Can Bangkok Curb Prostitution? And Should It?

webfact

Can Bangkok Curb Prostitution? And Should It?
Thailand’s first female minister of tourism wants the sex trade banned. Critics say the plan is shortsighted.
MIMI KIRK

BANGKOK: -- Tourists flock to Thailand for its temples and beaches, but also for its sex workers. From go-go girls to ladyboys, Thai cities and resorts like Bangkok and Pattaya are known as hubs of the Southeast Asian sex trade, despite the fact that prostitution has been illegal in Thailand since 1960.

It’s clear many officials and law enforcement have turned a blind eye for decades. This could be changing. Thailand’s first female minister of tourism, Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul, recently called for an end to the debauchery. “We want Thailand to be about quality tourism,” she told Reuters. “We want the sex industry gone.”

Kobkarn’s proclamation came after police raided dozens of brothels last month, though only one establishment was shut down, with 100 workers arrested, including 15 who were underage.

Full story: http://www.citylab.com/politics/2016/07/bangkok-prostitution-ban/493355/

-- CITYLAB 2016-07-29

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It can't but it should!

It can't and it shouldn't.

I know lots of guys (expats) who partake and in the process, spends thousands upon thousands of baht. It is unlikely that they will spend these thousands visiting temples and waterfalls. Money being pumped into an economy is good - it circulates, the higher the velocity the better and improves multiplier effects.

I propose Chantawipa for Minister of Tourism - we might finally have someone who knows what they are talking about

legalise it and the majority of the problem will be gone. it is the vast amounts of money being made through corruption that makes it impossible to regulate it. once it is legalised then it can be regulated, the workers get looked after and a ton of money goes into the government coffers through taxes. Therein lies the problem, most 'officials' want the money to go into their pockets.

No one any where can curb prostitution. It will be with us for ever. We should thank our lucky stars it is here.Where would all the horny guys go or what would they do with out relief.Especially here in Thailand men.s ego,s are so fragile.No brothels would probably mean rape incest and abuse of relationships.would be rampant.

Prostitution isn't going anywhere. Especially in a country like Thailand with poverty and corruption. Also, define what prostitution really is? A lot of the locals don't seem to understand themselves.

I was on a dating site recently and a local girl messaged me. The usual "Hello, how are you?" We go back and forth a few times and eventually swap Line adds. So, the Line conversation starts as normal. I asked where she lives and she said 'Sukhumvit 22'. Now, I'm not one to judge but that raised a red flag. She was a cute girl so I asked her "What are you looking for?". She said friends and hopefully a boyfriend. Okay, great.

Eventually, we go onto what her job was. She works in a massage shop 'on' Sukhumvit 22. Alarm bells going off again. "Okaaaay......" I said. "Would you like a massage?" she asked. I play dumb and just say I don't like Thai massage 'cos it's too painful. "I can give you a sexy massage" she says "Sexy?" I ask. "Sure, but you have to pay me 500 Baht" she replied.

Eventually, she says we can have sex. 1 hour for 2,500 Baht. (She wasn't direct because she was trying to make it seem like it was my idea) Now, I have nothing against prostitution or girls and boys who sell sex for money. God bless, but be safe. I simply told her that's not what I'm looking for. "Oh. you want sex for free!!!" she says. "Ehm, I didn't mention anything about sex. You did" I said. "Why farang come to Thailand and think can have sex with Thai lady for free!" she said. I just told her politely that we are on two completely different tracks. I'm not getting into this conversation.

Anywho, she saw sex as something to be sold. She didn't see anything wrong in that (and who am I to say she's wrong). For me, it simply doesn't appeal. Sex as a business deal simply isn't sexy for me. Quite the opposite. To each their own, but trying to really stop prostitution would be as successful as the war on drugs. Don't condemn people for doing it -actually find out why they do it.

Perhaps the minister should consult with her husband and find out what he likes to do when she is busy concocting her little schemes or complains of a headache. But maybe he really just visits a temple or a waterfall to relax and lose some testosterone-induced steam...

No and it shouldn't.

How else will thousands of 60 + year old naive westerners find love if they do curb it? Where will they spend their hundreds of thousands of baht? Who will they leave at home when they drink their pension money with their pensioner mates at the local bar?

I really don't get why Thais seem to think that farangs are the reason for the existence of prostitution in Thailand. The majority of people who make use of this service, and who keep it alive, are the Thais themselves. I don't have statistics to back up what I am saying, but from what I read prior-- farang would not keep this occupation running if it were dependent on our money. Just passing the buck to us ... agaiiiin...

Edited by LazySlipper

Prostitution isn't going anywhere. Especially in a country like Thailand with poverty and corruption. Also, define what prostitution really is? A lot of the locals don't seem to understand themselves.

I was on a dating site recently and a local girl messaged me. The usual "Hello, how are you?" We go back and forth a few times and eventually swap Line adds. So, the Line conversation starts as normal. I asked where she lives and she said 'Sukhumvit 22'. Now, I'm not one to judge but that raised a red flag. She was a cute girl so I asked her "What are you looking for?". She said friends and hopefully a boyfriend. Okay, great.

Eventually, we go onto what her job was. She works in a massage shop 'on' Sukhumvit 22. Alarm bells going off again. "Okaaaay......" I said. "Would you like a massage?" she asked. I play dumb and just say I don't like Thai massage 'cos it's too painful. "I can give you a sexy massage" she says "Sexy?" I ask. "Sure, but you have to pay me 500 Baht" she replied.

Eventually, she says we can have sex. 1 hour for 2,500 Baht. (She wasn't direct because she was trying to make it seem like it was my idea) Now, I have nothing against prostitution or girls and boys who sell sex for money. God bless, but be safe. I simply told her that's not what I'm looking for. "Oh. you want sex for free!!!" she says. "Ehm, I didn't mention anything about sex. You did" I said. "Why farang come to Thailand and think can have sex with Thai lady for free!" she said. I just told her politely that we are on two completely different tracks. I'm not getting into this conversation.

Anywho, she saw sex as something to be sold. She didn't see anything wrong in that (and who am I to say she's wrong). For me, it simply doesn't appeal. Sex as a business deal simply isn't sexy for me. Quite the opposite. To each their own, but trying to really stop prostitution would be as successful as the war on drugs. Don't condemn people for doing it -actually find out why they do it.

You must be a minister or priest, not wanting sex. On second thought, if you were a priest the story would be about a boy, not a girl !

No and it shouldn't.

How else will thousands of 60 + year old naive westerners find love if they do curb it? Where will they spend their hundreds of thousands of baht? Who will they leave at home when they drink their pension money with their pensioner mates at the local bar?

The same way the 20-40 year old naive westerners do, when they have wives and girlfriends back at home. ;)

no way it can be stopped.

this practice has been with mankind since time immemorial.

in thailand this is too deeply entrenched and too many lives

are dependent on it.as far as the tourists are concerned they

may come to see the beaches and temples (that too a limited percentage)

once. the repeat visitors come for some shopping, wine and women.

do no forget that that are beaches temples, even more historical than thai

in many asian countries.i doubt these are draw for tourists.

I think it's a significant part of Thailand's mystique. Even people who don't come here for the reason of indulging in sex, find it more exciting knowing the country has a bit of a naughty edge (and it's there just in case). Tourist-aimed prostitution is almost an historical part of Thailand, as well -- began flourishing during the Vietnam war. "Hey (GI) Joe, I love you long time, okay?"

But that's all illusion anyway regarding the damages of prostitution on Thai society. The vast majority of damaging prostitution involves people who are too young to be employed in such a profession and happens strictly within Thai society in the village brothels -- not the glaring bright lights of Pattaya and Patpong.

Edited by Inn Between

How about a poll asking Pattaya's middle aged single male tourists how many temples and cultural attractions and events they visited during their 3 week vacation?

How about asking yourself how you would feel if your home country was famous for sex tourism?

I really don't get why Thais seem to think that farangs are the reason for the existence of prostitution in Thailand. The majority of people who make use of this service, and who keep it alive, are the Thais themselves. I don't have statistics to back up what I am saying, but from what I read prior-- farang would not keep this occupation running if it were dependent on our money. Just passing the buck to us ... agaiiiin...

There's no passing the buck to "us"

The problem is that the foreigner-oriented segment of the massive prostitution industry is more visible and high-profile than the discreet (in comparison) Thai-oriented segment.

Thailand's reputation as a place for foreigners to get laid is the one that travels abroad, not its reputation for having a massive industry built around servicing the locals

Most tourists aren't even conscious of the latter

Edited by Agent Sumo

How about a poll asking Pattaya's middle aged single male tourists how many temples and cultural attractions and events they visited during their 3 week vacation?

How about asking yourself how you would feel if your home country was famous for sex tourism?

I'd love it and would never have moved here dude along with 95% of expats lol

Foreigners probably contribute to less than 5% of the $$$ going into 'tutes in Thailand.

Way too many high ranked brownshirts have their mianoi-money and whiskey money collected from the arenas of prostitution - so stopping that is missiln impossible.

Just look at what just happend in Pattaya.

I'll be interested to see how long it takes the powers to be in Thailand to wake up to tha fact that by sanitising the place they are destroying the things that the majority of people come to see, this will only be a win for the likes of Burma and Vietnam.

Might as well shut the country for all the good it will do beatdeadhorse.gif It is not just the girls/boys/katoey's/pimps/police/politicians in the sex industry that rely on it but probably most of the farms back up north or wherever would go under without the income from their "hard working" offspring wai2.gif