Phuket City Municipality proposes new act for pet control

webfact

Phuket City Municipality proposes new act for pet control
Chanida Summast

1469684252_1-org.jpg
If the propsed act goes through, some dogs will have to be muzzled if taken into a public area. Photo: whatleydude/Flickr

PHUKET: -- Phuket City officials have drafted regulations for a proposed “Animal Welfare Act 2016” which will require all cat and dog owners to register their pets and adhere to strict regulations.

Should the regulations not be met, then the owners of the pets will be liable to pay a fine of B5,000.

The proposed act, which will be added to the existing “Municipality Act”, was discussed at a meeting held last Saturday (July 23) by Phuket City Mayor Somjai Suwansupapana at Baan Bang Niew Municipal School in Phuket Town and attended by local government officials and residents.

During the meeting Mayor Somjai said, “We have received a numbers of complaints from residents regarding issues with cats and dogs such as their health and cleanliness, dogs barking, conflicts between pet owners and also stray dogs.

“To solve these issues we are proposing to set out rules and regulations for when owners let their cats and dogs out in public areas. We need the public’s input into this so we can add these rules and regulations to the existing act.

“If we receive the public’s approval we will first forward the proposal to our committee and then to the Phuket Governor for his approval,” she said.

The Director of the Public Health and Environment division at Phuket City Municipality, Ms Vina Pikunpon, explained to The Phuket News on Tuesday (July 26): “The draft regulations for the Animal Welfare Act 2016 propose the idea of owners keeping their pets, namely dogs and cats, under control and well organised.

“These regulations include keeping dogs on a leash when going into public areas. If pets are taken to public areas they must be to be tame, clean, registered and have all necessary vaccinations” Ms Vina said.

“If we enforce these new regulations we will be able to rid the island of problems such as smelly pets and nuisance noise such as barking. It will also help reduce the number of stray dogs and cats. This draft act will improve the quality of life to our community,” she added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-city-municipality-proposes-new-act-for-pet-control-58432.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-07-29

More of the never ending nonsense.

As if Somchai, the fruit vendor in his Soi is going to outlay money for a muzzle, innoculation, a leash and keep his mangy mutt clean........just will not happen........

But the upside is, (if these proposed regulations are actually enforced....of course, another dubious but likely outcome), his mutt could be taken from him.......'cos he will not be able to pay the Thb 5000 fine!

Great regulation .... if it's really enforced.

just need a few farangs to report everyone in their neighborhoods

I wonder what will my police captain neighbour say when somechai 12 000b per month comes with a warrant for his muts that shit in the middle of the road

"Dogs such as a Pitbulls, Bull Terriers, Rottweilers, Brazilian Mastiffs, Staffordshire Bull Terriers or similar, or a dog with history of attacking people, should wear a muzzle and be kept on a leash of no more than 50 metres length at all times"

50 metres? hmm

This act 2016 will affect those who live in the Phuket City Municipality boundary area only,”

So they will establish a boundary control? What will their uniforms look like? Will Soi Dogs respect the boundary and who is paying their fines?

"Dogs such as a Pitbulls, Bull Terriers, Rottweilers, Brazilian Mastiffs, Staffordshire Bull Terriers or similar, or a dog with history of attacking people, should wear a muzzle and be kept on a leash of no more than 50 metres length at all times"

50 metres? hmm

This act 2016 will affect those who live in the Phuket City Municipality boundary area only,”

So they will establish a boundary control? What will their uniforms look like? Will Soi Dogs respect the boundary and who is paying their fines?

I believe it should be the owners of these breeds be forced to wear bloody muzzles. Nothing wrong with the dogs, it's some of the useless owners. A good proportion of which are Thai police.

As for soi dogs, I had three, wonderful dogs who just turned up at my gate. Unfortunately old age has seen them all off now and with the recent rounding up in my neighbourhood, community pets are no longer to be seen. I miss them sad.png