Ex-govt officials jailed for helping Shinawatra siblings evade taxes

webfact

...tantamount to treason......

...once upon a time there was only one sentence for that......

...and as for seizing assets.....???

...Thailand was duped out of 16 Billion baht.....just in this one incident.....

I think you'll find staging 2 coups in 10 years by the same body of Generals far surpasses any Treasonous act by Thaksin and Co.

Coups are the ultimate act of treason, as is tearing up constitutions endorsed by His Majesty.

Just something to think about for you sycophants ;)

Well done! Now please have a close look at the finances of the junta. What? Not allowed?? If I were I cynic I might take that as a sign that they have something to hide, but of course that cant be true, can it??

Kinda the same as when the PTP was in power investigations like this were shot down. Its just how it is here (not good) the ones who are in power protect themselves. That is why I don't mind a coup once in a while otherwise PTP corruption would never be investigated. Now if only they would also go after the army when they are not in power that would make things a lot better.

Best thing would be of course that those in power would be investigated just like everyone else, but history here has shown that just does not work. Who is in power just ignores it all (look at the rice scam and how work bank and many international organisations and local Thai ones commented on it., and how the democrats were threatened with jail when they showed rotten rice). This is unfortunately how it works, now those who are not in power want those in power listen to international organisations they themselves ignored. cheesy.gif

I don't see it ever going well here as long as this is going on.

Yeah we do it much better in the West http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/05/politics/fbi-director-doesnt-recommend-charges-against-hillary-clinton/

Well done! Now please have a close look at the finances of the junta. What? Not allowed?? If I were I cynic I might take that as a sign that they have something to hide, but of course that cant be true, can it??

How can it be "Well done!" when the primary offenders have escaped prosecution?

If this is all above board and not a stitch up job then yeah "well done" it's a start. Now as I said if it's not a stitch up job why have the judicial system not gone after the Shinz kids for tax avoidance? They didn't have a problem going after their father did they?

If there is evidence enough to arrest charge and convict several officials that assisted in the (tax avoidance) then there must be evidence that the Shin kids were involved OR were they were just innocent victims of misplaced loyalty's by these people??? I think not.

I mean lets face it the judicial system here is beyond reproach and blind to position and power and justice for all...

I can't help feeling some sympathy for the jailed officials.

Yes corruption needs to be punished but they weren't exactly doing this to benefit themselves directly were they?

I would imagine it would have been very hard for them to say no at the time this happened given that the family asking them to do this were running the country.

If this is all above board and not a stitch up job then yeah "well done" it's a start. Now as I said if it's not a stitch up job why have the judicial system not gone after the Shinz kids for tax avoidance? They didn't have a problem going after their father did they?

If there is evidence enough to arrest charge and convict several officials that assisted in the (tax avoidance) then there must be evidence that the Shin kids were involved OR were they were just innocent victims of misplaced loyalty's by these people??? I think not.

I mean lets face it the judicial system here is beyond reproach and blind to position and power and justice for all...

How about this one.. statute of limitations. This might be different for those actual crime of tax evasion and corruption and other charges for these ex gov officials. This is a case from 2006 so this is quite possible.. and in my opinion a real shame as the the real criminals go free.

Surely not..

thaksin was voted in so he is behind reproach and accountability according to some.

Thank goodness the majority have moved in.

thaksin was voted in so he is behind reproach and accountability according to some.

While the Junta is accountable for what so far?

Majority? nope the majority elected the Shins, it is the minority who intervened, a rich, unaccountable minority and a Junta which granted themselves amnesty.

Please, you can despict the Shins, but for god sake open your eyes toward the Junta in charge here...it is far from a group of people dedicated to the majority of citizen : they work for the establishment, the old fashioned tycoons and...more...

Oh please get over "the majority elected the Shinawatra's". In the last election when Yingluck became PM they only managed to get 44% of the votes cast but a majority of the seats plus more from the party list quota.

It is more about demography than the number of votes cast.

quote "Please, you can despict the Shins, but for god sake open your eyes toward the Junta in charge here...it is far from a group of people dedicated to the majority of citizen :they work for the establishment, the old fashioned tycoons and...more..."

BTW who did the Shinawatra's work for?

Surely not..

Thank goodness the majority have moved on and see the damage this family has done.

Being voted in does not make you honest, but does make your government legitimate. Certain governments however fail on both counts, re being dishonest and illegitimate.

Majority? nope the majority elected the Shins, it is the minority who intervened, a rich, unaccountable minority and a Junta which granted themselves amnesty.

Please, you can despict the Shins, but for god sake open your eyes toward the Junta in charge here...it is far from a group of people dedicated to the majority of citizen : they work for the establishment, the old fashioned tycoons and...more...

When a party give money to elector to vote for it, it sure the party win but fraudulently. In real democratic country it's call cheat.

Without vote buying and populism program I'm not sure this party could win heart of poor people. when you how this party deceived and even more poorer farmers from north.

"When a party give money to elector to vote for it, it sure the party win but fraudulently. In real democratic country it's call cheat."

The "he bought the election" argument has bee refuted so many times it's getting ridiculous. I know you junta supporters don't have a lot of arguments to use to support the junta, but come on!

Boooooooooooring!

Refuted ?????

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/world/asia/25iht-thai.3.8469725.html?_r=0

From New York Times with love.....

From the article you linked:

"No one knows what the scale of vote buying will be in this election,...."

So, you quote an article that was written BEFORE the election and use that as proof that the election was bought???blink.png

My advice to you; wipe the egg off your face and lay low for a while.

Officials (in or going) to jail, Siblings not,is that justice

or will they claim like their father "an honest mistake"

regards worgeordie

The honest mistake of putting the money in question into the drivers, gardeners a housekeepers names, yep honest mistake - one that anyone normal person could make.

Surely not..

Thank goodness the majority have moved in.

Oh please get over "the majority elected the Shinawatra's". In the last election when Yingluck became PM they only managed to get 44% of the votes cast but a majority of the seats plus more from the party list quota.

It is more about demography than the number of votes cast.

quote "Please, you can despict the Shins, but for god sake open your eyes toward the Junta in charge here...it is far from a group of people dedicated to the majority of citizen :they work for the establishment, the old fashioned tycoons and...more..."

BTW who did the Shinawatra's work for?

Surely you know very well who the Shinawatra's worked for, why the goodness of the country of course - but then everyone is fully aware of this fact.

So, you quote an article that was written BEFORE the election and use that as proof that the election was bought???blink.png

In 7 posts in this thread, you have managed 2 words actually on the topic, and even they were far from accurate.

Do you actually believe prosecuting the enablers and not the principals is "well done"? Should Thaksin's children be prosecuted and the unpaid tax collected?

In 7 posts in this thread, you have managed 2 words actually on the topic, and even they were far from accurate.

Do you actually believe prosecuting the enablers and not the principals is "well done"? Should Thaksin's children be prosecuted and the unpaid tax collected?

"In 7 posts in this thread, you have managed 2 words actually on the topic, and even they were far from accurate."

Really? Do tell!

"Do you actually believe prosecuting the enablers and not the principals is "well done"?"

(with) tongue in cheek
phrase of tongue
  1. 1.
    without really meaning what one is saying or writing.

"Should Thaksin's children be prosecuted and the unpaid tax collected?"

Absolutely. I'm for all wrongdoers being punished, red, yellow and green.

"Do you actually believe prosecuting the enablers and not the principals is "well done"?"

Actually I believe both should be prosecuted, but it might be more serious for the enablers. Just imagine someone in function abusing that function and trust to help someone (and get rewarded for it). In my country if a judge or police officer or tax officer get caught up in these kind of things they often get more punishment as the principals.

I still think there is a statute of limitations that prevents them from going after the principals but abuse of power ect might have a longer term.

Actually I believe both should be prosecuted, but it might be more serious for the enablers. Just imagine someone in function abusing that function and trust to help someone (and get rewarded for it). In my country if a judge or police officer or tax officer get caught up in these kind of things they often get more punishment as the principals.

I still think there is a statute of limitations that prevents them from going after the principals but abuse of power ect might have a longer term.

Are you quoting me or halloween?

"In 7 posts in this thread, you have managed 2 words actually on the topic, and even they were far from accurate."

Really? Do tell!

(with) tongue in cheek
phrase of tongue
  1. 1.

Oh right. Whose?

Really? Do tell!

(with) tongue in cheek
phrase of tongue
  1. 1.

Oh right. Whose?

Whose what??

Surely not..

Thank goodness the majority have moved on and see the damage this family has done.

If the majority has "moved on" the junta would have known, and they would have held elections to legitimize their illegal rule.

Even you djjamie, should realize this.

PS. Since the junta are scared sh!tless of elections we have no way to know which party gets the most support, so my question is:

How do you know the "majority has moved on"??

PPS. PLEEEEASE don't say you have seen the results of a junta arranged poll!

Some, like you, just can't move on. The current government are not illegal. You might might not like it, but that's an irrelevance.

Because the elite, the hiso elite political class, never go after one another except in very rare exceptional circumstances.

The minions below are fair game though.

How could the Shin kids not know what's going on? Even you can't be that naive, can you.............?

Because the elite, the hiso elite political class, never go after one another except in very rare exceptional circumstances.

The minions below are fair game though.

How could the Shin kids not know what's going on? Even you can't be that naive, can you.............?

Yes corruption needs to be punished but they weren't exactly doing this to benefit themselves directly were they?

I would imagine it would have been very hard for them to say no at the time this happened given that the family asking them to do this were running the country.

Do you honestly think they didn't get a 'reward'?

Surely not..

If the majority has "moved on" the junta would have known, and they would have held elections to legitimize their illegal rule.

PS. Since the junta are scared sh!tless of elections we have no way to know which party gets the most support, so my question is:

Some, like you, just can't move on. The current government are not illegal. You might might not like it, but that's an irrelevance.

And the winner of the most hypocritical post of the thread is.........well done, shame you can't practice what you preach !!

Do you honestly think they didn't get a 'reward'?

No doubt they got something and 3 years is not so long when you compare to the sentences for the Chairman and President of Krungthai Bank in the loans to Krisada Mahanakorn -18 years.

How now they must regret having served as Thaksin's minions then, but then of course he seemed unbeatable, and out on bail compared to Wirot etc in the jail, they must still have hope they can avoid the cells, either through appeals, a change of government.or exile.

In the meantime the instigator of all these economic crimes sits in the desert,in Dubai, pining and whining as the years go by and on every birthday for his homeland but still free,unapologetic for the lives he's ruined.in Thailand.

Surely not..

An unelected junta that overthrows an elected (caretaker) government and suspends basic human rights is illegal. There's no moving on from that fact.