UK: Hate crime policing to be reviewed after spike in reports

webfact

Hate crime policing to be reviewed after spike in reports

LONDON: -- Police handling of hate crime is to be reviewed after a sharp rise in incidents following the EU referendum, the home secretary is to announce.

Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) will analyse how forces in England and Wales respond, Amber Rudd will say.

It comes after figures showed there have been more than 6,000 reports of hate crime to police since mid June.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36890398

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-07-26

Another sad result of Brexit.

Europe is going to hell in a hand basket and we still have people like you saying 'another sad result of Brexit'. There are NO sad results of Brexit, it could not come at a better time. The only issue I have is PM May taking her time to action the process. The UK needs to leave today, not in 2017.

Instead of pontificating and putting millions into funds to establish think tanks, the Government needs to start a campaign of education. In particular the animosity towards the Polish needs to be stopped. They are amongst the hardest working most trustworthy immigrants in the UK and they have earned their place with us. There were huge numbers of Polish forces fought with us in WW2. The source of this problem is not Brexit.

"Non-white people being told to leave the country".

This is a hate crime?

Yes it is.

It was rhetorical.

Perhaps I should have askeshould it be considered a hate crime?

My persoanl opinion is that it should not.

There is no indication of hate in that statement.

Europe is going to hell in a hand basket and we still have people like you saying 'another sad result of Brexit'. There are NO sad results of Brexit, it could not come at a better time. The only issue I have is PM May taking her time to action the process. The UK needs to leave today, not in 2017.

Instead of pontificating and putting millions into funds to establish think tanks, the Government needs to start a campaign of education. In particular the animosity towards the Polish needs to be stopped. They are amongst the hardest working most trustworthy immigrants in the UK and they have earned their place with us. There were huge numbers of Polish forces fought with us in WW2. The source of this problem is not Brexit.

Can we add people from all nations that fought with Britain to defeat the Nazis in WWII?

African's, Arabs and people from the wider middle east, people from the Indian subcontinent (now India and Pakistan), people from Malaya, Burma, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Canadians and let's not forget volunteers to the British forces from the Republic of Ireland.

The virtues of the Poles is somewhat skewed by the fact that despite their being stalwart allies in a war that few remember and plumbers par excellence, their country is the biggest single EU recipient of repatriated British social benefits. This prevails while it is also the net largest recipient of EU aid versus their paltry contributions to the EU. The UK Government would have to really find out why the latter, much more salient imbalance exists before they can espouse the gallantry or tradesman skills of their forebears as part of some greater educational discourse on who your neighbors really are.

The UK has made a start by exiting the EU. Once that is done and dusted, then the true friends and contributors too the UK will be as welcome as they ever were.

The virtues of the Poles is somewhat skewed by the fact that despite their being stalwart allies in a war that few remember and plumbers par excellence, their country is the biggest single EU recipient of repatriated British social benefits. This prevails while it is also the net largest recipient of EU aid versus their paltry contributions to the EU. The UK Government would have to really find out why the latter, much more salient imbalance exists before they can espouse the gallantry or tradesman skills of their forebears as part of some greater educational discourse on who your neighbors really are.

The UK has made a start by exiting the EU. Once that is done and dusted, then the true friends and contributors too the UK will be as welcome as they ever were.

Meanwhile Britain has not exited the EU.

And I strongly suspect the 'educational discourse' going on is can you really replace well educated and hard working Polish workers with 'entitled' British workers?

Farage seemed to think it possible with his suggestion during the Brexit campaign that the UK could, post Brexit, remove laws against discriminating against hiring workers based on their nationality - but of course that poses a question, with the laws of discrimination removed who would the employer really give the job to?

I think we know who would lose out.

Can we add people from all nations that fought with Britain to defeat the Nazis in WWII?

African's, Arabs and people from the wider middle east, people from the Indian subcontinent (now India and Pakistan), people from Malaya, Burma, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Canadians and let's not forget volunteers to the British forces from the Republic of Ireland.

Before you leap in with both feet, why don't you take a moment to read the news article referred to in the OP. Signs saying - "No more Polish Vermin" . I did not read in the article anywhere it said there were signs saying "no more New Zealand vermin". For Gods sake why don't you engage brain before keyboard.

Before you leap in with both feet, why don't you take a moment to read the news article referred to in the OP. Signs saying - "No more Polish Vermin" . I did not read in the article anywhere it said there were signs saying "no more New Zealand vermin". For Gods sake why don't you engage brain before keyboard.

Calm down, drink less coffee.

Sometimes your expectations are just too high! biggrin.png

+1

The unwelcome extremists must be allowed to use Brexit as a tool for their hatred and xenophobia.

Properly controlled immigration brings a rich tapestry to British culture.

The benefits system needs a serious overhaul - but that is separate (but related) issue.

From what I remember from my school lessons, Britian declared war on Germany when Germany invaded Poland as we had an treaty with Poland to defend each other, so to say we should be thankful to the polish for fighting at our side is a bit rich.

The poles are not the problem like other nationalities coming to the UK to live, it's the shear volume of migrants overwhelming our lifestyle and culture. IMO

And I strongly suspect the 'educational discourse' going on is can you really replace well educated and hard working Polish workers with 'entitled' British workers?

Farage seemed to think it possible with his suggestion during the Brexit campaign that the UK could, post Brexit, remove laws against discriminating against hiring workers based on their nationality - but of course that poses a question, with the laws of discrimination removed who would the employer really give the job to?

Yes, but Britain will exit the EU.

The 'well educated' Poles that fixed the broken boiler have been and always will be welcome; they just need to invest in the UK like they used to do and not send their all benefits back home like the EU allowed them to do.

As for the generation of British kids from a largely flawed educational system that 'entitles' even the dumbest to a Uni-grade education, that's the sort of stuff that can be sorted out in an independent Britain without the faux guidance, restrictions and distractions of the EU. What was the most common complaint from the under 25's that wanted so much to Remain and felt cheated by the older Brexiteer? That they were looking forward to going to work in Europe, not down the street or in another area of Britain. Now that easy-pass will be taken away, there's nothing at all wrong with getting a haircut and getting a real job... like a plumber.

The whole raison d'être for UKIP and Farage is gone. No point in bringing them into this. What he has walked away from is unsustainable and will be ultimately inconsequential.

Why does it have to be written that there are specific winners and losers in all this? Didn't work for the Remain camp did it? It's not going to work for the SNP either.

People like me think the idea of the UK leaving the EU is not only sad, but disastrous. Obviously I wouldn't expect Brexiters to agree. I'm clinging on to the hope that when the full ramifications are realised a new deal can be negotiated that allows us to remain in the EU.

People like me think the idea of the UK leaving the EU is not only sad, but disastrous. Obviously I wouldn't expect Brexiters to agree. I'm clinging on to the hope that when the full ramifications are realised a new deal can be negotiated that allows us to remain in the EU.

A new poll by the Express gives 98% for a hurry up out, ok express is pro leave but 98% is still more than I would have thought, looks like some of the remainers now want out asap too.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/693193/NO-EU-deal-talks-Brussels-quit-NOW-new-poll-readers

A new poll by the Express gives 98% for a hurry up out, ok express is pro leave but 98% is still more than I would have thought, looks like some of the remainers now want out asap too.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/693193/NO-EU-deal-talks-Brussels-quit-NOW-new-poll-readers

Let's see how it looks in 2 years when the UK economy has completely sunk.

Sad? Getting out is the only way to avoid the disaster that is the EU! You must be part of the Klingon Empire! Scotty, ready with110% power. Aye Captun Cork!

Unless you didn't issue a VISA and work permit to any foreigner where a local could do the job.

Same as Thailand.

Edited by MissAndry

This was an inevitable consequence but I suggest that it would have been worse had the result of the referendum gone the other way. Imagine the reaction of a small minority of 'Brexiteers' who felt that they had been disenfranchised...

We could well be sat here discussing the same headline, after reports of race riots in the streets & even a spike in race related murders.

Therefore I think it's a bit silly for the 'Bremainers' to use this one in order to shoehorn the dummy out of their mouth... whistling.gif

A no doubt stupid question that will invite a no doubt intelligent response, but just what does Brexit have to do with it, especially just weeks after the result?

As some of the hate crimes have involved Poles being told that they have to leave due to the referendum result with added intimidation and violent threats, I'd say it has everything to do with the jingoistic, nationalistic and xenophobic atmosphere created by the Brexit crew.

Unless you didn't issue a VISA and work permit to any foreigner where a local could do the job.

Same as Thailand.

Finding a local willing to do the job is hard enough, now you want to restrict jobs to only those locals 'can do' (while of course you omit the fact that in Thailand, like in the UK, there are hundreds of thousands of foreigners working in jobs that the locals simply will not do).

What I really hate is all the innocent people being shot, stabbed, heads lopped off, and blown to bits by nice well-meaning ME immigrants.

We should try to understand them, offer them jobs, bring them into our neighborhoods, offer them love and compassion.

That seems to have worked well for Europe so far.

Let's see how it looks in 2 years when the UK economy has completely sunk.

In two years the european if not global economy will have sunk. Better out than in, at least the UK will manage it's own slump instead of lots of others. We are now a small sailing boat at sea that may capsize but you can leap out and right it up again if you know how and have the skill. The EU is the titanic and when that small hole appears it will fill with water and bailing out will not work (pun intended tongue.png ) and it will sink with no recovery. Just watch!