cutting down more trees in jomtien

Asiantravel

as I rode my bicycle along the northern part of Jomtien Beach this morning(near the entrance to the water park) I couldn't believe they were there in full force cutting down even more beautiful trees . It was a lovely area before they destroyed it and not only has the shade been lost but it's also affected the appearance quite drastically.

why do they keep doing this?

post-149848-0-76862900-1469527574_thumb.

post-149848-0-28638100-1469527599_thumb.

post-149848-0-63781500-1469527621_thumb.

Because they are thick, and couldn't give a toss about anyone's thoughts, the environment, beauty, their country, or livelihood, as long as the money keeps coming in today!

Edited by Rimmer

Because they are thick, and couldn't give a toss about anyone's thoughts, the environment, beauty, their country, or livelihood, as long as the money keeps coming in today!

Yes good example of, yes, you guessed it, Money Number One.

it explains so much, if you take it on board. wai2.gif

Amazing Thailand.

Rarely seen a country going so backwards in so many respects in such a short period of time. Look at PhiPhi 15 years ago and now, totally destroyed. Goes for most of the islands. Sea is devoid of sea life & a garbage dump. Cities are neglected and even main roads lined with garbage, not even talking about smaller Sois..... Horrible. Still good and cheap enough for quality tourists from China & India )& old men desparate for "love" 555555555555555.......), which are used to even bigger dumps & worse pollution. Good night. >MS

Rarely seen a country going so backwards in so many respects in such a short period of time. Look at PhiPhi 15 years ago and now, totally destroyed. Goes for most of the islands. Sea is devoid of sea life & a garbage dump. Cities are neglected and even main roads lined with garbage, not even talking about smaller Sois..... Horrible. Still good and cheap enough for quality tourists from China & India )& old men desparate for "love" 555555555555555.......), which are used to even bigger dumps & worse pollution. Good night. >MS

Currently staying in my "Home Country", but always in contact with the local Thai-Community. The Thai's that have been staying here for any length of time, seem to have very little desire to return to their home country. Why? To the best of my Thai/English/German translations skills: "Why would I live among "Morons", if I can live here instead." = Among others, the "tree cutting syndrome" etc etc etc etc etc etc..............

But as long as "Tourists" flock in and find it all quite "cheap", the merry go round will not stop. If, at some time in the future the "cheap" is taken out of the equation, the "merry go round" will stop in it's tracks.

Cheers.

Maybe so they can replace the large shade trees with small palms, somebody with the right connections must have a palm tree farm and is making a mint out of Jomtien Beach at the moment.

I had a feeling this was the next area to be "cleansed" saw them surveying it a few months ago, no doubt they will replace these with the same ones as along Jomtien beach

Could it be that 'someone' went on holiday to the 'Med' area and saw the beach fronts that are wide, clean and have nicely spaced trees along them etc and decided it was a good idea to copy it. Of course completely ignoring the fact that you don't need the shade there that you do in Thailand.

i really enjoy living in jomtien however i am very disappointed with the removal of the nice shade trees and the replanting with the non shade giving palm trees. was it just because of having to clean up the leaves or were they deliberately going for the more sterile look?

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

If you want a glimpse of infinity, just look at the stupidity of planners here. No limits. I (foolishly) hoped maybe they'd finished with the butchery. Fat chance. As long as a method for getting brown envelopes can be found, this sort of crap will continue.

I enjoyed my Trip to Nong Nooch. I will never go there again, nor will I suggest tourists go there. They are contractors of this desecration. Perhaps besides usual "perks" of contracts, this is a way to make their attraction seemingly more attractive. But like mama said "You don't make self taller by cutting off others heads".

It's very strange. I'm sitting here doing my usual keyboard warrior stuff- I look outside and am surrounded by green- bamboos, frangipani , those flat palms , things in pots , orchids etc etc. I sit outside early mornings with a mug of coffee and just enjoy all the birds that potter around- it's gorgeous- and in Jomtien.

My view is that many Thai people ( not all) simply do not look at their environment and think - wow that is a beautiful tree( maybe the thought process is I can chop it down and make some charcoal ) .

The concept of a garden or landscape is alien .

We had a huge area next to the village- loads of trees, birds, wildlife. Completely gone- turned into a vast waste dump. Even after the recent rain- nothing grows in acres and acres of toxic ground ( usually things green up very quickly here)

Thailand is destroying the environment - waste management does not seem to exist.

I love this country- it is my home now. However the one thing that would make me leave is the total disregard for the environment

Rant over!

The new Pattaya beach planners have a major hard-on for Palm trees and only Palm trees...

Up until the year 2013 the beach planners were pretty respectful of the trees,,,

If the Pattaya area had a few nice parks maybe I could cut them some slack but Pattaya has

zero-zilch-nada parks....

O-yea there was one park but the mayor turned it into ugly-ass useless parking garage.....

Maybe the Minister of Tourism could look into this & while you are at it Mam, take a look at the absolute lack of any sewerage treatment

in Bangkok, Pattaya nor Jomtien but still bring in more busloads that add to the problem.

If you want a glimpse of infinity, just look at the stupidity of planners here. No limits. I (foolishly) hoped maybe they'd finished with the butchery. Fat chance. As long as a method for getting brown envelopes can be found, this sort of crap will continue.

I enjoyed my Trip to Nong Nooch. I will never go there again, nor will I suggest tourists go there. They are contractors of this desecration. Perhaps besides usual "perks" of contracts, this is a way to make their attraction seemingly more attractive. But like mama said "You don't make self taller by cutting off others heads".

Looking closely at the ones planted on the prom, some are very mature palms, they must cost tens of thousand of Baht EACH

The new Pattaya beach planners have a major hard-on for Palm trees and only Palm trees...

Up until the year 2013 the beach planners were pretty respectful of the trees,,,

If the Pattaya area had a few nice parks maybe I could cut them some slack but Pattaya has

O-yea there was one park but the mayor turned it into ugly-ass useless parking garage.....

The area they are destroying, just north of the Water Park, was the last remaining spot w/ 4-5 rows of old-growth shade trees (the Asian Almond trees). It is very sad to watch them engage in so much mindless destruction of nature, while making the place people unfriendly. Both beach fronts have now been ruined. As an aside, the tree slaughter started around 2002-2003, but most people do not remember it. I only know that in the mid 80s Jomtien Beach had 4-5 rows of old-growth shade trees (Asian Almond tree and the Ironwood tree). It was stunningly beautiful; a very special green space in Asia. Pattaya Beach also had lots of old growth shade trees. Now? Both beaches are looking like a desert. Virtually no place to relax/exercise in the shade anymore. All of the comfortable, people friendly sitting areas are gone. It is comical and sad to watch 50 Chinese tourists all huddled beneath one of the remaining shade trees on Pattaya Beach, waiting to get on a boat to get ripped off on the islands offshore. This entire project has been an engineering and environmental disaster. It is a crime against present and future generations. I am surprised that no high-level government official in Bangkok has stepped in to put a stop to the madness.

beach? There is no beach in Pattaya. To me a beach has clean well maintained sandy shores and clean water. If Pattaya would clean up the water they might even make money as some planners or developers think

good money for the contractor, and we know who it is, I suspect a small protest at the next Chelsea Flower Show would go a long way to changing the fate of Pattayas trees

I have contacted the Chelsea Flower show to let them know the damage one of their competition winners is doing to the local environment. I hope others do the same.