Trump says Gulf states will pay for Syrian war

webfact

Trump says Gulf states will pay for Syrian war

606x341_340348.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- Speaking at a rally in Virginia US Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has laid out some more controversial foreign policy stances.

The US will push for air and ground safe zones in Syria he said, but it won’t pay for them, instead the rich Gulf states would. The safe zone policy is controversial because it can be construed as an attack on Syria since it would require war planes to enforce it.

“We want to do safe zones in Syria. I will get the Gulf states, who are not doing much, believe me. The Gulf states have nothing but money.

I’m going to get them to pay. We owe 19 trillion, we’re not paying for it. Don’t forget, without us, the Gulf states won’t exist,” he said.

In December Trump said Muslims would be banned from entering the US, upsetting Muslims across the world, including in the Gulf.

Trump also predicted that other EU states would follow the UK’s exit from the bloc because they had let too many migrants in.

“Other countries in the European Union are going to follow. Because they were forced to take people and now it’s getting to be catastrophic. What went wrong? Angela, what happened? What happened, Angela?”

Trump was referring to German Chancellor Angela Merkel, but mispronounced her first name.

Afterwards Trump was given a replica Purple Heart medal by a supporter who fought in the Iraq war.

Trump’s stance on the Iraq war has been equivocal. At times he has indicated support for it but he has also said it cost too much money.

Recent reports in the US media have suggested that Trump, like many senior leaders, such as Bill Clinton and George W Bush, dodged the draft in Vietnam.

On Tuesday President Barack Obama said Trump’s attacks on the family of a Muslim US Army captain killed in Iraq and his lack of understanding of critical issues means he is “woefully unfit” to serve as president.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-08-04

How?

Y'all didn't read how we guess :blink:

"I’m going to get them to pay. We owe 19 trillion, we’re not paying for it. Don’t forget, without us, the Gulf states won’t exist,” he said."

Weren't some of them already  paying for it, but paying ransoms to ISIL or providing money laundering facilities?  Turkey was paying for it too when it purchased oil from ISIL.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wait, he means, they would pay for the defense of the west against the jihadis...  ahh ok, got it now.

Hmm. Answer is no.

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

How?

"I’m going to get them to pay. We owe 19 trillion, we’re not paying for it. Don’t forget, without us, the Gulf states won’t exist,” he said."

Actually, the Gulf States have been paying. They've been supporting the Sunni extremist Al-Nusrah front in its bid to oust Assad.

This man would not be able to find the Gulf on a World map. He is just blabbering again. That is what he does best. He is a schuckster of the highest order. A real Barnum & Bailey type. This snake oil salesman loves to talk tough. This is the same man who got FIVE deferments from serving in Vietnam. This is the same man who insulted John Kerry, John McCain, and now the Khan family. He likes to appear tough by insulting people who have actually served in the armed forces, even though alot of us know he would wet his pants if he were ever in the line of fire. What sacrifices has this man made for his country? He has a record of having donated one of the lowest percentages of his fortune to charity, and the less fortunate, than any other man in American history. 

Other than just jawboning, which he does best, what would he actually do to make the Gulf states pay? What kind of pressure would he put on them? I am sort of in agreement with him, in principal. The Gulf states need to do a whole lot more in this war on terror, and the Saudis need to be held accountable for their continued support of worldwide terror groups, and the extremist Madrasas that spawn these super freaks. But, what would he actually do?

On a certain level, he reminds me of Obama, 8 years ago. He made alot of amazing promises, very, very few of which he kept. It will be the same with this goombah. He is an orange hot air balloon. 

2 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

How?

US defaulting on debt. That will work wonders for the world economy!

PS. Here is a shocking revelation for the Trumpet supporters; the US is part of the world!

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This man would not be able to find the Gulf on a World map. He is just blabbering again. That is what he does best. He is a schuckster of the highest order. A real Barnum & Bailey type. This snake oil salesman loves to talk tough. This is the same man who got FIVE deferments from serving in Vietnam. This is the same man who insulted John Kerry, John McCain, and now the Khan family. He likes to appear tough by insulting people who have actually served in the armed forces, even though alot of us know he would wet his pants if he were ever in the line of fire. What sacrifices has this man made for his country? He has a record of having donated one of the lowest percentages of his fortune to charity, and the less fortunate, than any other man in American history. 

Other than just jawboning, which he does best, what would he actually do to make the Gulf states pay? What kind of pressure would he put on them? I am sort of in agreement with him, in principal. The Gulf states need to do a whole lot more in this war on terror, and the Saudis need to be held accountable for their continued support of worldwide terror groups, and the extremist Madrasas that spawn these super freaks. But, what would he actually do?

On a certain level, he reminds me of Obama, 8 years ago. He made alot of amazing promises, very, very few of which he kept. It will be the same with this goombah. He is an orange hot air balloon. 

"On a certain level, he reminds me of Obama, 8 years ago. He made alot of amazing promises, very, very few of which he kept."

At least the promises Obama made were theoretically doable, and not thought up by the asylum janitor in the Twilight zone.

2 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Makes sense. We should not be paying to protect people that can easily pay for it themselves.

Care to explain how Syrian refugees can afford to pay for safe zones within Syria?

The concept of safe zones in Syria parallel to the Turkish and Jordanian borders has been around for a long time and never got traction due to political differences / strategies of US, EU & regional players. Calculations have been a safe zone would require a commitment of 10k - 15k troops on the ground, plus 24/7 air power; suggest currently no way Syria, Russia and Iran would permit this deployment.

Fairly recently there has been a bit more focus due to the asylum seeker crisis in the EU. However, as the issue is to try and reduce refugee flows into the EU, why would the Gulf States have a particular concern? Comes across that Trump lacks knowledge or yet again pandering to the ignorant populist audience.

Donald Trump as President would increase the defense budget from its already a grotesque size of $630 Billion to a size that would inhibit any chance of the lower or middle classes to get any relief. While I am all for a suitable defense- America cannot continue to fight other people's wars and continue to spend monies on defense or intelligence like a drunken sailor that has one night in Bangkok. While Trump strikes a popular refrain that America is broke and spending money on things other people should be doing- he has no real plan to control the budget or make the necessary cuts.  He would lower the tax rate for everyone which includes his wealthy friends of the 1%. Instead he needs to lower the  defense budget ; get rid of  almost all of the 25 unneeded intelligence agencies; stop tax breaks for  American companies that head offshore and provide incentives to repatriate the trillions of dollars hidden in offshore banks.

There are people on this site who could come up with a better plan to revitalize America than Trump has presented or could present. He just doesn't have the depth of knowledge or the temperament to  be President.

Trump also predicted that other EU states would follow the UK’s exit from the bloc because they had let too many migrants in.

Brexit... what swayed it was the "misinformation" feed to the voters now many who voted for Brexit not clear about the consequences or what they were voting for...

Today we may well see the pound fall lower with a droop in interest rates,  many of those who voted for Brexit now complaining their holidays are going to cost more, for me I already see revised prices by my suppliers of 10% or more across the board.

Big question are the Americans stupid enough to fall for this "Trumped up" bigotry rhetoric???

Edited by Basil B

Some Americans will fall for the Trump nonsense- but as we move further into the campaign more and more Americans will start to see Trump for what he is. There are also going to be 3 televised debates- which will actually be what most Americans make their decisions on.  Trump has alienated women; blacks; and Hispanics and I doubt he can recover from that unless he would specifically apologize for the things he said. Trump doesn't apologize because he is a narcissistic meglomaniac who thinks he is always right. In addition, the majority of the electronic and written news media are against Trump. I would be surprised if he was elected. in fact, I will be surprised if he can win more than a few states.

34 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Some Americans will fall for the Trump nonsense- but as we move further into the campaign more and more Americans will start to see Trump for what he is. There are also going to be 3 televised debates- which will actually be what most Americans make their decisions on.  Trump has alienated women; blacks; and Hispanics and I doubt he can recover from that unless he would specifically apologize for the things he said. Trump doesn't apologize because he is a narcissistic meglomaniac who thinks he is always right. In addition, the majority of the electronic and written news media are against Trump. I would be surprised if he was elected. in fact, I will be surprised if he can win more than a few states.

And he will be absolutely obliterated by Clinton in the debates. No matter how you feel about her, and what side of the aisle you are on, it is hard to question her intelligence, grasp of the issues, and knowledge of foreign policy (thought I personally disagree with alot of it) and the world. She will destroy him. He knows it. There is a good chance he will refuse to debate her, as he has refused to release his taxes. Both participating in the debates, and releasing his taxes, would be bombshells. His lack of knowledge, policy, understanding of geopolitics, geography, history, and his inability to control himself would be very apparent in a debate with Clinton.

Personally, I would pay real money to see those debates! It can be a real joy to watch a grown man cry, and make an utter fool out of himself. 

Grown man? You'll not get the joy with Trump. Anyway, he's not smart enough to recognize his own stupidity, callousness and recklessess. Were he able to recognize them, he'd be indignantly blind enough to think them virtues - as do some people here.

28 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And he will be absolutely obliterated by Clinton in the debates. No matter how you feel about her, and what side of the aisle you are on, it is hard to question her intelligence, grasp of the issues, and knowledge of foreign policy (thought I personally disagree with alot of it) and the world. She will destroy him. He knows it. There is a good chance he will refuse to debate her, as he has refused to release his taxes. Both participating in the debates, and releasing his taxes, would be bombshells. His lack of knowledge, policy, understanding of geopolitics, geography, history, and his inability to control himself would be very apparent in a debate with Clinton.

Personally, I would pay real money to see those debates! It can be a real joy to watch a grown man cry, and make an utter fool out of himself. 

I fear we are going to be denied that comedy gold.

I very much think that Trump will bow out of the campaign or at least out of the debates. At the moment he has completely lost the plot. Clinton can just put her feet up and watch him imploding.

5 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

How?

"How" is he going to get them to pay? 

42 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I think he many be trying to figure out a way to avoid the debates! The schedule is fixed! He KNOWS he's going to get slaughtered in them. Hillary will be massively prepared and trump isn't even capable of being prepared even he had the discipline to try, which he doesn't. He's gotten this far on being a total B.S. artist. That will not wash in a one on one debate with a real professional like Hillary Clinton. 

What does that say about someone who supports  a narcissistic meglomaniac like Donald Trump-a person  who insults anyone who disagrees with him; is a racist; denigrates the disabled and foreigners; and even the families of American veterans who die in the service of their country?

How can anyone believe anything coming out of the mouth of a person who cheats (badly) in golf???

http://www.golf.com/extra-spin/donald-trump-cheating-golf-yes-says-samuel-l-jackson

http://www.golf.com/extra-spin/oscar-de-la-hoya-details-how-donald-trump-cheat-golf

http://gawker.com/a-brief-history-of-the-golf-cheating-accusations-agains-1774776293

In fact, he thinks he is so clever at cheating that he is willing to play for the Presidency:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-obama-golf-challenge-play-226635

What a total clown. And people actually vote for this guy????????

Interesting that military service dodger trump (I don't blame him for that but it shows his hypocrisy) that accepts a Purple Heart (the noble thing would have been  to decline as it totally devalues the great honor of that award for someone who didn't earn it to get it) has some interesting opinions on war itself. Opinions that would make actual military leaders disgusted.

Lincoln: "War, at its best, is terrible."
Trump: "I love war."

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

It is quite incredible that anyone pitching for the big seat has no grasp of reality in the real world.  The arrogance is laughable and as there is no chance of him getting elected it doesn't really matter.  More popcorn please!

There is a chance he will win.

He's down now, with very good reasons, but because it's such a long time before the first debate, I don't know how Hillary can go in for the KNOCKOUT.

So he'll still be kicking in this race for a long time ... and be careful about predicting the future as well.