Somkid: Government has done more for the poor than its predecessors did in 5 years

webfact

Somkid: Government has done more for the poor than its predecessors did in 5 years

image-24-wpcf_728x410.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha administration has done more for the grassroot people than the previous governments did in five years, said Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak on Thursday.

“There is no need for me to appease the prime minister. And if you open your eyes – if you are not blind – you should know what the government has done. Everybody knew the farmers were in bad shape last year as the government dumped the rice pledging scheme because of rampant corruption. So we thought what should be done to help the grassroot people. And when we talk about grassroot people, farmers must come first,” said Dr Somkid.

He cited a programme through which the government had channeled several hundred billion baht through the village fund, the Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives and the Government Savings Bank to help the farmers.

He said the prime minister did not want farmers to become poorer and get less from their crops and, hence, the project to promote farmers to engage in SMEs.

Implementation of mega infrastructure projects is easier said than done, said Dr Somkid due to messy politics in the past which discouraged bureaucrats from taking initiatives. Some officials were investigated and others were taken to court and he himself faced two court cases, he added.

Implementation of each train project is not easy and the main obstacle is the public loss of confidence in government bureaucracy. The confidence rating is so low that everytime a project is to be launched someone will ask are there kickbacks, said the deputy prime minister.

Dr Somkid noted that several good things which have happened in this country have been overshadowed by apprehension over the referendum.

“Thailand is the best performer among exporting countries as far as exports are concerned. The stock market has registered the highest sale volumn and Jetro has given Thailand the highest confidence rating in history. But all these have been overshadowed by apprehension whether the draft charter will survive the referendum or not,” said the deputy prime minister.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/174159-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-29

" There's no need for me to appease the PM. "

Now why would someone feel it necessary to include that in his media release ?

Good to see LoS tops exporting counties, although hasn't there been reports recently to the contrary ?

The stock market is going through the roof and the confidence rating the highest in history. rolleyes.gif

Interesting to see the latest excuse if anything goes wrong is now the referendum not Brexit.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

If the "government" has done more, than the previously "elected" government, then I would have thought the list of achievements, for the "grassroot" people would have been more than one item, though the "channelled" money probably wasn't channelled to the right people. No-one, I know, is any better off.

Edited by Rorri

The fact these people suffer Thai-ness in the sense they believe we are less intelligent and easily fooled , might explain the bizarre propaganda in the face of reality and facts that contradict these claims.

They don't even believe it.

Certainly they know the Thai populace they have hostage don't.

Elections would ( if they ran in them ) confirm the rejection.

Solution ?

Don't have any.

We hear claims of polls and appreciation .

The stories so worn out and silly, now it's just a parallel universe of delusion being bantered about.

What's more damaging than even the years of this affliction of military rule over the oppressed population.

Is the way the elites are now openly relishing placing their boot on the throats of innocents including children .

Even when these people meet their fate and all are done away with for treason .

The higher levels of Thai society can never again hold international moral ground.

And are themselves in danger of dying out of favour

Ok now people first let me tell you that I'm not brown nosing my hero the PM.

Hmmm really, the grassroots poor famers are better off now than in the last 5 years.

But it's the people worrying about the draft referendum that has stopped the information getting out on all those grassroots poor farmers from understanding that they are now better off.

As for the so-called village fund, what a joke. The headman in our village called a public meeting to ask what the people wanted to use the fund for, cool right.

So the overwhelming majority said they wanted a public bore so when the tap water runs dry every six months of the year the people can have easy access to clean water. Sounds great huh, So what did the village (idiot) headman do? he put in a road behind a school that benefits about a dozen houses, now they have a concrete road that a dozen people use and still half the village has no water six months of the year...

Maybe there's more money to be made accepting brown envelope's in the road construction game than deep water boring?

So just how are the "grassroots poor farmers better off?

All those poor people selling on the sidewalks who have been kicked out now have brand new shops to sell their goods at thanks to Prayut. They just have to pay the rich people who own the shops rent for them.

If the "government" has done more, than the previously "elected" government, then I would have thought the list of achievements, for the "grassroot" people would have been more than one item, though the "channelled" money probably wasn't channelled to the right people. No-one, I know, is any better off.

"No-one, I know, is any better off."

And that is the crux of the matter. Figures and pronouncements don't equate to food on the table. I remember being told how much better off I was by Gordon Brown then looking at my payslips which told quite a different story.

That aside, I must salute Mr. Somkid. I couldn't make a speech like that without screwing my eyes tight and sticking my fingers in my ears...

You would think that if all these achievements were true, the junta would hire an independent documentary production company and ask a couple of reputable journalists, social commentators and academics to make an unbiased programme series and air it on all media channels, including TV.

It's hardly rocket science and, if Somkid's blatherings are true, it would be a great way to really explain all these achievements to the people and would clearly demonstrate the junta's commitment to transparency and improving people's lives...

"No-one, I know, is any better off."

And that is the crux of the matter. Figures and pronouncements don't equate to food on the table. I remember being told how much better off I was by Gordon Brown then looking at my payslips which told quite a different story.

That aside, I must salute Mr. Somkid. I couldn't make a speech like that without screwing my eyes tight and sticking my fingers in my ears...

A nice sly, mocking grin would complete the set.

Somkid is saying that this government populist policies are larger and bigger than his previous governments. This kind of take the wind out of the junta apologists persistent mantra that the previous government got into power by populist policies. Wondering anyone doing a tally of money lost with these populist policies. Malfeasance, no?

There was a man from Krungthep,

who as a leader is quite inept.

I will bring happiness back to the sheeple,

he cried from his steeple.

Together we will stand tall,

with Democracy for all.

What I want from you people in return,

should be of little concern.

Just do as you are told

and we can all behold,

how I help the poor,

with my mighty 44.

There is only myself

and there is no one else,

who can get the job done,

for I am the chosen one.

I have a roadmap to success

and I truly must confess,

with it, you will plainly see,

the sheer genius in me.

There is but one small sacrifice to make,

for Thailand's future sake.

You will all follow and obey,

everything I do or say.

The world is continually informed

of how Thailand will be reformed.

And the promise I make to all of you,

is that you will be eternally grateful for my coup.

Such irony in Somkid's commendation of Prayut's alleged economic success following five years of Prayut's predessors.

Somkid became Prayut's DPM for Economic Affairs only after replacing Prayut's handpicked Deputy Prime Minister M.R. Pridiyathorn Devakula in August 2015. Devakula proved incapable of reversing the economic downturn following the military coup in May 2014.

Previously, Somkid served in government as Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Finance, and Minister of Commerce in Thaksin Shinawatra's government. His signature economic innovations included grassroots economic assistance to villages, grants to the agricultural sector and use of soft loans to encourage enterprise development.All of which he immediately instituted under the Prayut regime.

Such irony in Somkid's commendation of Prayut's alleged economic success following five years of Prayut's predessors.

Somkid became Prayut's DPM for Economic Affairs only after replacing Prayut's handpicked Deputy Prime Minister M.R. Pridiyathorn Devakula in August 2015. Devakula proved incapable of reversing the economic downturn following the military coup in May 2014.

Previously, Somkid served in government as Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Finance, and Minister of Commerce in Thaksin Shinawatra's government. His signature economic innovations included grassroots economic assistance to villages, grants to the agricultural sector and use of soft loans to encourage enterprise development.All of which he immediately instituted under the Prayut regime.

Thaksin Shinawatra's government ended in 2006, somewhat more than 5 years ago. AFAIK nobody has ever claimed ALL his policies were bad, they simply point out that he was blatantly corrupt, governing to benefit himself more than the country, and that he and his family evaded billions of baht in taxes.

All those poor people selling on the sidewalks who have been kicked out now have brand new shops to sell their goods at thanks to Prayut. They just have to pay the rich people who own the shops rent for them.

What other areas of public space should retailers be allowed to use illegally? Roads, parks, schools, hospitals, beaches, bridges, railway tracks are OK too or not? What is the asset test cut off point to ensure people are 'poor' enough to break the law without repercussion?

Tiring to read all you clever foreigners whining and complaining about everything and thinking you know everything best. If its so terrible just go back to where you came from. The Shinawatra governments have only used the poor to enrich themselves as they are easy targets. Build a 200 meter paved road in the village and get the votes. Pay the poor to buy votes etc. Does anyone believe that those thieves care about the poor? If the thieving kids of Thaksin cared so much why did they evade paying billions in taxes through fraudulent manipulations. Buying shares from daddy for 1 baht and selling them five minutes for over 49, and pay zero tax!!

For the genius who wrote that the people have to pay rent for shops, really do you think people should rent shops for free? Are the shops rent free where you come from?

What other areas of public space should retailers be allowed to use illegally? Roads, parks, schools, hospitals, beaches, bridges, railway tracks are OK too or not? What is the asset test cut off point to ensure people are 'poor' enough to break the law without repercussion?

I give you another one : Floating market

Maybe soon they will forbid this too.

You maybe love to have clean streets and only nice shopping malls, I personnaly enjoy, as well as many people living and touring here, to have a street full of life and cheap tasty dishes...

Tiring to read all you clever foreigners whining and complaining about everything and thinking you know everything best. If its so terrible just go back to where you came from. The Shinawatra governments have only used the poor to enrich themselves as they are easy targets. Build a 200 meter paved road in the village and get the votes. Pay the poor to buy votes etc. Does anyone believe that those thieves care about the poor? If the thieving kids of Thaksin cared so much why did they evade paying billions in taxes through fraudulent manipulations. Buying shares from daddy for 1 baht and selling them five minutes for over 49, and pay zero tax!!

For the genius who wrote that the people have to pay rent for shops, really do you think people should rent shops for free? Are the shops rent free where you come from?

I assume that you know better than most of us and hope to get your views of the following: -

1. You say Thaksin didn't care about the poor. What then is your view of the 30B health care scheme, Village Fund and OTOP which were his pet projects. Many economist commented it help the poor and narrow the income inequality.

2. Can you explain the rating report from Thailand NESDB that poverty rate fell from 42.33% in 2000 to 10.94% in 2013. Same report put the number of poor at 25.8% in 2000 to 7.3% in 2013.

3. Why you think he is still so immensely popular in the poor north and north east.

As for the tax evasion, it has nothing to do with the work he did with the poor and up to the justice system to charge and convict him and his children.

Ok now people first let me tell you that I'm not brown nosing my hero the PM.

Hmmm really, the grassroots poor famers are better off now than in the last 5 years.

But it's the people worrying about the draft referendum that has stopped the information getting out on all those grassroots poor farmers from understanding that they are now better off.

As for the so-called village fund, what a joke. The headman in our village called a public meeting to ask what the people wanted to use the fund for, cool right.

So the overwhelming majority said they wanted a public bore so when the tap water runs dry every six months of the year the people can have easy access to clean water. Sounds great huh, So what did the village (idiot) headman do? he put in a road behind a school that benefits about a dozen houses, now they have a concrete road that a dozen people use and still half the village has no water six months of the year...

Maybe there's more money to be made accepting brown envelope's in the road construction game than deep water boring?

So just how are the "grassroots poor farmers better off?

Can't speak of your village headman but in our village you just have to drive around and look for the nicest houses on the choicest plots of land to know where they live. As to the water well, if I recall correctly this government had drilled about 1,250 wells as of last October and had pledged to drill about 4,300 more. Sorry you didn't get one yet, how many did PTP, TRT and PPP drill for you?

I assume that you know better than most of us and hope to get your views of the following: -

1. You say Thaksin didn't care about the poor. What then is your view of the 30B health care scheme, Village Fund and OTOP which were his pet projects. Many economist commented it help the poor and narrow the income inequality.

2. Can you explain the rating report from Thailand NESDB that poverty rate fell from 42.33% in 2000 to 10.94% in 2013. Same report put the number of poor at 25.8% in 2000 to 7.3% in 2013.

3. Why you think he is still so immensely popular in the poor north and north east.

As for the tax evasion, it has nothing to do with the work he did with the poor and up to the justice system to charge and convict him and his children.

..........along with the many other charges, should he ever bother to come back.

Knowing the Shinawatras as intimately as you do, do you expect the kids to pay their B16 billion they owe the Thai people, or move abroad permanently and stiff those they claim to love so much?

..........along with the many other charges, should he ever bother to come back.

Knowing the Shinawatras as intimately as you do, do you expect the kids to pay their B16 billion they owe the Thai people, or move abroad permanently and stiff those they claim to love so much?

What you think? But from track records that go back as far as 1932, seem that what the establishment want, they engineer and get.