Better to do in the UK

Bangkok bank selling sterling at 48 baht. Seems high.

Would I be better changing in the UK?

Where is the best booth/bank in Pattaya to change money please? Baht to sterling?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance. wai.gif

Edited by thequietman

Definitely do not exchange THB to GBP in the U.K. Just as an example to illustrate the point the current GBP/THB exchange rates are:

Bangkok Bank, Thailand: 48.08
NatWest Bank, U.K.: 50.506

Sophon

Go to Super Rich or Vasu.

Super Rich in Pattaya? where please? Many thanks. Here? Cental Festival Mall Pattaya.

VASU????? wai.gif

Not in Pattaya.

Check out some of the competing booths along Soi Buakhow to compare rates. Selling GBP the black and yellow signage TT Exchanges are usually ok but don't know about buying.

Yenjit in Walking Street (if still there) is another perennial favourite.

Unfortunately you need to look around.

Super Rich in Pattaya? where please? Many thanks. Here? Cental Festival Mall Pattaya.

VASU????? wai.gif

Not in Pattaya.

Check out some of the competing booths along Soi Buakhow to compare rates. Selling GBP the black and yellow signage TT Exchanges are usually ok but don't know about buying.

what about here?

VASU????? wai.gif

Not in Pattaya.

what about here?

Does not show here - http://www.superrich.co.th/location.php

And I have never noticed it in there but don't go that often - but never heard of anybody else in all the many exchange threads suggesting that they were in Pattaya? Happy to be proven wrong if their rates are same as Bangkok..........

Well known Yenjit Pattaya sells 1 GBP for 47.05 THB (today 22 July 2016).

http://www.yenjit.com/branchrate/pattaya.php

Rates in Bangkok slightly better.

I doubt that all booths in Pattaya will sell foreign currency.

I doubt this also for that Superrich booth in Central shopping.

And I once passed by and saw buying rates which were not competitive.

Not as absurd like at that glas-booth at Mike but still bad.

Some bank-rates from today:

Kasikorn 47.6

Krungsri (Ayuthaya) 47.97

Bangkok Bank 48.08

TMB 48.54 !!!

TMB worst rates as usual: don't bother us with exchange business tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

Best place is the yellow fronted places on 2nd road. There are 2 almost opposite each other. Coming from walking street turn left onto 2nd road and they are a couple of minutes walk. Not sure of the name but they give the best rate I've seen. And you can pop into the Boat restaurant for a nice meal afterwards. The potato balls are wonderful.

Sorry I misread, you want to change baht to sterling, why not exchange with a holiday maker.

Edited by berybert

Best place is the yellow fronted places on 2nd road. There are 2 almost opposite each other. Coming from walking street turn left onto 2nd road and they are a couple of minutes walk. Not sure of the name but they give the best rate I've seen. And you can pop into the Boat restaurant for a nice meal afterwards. The potato balls are wonderful.

Sorry I misread, you want to change baht to sterling, why not exchange with a holiday maker.

TT Exchange - they are all over the place

Just noticed that TT Exchange has an FB page.

At least at their headoffce they seem to sell foreign currency.

And obey this interesting notice:

According to the Bank of Thailand regulations, customers who wish to purchase foreign currencies must present your passport. Each cannot exchange more than 5,000 USD or equivalence.
Your national ID or driving license is not permitted.

https://www.facebook.com/ttexchange/photos/pcb.1702975066648863/1702974819982221/?type=3&theater

Edited by KhunBENQ

Krungsri are offering 46.6 at the moment

You are looking at the wrong rate, the OP is talking about buying GBP in cash for which the current Krungsri rate is 47.95.

Sophon

@Muhendis is writing about "sending", not a cash transaction.

Yet another rate biggrin.png

You are looking at the wrong rate, the OP is talking about buying GBP in cash for which the current Krungsri rate is 47.95.

Sophon

I am aware that the rate Muhendis quoted is the TT rate, but he didn't mention anything about sending just that Krungsri is offering the rate. Since everybody else have been talking about and quoting cash rates, suddenly quoting a much better rate without qualifying it as being a TT rate could be misleading to some people.

Sophon

Sophon

I am aware that the rate Muhendis quoted is the TT rate, but he didn't mention anything about sending just that Krungsri is offering the rate. Since everybody else have been talking about and quoting cash rates, suddenly quoting a much better rate without qualifying it as being a TT rate could be misleading to some people.

Sophon

Absolutely spot on. Pity Sophon couldn't bring herself to add that qualifier in the initial criticism.

Well known Yenjit Pattaya sells 1 GBP for 47.05 THB (today 22 July 2016).

http://www.yenjit.com/branchrate/pattaya.php

Rates in Bangkok slightly better.

I doubt that all booths in Pattaya will sell foreign currency.

I doubt this also for that Superrich booth in Central shopping.

And I once passed by and saw buying rates which were not competitive.

Not as absurd like at that glas-booth at Mike but still bad.

Some bank-rates from today:

Kasikorn 47.6

Krungsri (Ayuthaya) 47.97

Bangkok Bank 48.08

TMB 48.54 !!!

TMB worst rates as usual: don't bother us with exchange business tongue.png

Yenjit has a couple of offices in Pattaya but you are better off going to the main one in Walking Street. If you exchange a reasonable amount ask and they will give you their Bangkok rate, usually the same as Superrich.

I found the best rates I ever got in Thailand was at the exchange booth just past immigration at the International Airport. Booths in Pattaya are all close and okay. The banks offer about the worst rates and hotels by far the worst.

at the exchange booth just past immigration at the International Airport

?? That't a first timer for me.

All booths on the premises of the AOT (airport authority) have identical rates which are terrible (about 4% loss).

The even seem to find the method to suck via ATM.

A mate (newbie) yesterday used some ATM at the airport.

Either he did not notice or there is no other option, but he was ripped with charging him in his home currency (EUR).

This rate is determined by the ATM operating bank instead of the card organization.

A swindle known as DCC.

The rate was below 37 (36.9?) while bank rates outside were at least 37.9 to 38.1.

So do the math.

Edited by KhunBENQ