the temple around 6am while he and the other monks were out collecting morning alms.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2016/07/20/quiet-start-buddhist-lent-thief-steals-temples-sound-system/

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-07-20

Peace and quiet, love it.

Wish they would come and steal the sound system from our local Tessaban in Kalasin They have 5 Tannoy speakers outside my house and often start their awful Molam music and chat at 6 a.m. Also all the speaker vans touring the streets peddling their wares

People including the police just laugh if I complain .... " This is Thailand " ...they say

what sort of person steals from a wat

I was close todoing that. The temple next to us use their high power loudspeaker system all the time early in the morning or late at night.

They don't respect other peoples' need for rest

Usually there are not more than 50 worshippers in the temple - they could easily do without.

If you think stolen property is okay you're a proper piece of shit.

Also it's not new news that temples here are loud. You wanna know how to solve that? Don't <deleted> move next to a temple. Idiots.

Also it's not new news that temples here are loud. You wanna know how to solve that? Don't <deleted> move next to a temple. Idiots.

Proper piece of shit. Absolute classic.lolololol. well said rev.

you don't have to be next to a temple, in a village the temple noise dominates the whole village and beyond

I have found people from India, Morocco and Thailand love loud noise anything from Temples, Bars, mufflers, talking and mouth noise while eating, of course on the eating noise, impossible to be louder than Chinese, like slopping hogs !!

Regrettably, (and putting aside your rather colourful if not absurd explanation), when one abbot departs and another takes over so does the manner in which the wat operates. From experience, irrespective of where one lives, if all else fails, the best way to combat this problem is to go see the provincial chief of police (taking a good interpreter) and explain politely the situation. Even if a donation to the next policeman's ball is required it is a sure way to get the PA system either turned down or switched off all together. Worked for me.

Note to thief:
please contact me, I can name three wats and five mosques in my immediate neighbourhood with:
- too much talking, blabbering and sermoning
- far too many loud speakers; its either Buddhism or Islam with little breaks in between

I find it intrusive for all concerned as the Buddhists don't want to listen to the Quran readings, the Fidels don't enjoy the Buddhist sermons while all other infidels don't like the ear shattering volumes of neither, Nuff said!

Maybe some sort of crowd funding could be set up to encourage this behavior..... If Buddhism is about "mindfulness" then how about those in charge of wat sound systems demonstrate this plus perhaps compassion for those who need to sleep?