Any use for the defunct CTH box?

Bangkok Barry

As I understand it, CTH will no longer be broadcasting via satellite after this month. That's okay. I stopped using them many months ago when they tried to extract a make-believe amount of back fees. and they refused to respond to emails. By the way, the Thai consumer office was equally useless after the problems were reported to them. I suppose CTH ignored them as well so that was the end of the investigation.

So is there any use now for their dish and box, except as decoration?

You can turn the dish to pick up the likes of True visions if its a KU band dish,you will I think need another set top box.

AFAIK you shouldn't actually need to turn it.

AFAIK CTH KU band is beamed off the Vinasat satellite @ 131.8E

I should have mentioned that I do already have a True dish & box. Kept them on with a basic Family package in anticipation of them getting the footy back and not having to go through a new sign-up and installation. Going to visit them in Kalasin tomorrow to see what they are offering. Just a footy olnly package mentioned elsewhere for 399 sounds too good to be true (no pun intended), so we'll see.

You can turn the dish to pick up the likes of True visions if its a KU band dish,you will I think need another set top box.

I've used True, GMM, and CTH all without repointing the Ku band dish.

If you go to lyngsat and check out the Vinasat 2 satellite @ 131.8E ( CTH ) and Thaicom 5 satellite @ 78.5E

( True visions) both on KU band the two satellites are pointing in different directions

If you go to lyngsat and check out the Vinasat 2 satellite @ 131.8E ( CTH ) and Thaicom 5 satellite @ 78.5E

( True visions) both on KU band the two satellites are pointing in different directions

I presume this accounts for it:

CTH on Thaicom 6 at 78.5°E

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/CTH-Ku_78E.html

I presume this accounts for it:

CTH on Thaicom 6 at 78.5°E

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/CTH-Ku_78E.html

It looks as if we are both right,CTH right from the start have been a Mickey Mouse company who have gone out of their way to confuse their customers and deserve to be going out of business.

AFAIK they started their service on the Vinasat satellite @ 131.8 E I'm not sure if they are still in business or they are still using this satellite.

Then they done some kind of a deal with GMM and beamed some channels off Thaicom 5/6@ 78.5 both the Vinasat and the GMM ventures were on the KU band.

So depending when you was unfortunate enough to subscribe to this miserable set up ,you're dish might or might not be pointing in the same direction to the Thaicom satellite

After the initial year of subscription to GMM-Z, i did try to pay for a renewal several times, but none of those mongoloids were able to understand any english at all, or the limited thai i could speak (for which i always managed to let any other company to understand what i was all about, just GMM-Z seems to have problems), i believe that's because they possibly tried to sell to me some stuff i didn't want, so we all ended up with nothing.

I then simply changed the frequencies inside that piece of absolute junk, and now use it to watch Asiasat for European channels, the only annoyance it's that every time they update the splash image on booting up (an advertisement), the channel's list get lost and you have to put them back where you like, there is no way to avoid this unless you have access to the internal firmware.

Another not so nice thing they did, it's that until few months ago, you could get both video and sound from a single wire, then they bloody changed something and now the only way to get the sound it's to add a second wire just for it.

All in all, don't throw it away, you can recycle it to watch some other stuff (french,english,russian,italian, portuguese,arab, chinese,thai channels and possibly even more).

I binned CTH last year. There was an 1800 Baht deposit on the box, which I returned via EMS. It took over 3 months to get 1800 Baht, after several phone calls, but got it eventually. I suspect your box may owe you 1800 Baht, unless you had a different deal when it was installed. Check it out!

I binned CTH last year. There was an 1800 Baht deposit on the box, which I returned via EMS. It took over 3 months to get 1800 Baht, after several phone calls, but got it eventually. I suspect your box may owe you 1800 Baht, unless you had a different deal when it was installed. Check it out!

They told me the 1800 baht wasn't paid, and even when I sent them a copy of the receipt they still cut me off for non-payment. I'd call and be reconnected until the next month. In the end I gave up and used ilikehd instead. Now their service is unreliable to.

They told me the 1800 baht wasn't paid, and even when I sent them a copy of the receipt they still cut me off for non-payment. I'd call and be reconnected until the next month. In the end I gave up and used ilikehd instead. Now their service is unreliable to.

Yes, I'm certain they owe you 1800 Baht. I had a hell of a time getting mine refunded. I wasn't much bothered about the 1800 Baht, but the rip-offs and scams in Thailand piss me off. I lost count of the phone calls I made to them. If CTH has taken a nose dive; well, "What goes round, comes round". Like most Thai businesses - Nobody seems to have any business sense. It's just one big rip-off.

24 minutes ago, harness said:

CTH have just announced that all services to ALL customers will end on Sept 1.

O K Two things

1) My wife has talked to CTH on phone in Udon Thani and they deny all knowledge ??????????? Is it just BKK?

2) I have had CTH in Udon Thani for nearly nine yrs and we have NO DISH Its supplied from a CABLE right to my TV set