Can someone be sued for something which is signed before getting a wp?

Ok, of course I ask this for a friend since I am a model citizen. ;)

I came here some 7 years ago and started working in a company without working permit. I signed a contract at that time.

After a few years the wp and correct visa got arranged by the same company and I have been working happily.

Now I am looking to change my job but, I am worried things may get nasty since I've seen people leaving from this company before.

If I leave and breach the first signed contract, can he legally sue me or do we both get busted since it is proof that we were in the wrong that time?

Or is it best I let the old contract "disappear" and gently shrug my shoulders when he asks me about it?

Again, I do not want to have a problem at all and want to leave in a correct manner but the past tells me things are not always smooth as they come.

Thanks for your input all

Normally the contract is only effective subject to a WP being obtained. In your contract doesn't it mention anything about notice period or the like? If the WP is due for renewal then I wouldn't think it you told them you wouldn't be staying there would be little they could do about it.

Having said that I have no idea what is in your contract

You can probably be held to the contract as it has been 7 years and both parties worked under the terms for so long and 'consideration' (money and work) has been passed between both parties per the contract. Having said that, a good Thai lawyer can probably get it invalidated but it would probably be expensive and long. Best to arrive at an mutually agreeable end that's acceptable to both parties.