All systems go for the referendum - just don't drop the ballot boxes!

webfact

All systems go for the referendum - just don't drop the ballot boxes!

a1.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- An electoral commission official was left with a red face after demonstrating the new indestructible ballot boxes that the government got on the cheap.

Demonstrating to a packed news conference how the new plastic boxes would last for the next ten years he three one to the floor, reported Thairath.

It shattered.

"Ooh - I must have thrown it with too much force," backtracked Somchai Sriuthiyakorn. "Or I must have thrown it in the wrong way. Whatever, in normal use they will never break, " he guaranteed.

This was after he had spent several minutes proudly showing off voting procedures and the new boxes. The old ones were paper covered in PVC and could only be used at two elections he said. 

The new ones were only 244 baht each, he said, and we have got 50,000 of them, half what is needed.

They didn't manage to make the rest in time.

They will last for many elections, he added. At least ten years use. 

But when the demonstration came so did the egg on Somchai's face as the box bust.

Rather than stopping digging when in a hole, Somchai then invited reporters to come and stand on them. The boxes were a success at last with no further breakage.

The clear plastic will be great for stopping electoral fraud, Somchai had said. 

The public will be able to see they are empty when the polls open at 8am on Sunday and they have not been added to when the polls shut at 4pm.

They are much better value for money than the old ones, he said.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-03

So they only have half the boxes that are needed.

Well that leaves the old style ones for everybody else, if in fact any are left after the previous two elections.

Do the boxes make any difference, or was this a decision based on economics and not electoral fairness?

My own government back home a few years back spent millions of pounds on new computers for an election....they never were put into service as they discovered they could be tampered with. Not only did they lose all that money but at least the same again keeping them in storage.

So...."Well done Thailand" I say..... and to all the usual bunch of "knockers" when stories like this crop up, I suggest you take a long good look at your own country before ridiculing others. 

Edited by dotpoom

As a democratic tool referendums are limited in their use - as we have seen in Scotland and UK recently - here it seems ironic that a populist undemocratic tool is being used to verify a system of government that clearly falls short of accepted democratic characteristics.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

My own government back home a few years back spent millions of pounds on new computers for an election....they never were put into service as they discovered they could be tampered with. Not only did they lose all that money but at least the same again keeping them in storage.

So...."Well done Thailand" I say..... and to all the usual bunch of "knockers" when stories like this crop up, I suggest you take a long good look at your own country before ridiculing others. 

Kiss ass

1 hour ago, mesterm said:

I mean the story was funny and all, but the video shows that it was just a small chip off the edge. Hardly "shattered", as the news report states. Do they really have to sensationalize everything this much? Sigh.

I watched this episode on the Asian channel it had a big open crack down the one corner. I hope this is not a bad omen. 

35 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

The "unbreakable box" broke, they only got half of what they ordered. Will they be able to accurately count the voting papers? :whistling:

Something about organising a party in a brewery comes to mind. :coffee1:

What?

theres counting involved too?

now that seems like a waste of time!