Clinton wins sufficient number of delegates for nomination

webfact

Clinton wins sufficient number of delegates for nomination
By JULIE PACE and CATHERINE LUCEY

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Breaking a historic barrier, Democrats triumphantly chose Hillary Clinton as their White House nominee Tuesday night, the first woman to ever lead a major political party into the general election.

Delegates erupted in cheers throughout the roll call of states on the floor of the Democratic convention. It was a jubilant start to a night that was to include former President Bill Clinton taking the convention stage to deliver a personal validation for his wife.

The roll call was one more opportunity for Sanders supporters to voice their fierce loyalty to the Vermont senator. Sanders sat in the arena soaking in the cheers and waving to the crowd.

But the convention belonged to Clinton, who will take on Republican Donald Trump in November.

Her landmark achievement saturated the roll call with emotion and symbols of women's long struggle to break through political barriers. A 102-year-old woman, born before women had the right to vote, cast the ballots for Arizona.

Martha McKenna, a Clinton delegate from Maryland, said the night felt like a celebration for Sanders' campaign as well as Clinton's. But the mother of two young girls said she was most excited to see Clinton officially named.

"The idea that I'm going to be here when the first woman president is nominated is overwhelming," she said.

Clinton's campaign hoped the night of achievement, personal stories and praise could chip away at the deep distrust many voters, including some Democrats, have of the former secretary of state, senator and first lady. Much of the convention's second night was being devoted to introducing voters to Clinton anew, including three hours of speakers highlighting issues she has championed for years, including health care and advocacy for children and families.

"Tonight we will make history, about 100 years in the making," said Karen Finney, a senior adviser for Clinton's campaign. "What we're really going to focus on tonight is telling that story, and telling her story, talking about the fights of her life."

The stories were being told by a long list of lawmakers, celebrities and advocates. Among those pledging support for Clinton were the "mothers of the movement" — several black women whose children were victims of gun violence. Clinton has met privately with the mothers and held events with them, and they've become an emotional force for her campaign.

Clinton aides believe a focus on policy is another way to rally Sanders' supporters, especially those who threatened to stay home or vote for Republican Trump. While the opening night was interrupted by boos and chants of "Bernie," there were fewer signs of discord Tuesday.

Sanders had implored his supporters to not protest during the convention. Still, several hundred people gathered at Philadelphia's City Hall under a blazing sun Tuesday chanting "Bernie or bust."

Trump cheered the disruptions from the campaign trail. In North Carolina, he told a convention of the Veterans of Foreign Wars that, "our politicians have totally failed you."

When Trump mentioned Clinton's name, the group answered with shouts of "Lock her up!" an echo of the chants at last week's Republican convention.

Trump has been a frequent target at the Democratic gathering, where several videos featured his comments about women and the disabled, and tried to discredit the real estate mogul's business record.

First lady Michelle Obama was a star of opening night, making an impassioned case for Clinton as the only candidate in the presidential race worthy of being a role model for the nation's children. President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden will speak Wednesday, along with Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine, Clinton's new running mate.

Bill Clinton had the spotlight Tuesday night. The former president has campaigned frequently for his wife during the White House race, but mostly in smaller cities and towns, part of an effort by the campaign to keep him in a more behind-the-scenes role.

During Hillary Clinton's first presidential campaign in 2008, her husband angered some Democrats with dismissive comments about Obama. He's had flashes of frustration this year, particularly when his own record on trade and law enforcement has been challenged by the party he once led, but has largely stuck to the campaign's messages.

The stakes for him are particularly high following his much-criticized decision to meet privately with Attorney General Loretta Lynch in the middle of the FBI's investigation into his wife's email use at the State Department.

The roll call this year, when each state announced its delegate totals from the primary season, affirmed a nomination Clinton locked up weeks ago.

___

AP writers Kathleen Hennessey, Kathleen Ronayne, Ken Thomas and Matthew Daly in Philadelphia contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-07-27

I wish my countrymen well in the upcoming election. Unfortunately, I do not think I will wager a bet on the outcome. There are many frustrated, angry American citizens, especially in the "middle working class" who have experienced being squeezed by the wealth gap (not limited to the US). For me, a bottle of wine on election night. I cannot, with clear conscience vote for either of these seriously flawed political party candidates. I will cast my votes for the other political party candidates but coming from a conservative state which sent the likes of McConnell and Paul to the Senate, well, an overall exercise in futility.

There is only one candidate for President. The fact that she's a strong woman scares the poop out of the wingnuts.

The best argument against Trump are the people who defend him. Trump supporters are extreme, dim and intolerant. Trump isn't a serious candidate. He’s the Republican candidate for President.

Odds are highly stacked against this banal lady.

Even borderline democrats are crying......

She has not paid for her heinous violations of integrity, and has lost the support of intelligent democrats. Now, only the dim witted ones respect her.....and that is precious few.

Numbers now demonstrate she is on a downhill slide.

post-163145-0-72066700-1469587383_thumb.

Edited by slipperylobster

Clinton wins historic nomination, emotional boost from Bill
JULIE PACE, Associated Press
CATHERINE LUCEY, Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Taking on the role of devoted political spouse, former President Bill Clinton declared his wife Hillary Clinton an impassioned "change-maker," serving as character witness for her on the night she triumphantly became the first woman nominated for president.

"She's been worth every single year she's put into making people's lives better," he said of his partner of more than 40 years and the Democratic Party's new standard-bearer in the race for the White House.

For a man more accustomed to delivering policy-packed stem-winders, Clinton's deeply personal address underscored the historic night for Democrats, and the nation. If she wins in November, the Clintons would also be the first married couple to each serve as president.

She will take on Donald Trump, who won the Republican nomination a week ago. Trump, who campaigned Tuesday in North Carolina, mocked the former president's speech in advance, calling him "over-rated."

Referring to Trump, though not by name, Clinton said there are real and affordable solutions to problems facing the nation but "we won't get to them if America makes the wrong choice."

The former president traced his relationship with his wife back more than 40 years, recalling in great detail the first time he spotted her on campus and the impact she had on pushing him into politics.

"Hillary opened my eyes to a whole new world of public service by private citizens," he said, addressing a convention hall packed to the rafters with delegates listening raptly.

He closed the second night of the Democratic convention, a jubilant celebration of Hillary Clinton's formal nomination for president. In an important move for party unity, her primary rival Bernie Sanders helped make it official when the roll call got to his home state of Vermont, prompting delegates to erupt in cheers. It was a striking parallel to the role Clinton played eight years ago when she stepped to the microphone on the convention floor in Denver in support of her former rival, Barack Obama.

This time, Clinton shattered the glass ceiling she couldn't crack in 2008.

She leads a party still grappling with divisions. Moments after Clinton claimed the nomination, a group of Sanders supporters left the convention and headed to a media tent to protest what they said was their being shut out of the party. At the same time, protesters who had spent the day marching in the hot sun began facing off with police.

Trump cheered the disruptions from the campaign trail. In North Carolina, he told a convention of the Veterans of Foreign Wars that, "our politicians have totally failed you."

Indeed, Clinton's long political resume — secretary of state, senator, first lady — has sometimes seemed an odd fit for an electorate deeply frustrated with Washington and eager to rally around unconventional candidates like Trump and Sanders. Many voters have questions about her character and trustworthiness, suggesting her years in power give her the impression she can play by different rules.

President Clinton spoke after three hours of testimonials from lawmakers, advocates, celebrities and citizens who argued otherwise. Each took the stage to vouch for Clinton's commitment to working on health care, children's issues and gun control.

"Hillary Clinton has the passion and understanding to support grieving mothers," said Sybrina Fulton, whose son Trayvon Martin was killed in 2012. "She has the courage to lead the fight for commonsense gun legislation."

The significant time devoted to the character testimonials underscored the campaign's concerns about how voters view Clinton. Public polls consistently show that a majority of Americans don't believe she is honest and trustworthy. That perception that was reinforced after the FBI director's scathing assessment of her controversial email use as secretary of state, even though the Justice Department did not pursue charges.

President Clinton complicated the email controversy last month when he met privately with Attorney General Loretta Lynch in the midst of the FBI investigation. Republicans cast the meeting as a sign that the Clintons play by different rules, while Democrats bemoaned that at the very least, it left that impression.

The former president has campaigned frequently for his wife during the White House race, but mostly in smaller cities and towns, part of an effort by the campaign to keep him in a more behind-the-scenes role. His convention address was his highest profile appearance of the campaign.

Clinton's landmark achievement saturated the roll call with emotion and symbols of women's long struggle to break through political barriers. Jerry Emmett, a 102-year-old woman born before women had the right to vote, cast the ballots for Arizona.

Martha McKenna, a Clinton delegate from Maryland, said the night felt like a celebration for Sanders' campaign as well as Clinton's. She added, "The idea that I'm going to be here when the first woman president is nominated is overwhelming."

The Democratic convention drew the party's biggest stars to sweltering Philadelphia for the week-long event. On Monday night, first lady Michelle Obama made an impassioned case for Clinton as the only candidate in the presidential race worthy of being a role model for the nation's children. President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden will speak Wednesday, along with Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine, Clinton's new running mate.

___

AP writers Kathleen Hennessey, Kathleen Ronayne, Ken Thomas and Matthew Daly in Philadelphia contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-07-27

After watching and hearing Michelle Obama's speech my idea was:

this should be the next President of the USA after Clinton.

She has all what what the egomaniac and bullethead Trump doesn't has:

intelligence (the right-wings think: having money = intelligent cheesy.gifcheesy.gif) , control about herself, experience in politics, no bold behavior, (no big belly as Trump!), a controlled language you need for the presidential job, not breeding disunion, reliable, not changing her mind within a few days, if it seems opportunistic etc., etc.

This Reps bite on Hillary's e-mail affair, because there are no other more important "affairs". And concerning Michelle's weak points the Reps will bite in the air or in their own but.

It will be interesting to see the TV fights between Hillary and Trump. If not informed about the questions of the journalists in advance about the content there will be only one winner: HILLARY. Good luck. The Western world doesn't like this symbol of hate, Trump, to be a US president.

Edited by puck2

Remember that hectoring shrew you had for a teacher in fifth grade, the one that slapped you with a ruler every time you asked her why what she said was true? The one who was psychotic because here philandering husband was back at the the local tavern boozing it up with any woman who walked through the door. Well, the Democrats just nominated her as their presidential candidate.

Remember that hectoring shrew you had for a teacher in fifth grade, the one that slapped you with a ruler every time you asked her why what she said was true? The one who was psychotic because here philandering husband was back at the the local tavern boozing it up with any woman who walked through the door. Well, the Democrats just nominated her as their presidential candidate.

The only personally-likable Presidents I can remember in my lifetime are Reagan, Carter, and Ford. Every other one has been an egotistical, plotting, conniving, cunning person (though some were highly charistmatic like Bill Clinton and JFK).

Both these candidates are highly distasteful personally.

Difficult decision for the American voters.
Clinton or Trump
The nomination of these two candidates is regrettable.
The whole campaign noise and media hype make it impossible that calm, rational, smart people can come forward.
More show than content, the whole.

When I think of who can better stop the islamic imperialism, it would be Trump.
When I think of who better has the codes for the nuclear weapons, it would be Clinton.

From a peaceful planet who can solve its problems, we are very far away.

Difficult decision for the American voters.

Clinton or Trump

The nomination of these two candidates is regrettable.

The whole campaign noise and media hype make it impossible that calm, rational, smart people can come forward.

More show than content, the whole.

When I think of who can better stop the islamic imperialism, it would be Trump.

When I think of who better has the codes for the nuclear weapons, it would be Clinton.

From a peaceful planet who can solve its problems, we are very far away.

Don't worry about the nuke codes. It's not like any Prez can just wake up reach over to the nightstand and press THE button thinking it's the snooze button...or on purpose for that matter.. That's a stale old talking point used to gin up fear

Edited by NovaBlue05

After watching and hearing Michelle Obama's speech my idea was:

this should be the next President of the USA after Clinton.

She has all what what the egomaniac and bullethead Trump doesn't has:

intelligence (the right-wings think: having money = intelligent cheesy.gif:cheesy:) , control about herself, experience in politics, no bold behavior, (no big belly as Trump!), a controlled language you need for the presidential job, not breeding disunion, reliable, not changing her mind within a few days, if it seems opportunistic etc., etc.

This Reps bite on Hillary's e-mail affair, because there are no other more important "affairs". And concerning Michelle's weak points the Reps will bite in the air or in their own but.

It will be interesting to see the TV fights between Hillary and Trump. If not informed about the questions of the journalists in advance about the content there will be only one winner: HILLARY. Good luck. The Western world doesn't like this symbol of hate, Trump, to be a US president.

Watch this and cry. The US have lost its way and that is reflected in your choice of presidential candidates. Trump is a smart liar and Clinton is a greedy crook. You choose !!

https://youtu.be/7LYRUOd_QoM

I get angry and confused with Bill Clinton. 9/11 was HIS fault. During his Presidency he cut back on the CIA and homeland security defence organisations so badly it allowed it to happen. Even with a HUGE red flag with the first WTC attacks by OBM.

9/11 onwards was on Bush's watch, but, if Clinton hadn't been such a spineless reptile it wouldn't have happened.

Why is this never brought up by the Media?

Edit = Bush was in the Whitehouse 5 minutes, so in no way can he be held responsible for it.

Edited by Franky Bear

Nothing but a nice bonus to have some variety in gender or what else not. Nothing more dull then the same old same old. But most importantly is a candidates policy and if they kept their word in the past (past actions). Now as a non-Anerican the republican party is off scale nuts (too liberal conservative). The democrats are overall still too liberal but a bit more progressive, so a less worse option then the republicans. Some candidates are okay such as Sanders and in the past Kuchinich. In the past elections I was not rooting for Hillary or Obama, as I said, too liberal, not sufficiently social-progressive. I'd be much happier with say the Greenparty. These elections are between a very bad choice and even worse choice.

I get angry and confused with Bill Clinton. 9/11 was HIS fault. During his Presidency he cut back on the CIA and homeland security defence organisations so badly it allowed it to happen. Even with a HUGE red flag with the first WTC attacks by OBM.

9/11 onwards was on Bush's watch, but, if Clinton hadn't been such a spineless reptile it wouldn't have happened.

Edit = Bush was in the Whitehouse 5 minutes, so in no way can he be held responsible for it.

At this point, leave 9/11 be.

Although I would point out that on 9/12, Al Gore was pretty damned glad that hanging chad fell the other guys way

At this point, leave 9/11 be.

Although I would point out that on 9/12, Al Gore was pretty damned glad that hanging chad fell the other guys way

Fair enough mate.

For the record i think Trump is a disaster too. America has a real big problem with either of these two bags of crap.

There is only one candidate for President. The fact that she's a strong woman scares the poop out of the wingnuts.

The best argument against Trump are the people who defend him. Trump supporters are extreme, dim and intolerant. Trump isn't a serious candidate. He’s the Republican candidate for President.

There isn't enough bandwidth in the universe to detail all the ways liberals are intolerant...and they will be voting for Hillary, who by any other name would be sitting in federal prison.

I like the way the thread title uses the word "sufficient number" as if she just squeaked out a victory. If not for Super Delegates and the DNC rigging the system, Bernie would have won. But 2008 taught Hillary not to leave things to chance.

As the American people and other around the world are subjected to weekly corruption scandals coming from Hillary and the Democrats, they should ask themselves, "where are all the Republican corruption scandals?". Sure, they are far from perfect, pulling off what they did in Colorado giving Cruz the victory. But the list of Democrat Party corruption is long, and much of it involves their nominee for president.

There is some hope that even American Democrats almost needed to be tricked into voting for her, allowing her to barely beat a 70-something year old Socialist while getting less votes than she did in 2008.

There isn't enough bandwidth in the universe to detail all the ways liberals are intolerant...and they will be voting for Hillary, who by any other name would be sitting in federal prison.

I like the way the thread title uses the word "sufficient number" as if she just squeaked out a victory. If not for Super Delegates and the DNC rigging the system, Bernie would have won. But 2008 taught Hillary not to leave things to chance.

As the American people and other around the world are subjected to weekly corruption scandals coming from Hillary and the Democrats, they should ask themselves, "where are all the Republican corruption scandals?". Sure, they are far from perfect, pulling off what they did in Colorado giving Cruz the victory. But the list of Democrat Party corruption is long, and much of it involves their nominee for president.

There is some hope that even American Democrats almost needed to be tricked into voting for her, allowing her to barely beat a 70-something year old Socialist while getting less votes than she did in 2008.

The number of times I run into Pinut's insightful little pearls of wisdom in other posters quotes has become more rare, When I do, It reminds me of why the ignore feature really can help filter out chronically tedious and juvenile blathering. He's a rare bird indeed.

You do know what the '9' stands for in 9/11 right?

And you do know that Bush took charge in 1/11 right?

You're completely wrong on this one Franky.

It was all on his, Cheneys and that hag Rice's watch.

They made a mess of it, and frankly they made an even bigger mess using it as an excuse.

That's just garbage plain and simple. She won it fair and square any way you slice it. Delegates, superdelegates and votes.

Why Bernie is even tweeting that 3 million independents in New York weren't allowed to vote in the Democratic Party primary, as if it's any business of independents.

He appears to have got over his sore loser syndrome though thank heavens.

They made a mess of it, and frankly they made an even bigger mess using it as an excuse.

You do know that 11 is a day...not a year?

I would have also reminded that Bush took over in 1/01 but you seemed to be having so much fun

You are very very very wrong mate.

Look into it deeply. It's stunning what that man did in his Presidency.

Odds are highly stacked against this banal lady.

Even borderline democrats are crying......

She has not paid for her heinous violations of integrity, and has lost the support of intelligent democrats. Now, only the dim witted ones respect her.....and that is precious few.

Numbers now demonstrate she is on a downhill slide.

Polls are miniscule snapshots of time. Polls like government "facts" can be manipulated. I am sure a lefty can show you a directly opposite poll. Governments are manipulating everything today including us.

You are very very very wrong mate.

Look into it deeply. It's stunning what that man did in his Presidency.

Franky, that's why I suggested leaving 9/11 alone. Hardcore Democrats base everything on emotion and the outcome they desire....much like a child doesn't reason things...... they just know what they want.

It would be easier to try and teach a dog Spanish than to get them to view anything objectively.