Six injured as car rammed into the Erawan Shrine

rooster59

Six injured as car rammed into the Erawan Shrine

post-247607-0-92319500-1469224279_thumb.

BANGKOK:-- Six people were injured when a Toyota sedan driven by a 54-year-old woman rammed into the Erawan Shrine on Rajprasong intersection crowded with tourists at 9 p.m.

Police said it was an accident as the driver developed sudden epilepsy while she was turning right on Rajprasong intersection to Ratdamri road from Rama 1.

The car which lost control then rammed into the people crowded the Erawan Shrine,

All the injured were admitted to nearby Chulalongkorn and the driver to Police hospital.

She was said to have chronic epilepsy.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/173491-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-23

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One has to ask why she was driving if she had chronic epilepsy ? No thought for others, or no idea what could happen if she had a fit whilst driving.

Frightening. Thank goodness she wasn't doing 100mph as she cruised along the top road in her way to fetch somtam

One has to ask why she was driving if she had chronic epilepsy ? No thought for others, or no idea what could happen if she had a fit whilst driving.

As with drunk drivers everywhere for example, " I am ok to drive ".

I'll bet that not for a single minute did this lady think she was a danger behind the wheel, did her family ever try to stop her ?

What will officialdom do now about her, if anything ?

I'll bet that not for a single minute did this lady think she was a danger behind the wheel, did her family ever try to stop her ?

She will get a bigger car to protect herself with ;)

She should go to jail for driving with epilepsy.

As for "sudden epilepsy" - I had a girlfriend that was epileptic and there was no 10 minute warning. It was from OK, to down on the ground in an instant.

Nothing will change as a result of this.

She was issued with a driving license despite her condition. Ask the country, why?

And those caught driving without a license is only fined a few hundred bahts, why again?

It's all an honest mistake.

I'm pretty sure most countries in the world allow you to hold a driver's licenec despite having epilepsy. (Including the countries of all the posters saying "she shouldn't be driving but TIT etc)

In the UK if you are epileptic you cannot drive unless you are on medication and that has prevented seizures for a certain period of time.

Different meds work on different people so there's a bit of trial and error. During that time you ain't driving.

Edited by Dagnabbit

I'm pretty sure most countries in the world allow you to hold a driver's licenec despite having epilepsy. (Including the countries of all the posters saying "she shouldn't be driving but TIT etc)

Wrong!

Most countries in the world place restrictions on epileptic driving.

Is there any point in discussing if this lady had a licence or not, or made a false declaration if she applied denying any medical condition ?

Another useless point is driving while disqualified.

People here will drive or ride motor cycles no matter what.

I would imagine that all rather depends on what her family name is and how much money she has.

Frightening. Thank goodness she wasn't doing 100mph as she cruised along the top road in her way to fetch somtam

Actually, a crash at 100mph would have been beneficial because it would have been the last time she would be behind the wheel.

Yes, in UK it's six months without a fit on current medication before they will issue a licence, then you must surrender for another six months if you have another fit. Severe penalties if you break these rules, but TIT where other people's lives are cheap.

She was issued with a driving license despite her condition. Ask the country, why?

And those caught driving without a license is only fined a few hundred bahts, why again?

She may have been issued with a Lifetime Driving Licence, long before she developed epilepsy

Is there any point in discussing if this lady had a licence or not, or made a false declaration if she applied denying any medical condition ?

Nothing that 6 months in the slammer wouldn't fix. Penalties need to be re-vamped in line with current times. 100/200bt fines are no deterrent.

Actually, a crash at 100mph would have been beneficial because it would have been the last time she would be behind the wheel.

Who uses mph?

Nothing that 6 months in the slammer wouldn't fix. Penalties need to be re-vamped in line with current times. 100/200bt fines are no deterrent.

This country is caught in that Chicken and Egg loop.

Inactions in updating laws and penalties, and inactions in law enforcement.

Because they do not build more penitentiaries...

Yes, in UK it's six months without a fit on current medication before they will issue a licence, then you must surrender for another six months if you have another fit. Severe penalties if you break these rules, but TIT where other people's lives are cheap.

d

My brother had to go 2 years without a seizure before he was allowed to drive

Who uses mph?

The U.S.A. and the U.K., but then, you knew that didn't you?

I remember following a guy with massive OCD riding his motorcycle... He had some kind of spasms and couldn't control the frenetic moves of his whole body. The situation was funny to see but so damn dangerous, I really wondered how he could still be alive riding and how his family and friends was letting him drive anything with his condition...

What did she need to have a licence for?