Sam Kong underpass road-surfacing finally begins

snoop1130

Sam Kong underpass road-surfacing finally begins
Chanida Summast

post-249866-0-67326200-1469186262_thumb.

PHUKET:-- After more than a month of preparation work laying the foundations for the surface roads on the west side of the Sam Kong Underpass, workers today (July 22) began paving the road surface.

Work to resurface the roads at the beleaguered construction site began on June 19, with statement of intent to complete the road surfacing within 20 days. (See story here.)

However, intermittent heavy downpours during the past month forced the workers to breach that deadline, Highways Department Project Engineer Chalermpol Wongkiettikun told The Phuket News today.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/sam-kong-underpass-road-surfacing-finally-begins-58366.php#DdDMzSwX6iv6cSV1.97

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-07-22

I don't have any background in road construction, therefore my question. Is it possible to apply asphalt on a wet surface?

Just have a lock on this big water puddle. The applied asphalt surface will make any bond with the subsurface at this condition? How long will it take until it's break apart? In a couple of days with heavy traffic? I'm afraid so. Furthermore, how thick must be the asphalt surface in Thailand? They have any norm or is it up to each construction company how much money they want to spend? A quick search shows, in other countries the recommended thickness has a minimum of 12cm for main roads. In this picture it looks like that they are applying just 2 – 3cm of asphalt.

Therefore will be the next question. When they'll start with the maintenance and is this included in a warranty?

I don't have any background in road construction, therefore my question. Is it possible to apply asphalt on a wet surface?

Just have a lock on this big water puddle. The applied asphalt surface will make any bond with the subsurface at this condition? How long will it take until it's break apart? In a couple of days with heavy traffic? I'm afraid so. Furthermore, how thick must be the asphalt surface in Thailand? They have any norm or is it up to each construction company how much money they want to spend? A quick search shows, in other countries the recommended thickness has a minimum of 12cm for main roads. In this picture it looks like that they are applying just 2 – 3cm of asphalt.

Therefore will be the next question. When they'll start with the maintenance and is this included in a warranty?

Asphalt is a oil based product so needs to be applied to a dry surface, even potholes need to be dried, usually with a butane torch, before refilling. If the surface is too wet, and/or too thin, the asphalt will lift quickly, as we see on many Thai roads.

Asphalt is a oil based product so needs to be applied to a dry surface, even potholes need to be dried, usually with a butane torch, before refilling. If the surface is too wet, and/or too thin, the asphalt will lift quickly, as we see on many Thai roads.

"the asphalt will lift quickly, as we see on many Thai roads." - which is exactly what it is required to do here. :)

I believe the steamrollers (?) have a continuous water supply running down the rollers to prevent the asphalt from sticking to them.

This water also helps to cool and set the material.

However, laying it directly into a puddle, as pictured, would seem to be a mistake.

Ah the good old 20 day optimism deadline. Has one ever been met?

some tolerance levels must be accepted due to unfavourable

weather conditions, which cannot be predicted with pin point

precision.

Some tolerance level lol.

Aren't they more then 1 year behind the first deadline.