PM Prayut told foreign governments not to be too worried with referendum

webfact

PM told foreign governments not to be too worried with referendum

751_PM-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha assured foreign governments that there is no need for them to be worried and to issue travel advisories for their citizens to avoid visiting Thailand or take special caution while visiting Thailand during the referendum because the army is taking care of the situation to maintain peace and order.

However, he noted that if there is any trouble or chaos during the referendum it is because there are elements who want to incite unrest.

The prime minister made the above remarks in his speech as he presided over the 50th anniversary of the Asean Day.

He also said that he had ordered the scrapping the proposed “Siamese Lice” economic model by finance permanent secretary Somchai Satjaphong, saying that it is unsuitable and irrelevant.

The economic model advocates Thailand to be friendly with all countries, to forge economic relationship with more affluent countries in order to take the utmost advantage of them and then to switch to new partners after the former have been drained out of their resources.

Asean, said the prime minister, must work more closely together and help one another to resolve cross-border problems such as haze and transnational crime.

Asean countries must advance together as one so that it will have more bargaining clout, he said, adding that Asean countries must have mutual trust with one another and must try to reduce their mutual distrust.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-told-foreign-governments-not-worried-referendum/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-05

How does a journalist who takes even an ounce of pride in their profession write the following two sentences back to back?

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha assured foreign governments that there is no need for them to be worried and to issue travel advisories for their citizens to avoid visiting Thailand or take special caution while visiting Thailand during the referendum because the army is taking care of the situation to maintain peace and order.

However, he noted that if there is any trouble or chaos during the referendum it is because there are elements who want to incite unrest.

That's like saying, "The mayor of Kabul said that it's perfectly safe to visit the city but if you do get killed by Taliban, it's because they want to create chaos."

2 hours ago, digibum said:

How does a journalist who takes even an ounce of pride in their profession write the following two sentences back to back?

That's like saying, "The mayor of Kabul said that it's perfectly safe to visit the city but if you do get killed by Taliban, it's because they want to create chaos."

This is the Donald Trump style of speaking. It's very similar to that of a child and appeals to people who are basically dumb.

You contradict yourself all the time. Smart people will quite rightly point it out, but dumb people will hear what they want to hear. Trump recently was talking about nuclear weapons. He said he wouldn't be a 'happy trigger', but he'd use a nuke if he had to. He said, and I paraphrase "I'd never drop a nuke on, lets's say Europe. But.....you can never take anything off the table" The reporter asked again "So you could possibly nuke Europe, if you had to?" "NO!" said Trump. "But you can never take anything off the table".

Dumb people who like him will hear "Nuke other countries, yea!". Dumb people who like him/on the fence but don't like the idea of nuclear bombs might hear "He won't nuke other countries". It's the same as what's been said here.

There's no danger, but there might be. 

There might be?

No! But if there is, it won't be our fault.

So there might be danger?

No! But.....

And this dynamic could go on indefinitely. Embassies are protecting their citizens, but the local government don't won't bad press or loss of tourism. Thailand is one of those places where you can have your cake and eat it. The outside world is not. 

3 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

So is Prayut giving up on Thailand being the Hub and gateway of ASEAN?

Otherwise his statement is mere fantasy.

Maybe he means advance together but with LoS in their rightful place Leading  !

Why would anyone worry about the passing of a referendum that takes away the rights of it's citizen, legitimizes a military government, gives them more power and ability to censure, arrest, and detain without question, and prolongs their tenure, while they sabotage a once great economy? Why would anyone be concerned about any of that?

As usual the little man continues to occupy space on another planet. 

Edited by spidermike007

54 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Maybe he means advance together but with LoS in their rightful place Leading  !

A concept which would probably cause the collected leaders of Asean to wet themselves, through uncontrolled mirth!

“…if there is any trouble or chaos during the referendum…”!!!

Wow, Prat yu has the full gamut covered in that sweeping statement. Just as well “…the army is taking care of the situation…”.

Meanwhile, according to Timesofnews (http://austria.timesofnews.com/parasite-economic-idea-draws-flak/) and other sources, Thailand’s Permanent secretary for finance Somchai Sujjapong has proposed a sustainable economic model (initially called the “Siamese Parasite Model”) that he says positions the country as a parasite on other economies!

Parasite.jpg

But, it seems this may be too close to the truth for some junta heavy-weights, as this TV-post reports that Prat yu had ordered the scrapping of the proposed model. As the Timesofnews also reports, they now prefer to use the more familiar word ”tiger” instead of “parasite” as a metaphor for Thailand’s economic position – so maybe they should call it the “Tiger Kingdom Model”? That's sure to make Thailand "...friendly with all countries...", (because everyone likes tigers)!

I wonder why all you guys are worrying so much, there has not been any violence since the army took charge (one of the major plus points). Why would this change all of a sudden. 

I am taking bets 2 to one with anyone who wants to bet there wont be any MAJOR violence like those in the past. 

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

I wonder why all you guys are worrying so much, there has not been any violence since the army took charge (one of the major plus points). Why would this change all of a sudden. 

I am taking bets 2 to one with anyone who wants to bet there wont be any MAJOR violence like those in the past. 

The army has proven to control safety in BKK much much better than the police did. The police did nothing at all during the riots in BKK.

So i trust the general in this, his boys will keep BKK safe. sabaai sabaai.

36 minutes ago, robblok said:

It's not worry so much as pointing out the absurdity of saying that there is nothing to worry about but if something does happen, the other guy did it.  

The point of this address was to basically pooh-pooh all of the countries that had rightly warned their citizens that they should stay away from polling places and crowds during the election.  

8 minutes ago, digibum said:

It's not worry so much as pointing out the absurdity of saying that there is nothing to worry about but if something does happen, the other guy did it.  

The point of this address was to basically pooh-pooh all of the countries that had rightly warned their citizens that they should stay away from polling places and crowds during the election.  

I don't really agree.. all the time that the army has been in charge there has been no violence on the scale what we seen before. Now if there was any indication that there would be violence I agree. But the track record of the military has shown that they can keep the violence from happening. 

1 hour ago, waldroj said:

“…if there is any trouble or chaos during the referendum…”!!!

Wow, Prat yu has the full gamut covered in that sweeping statement. Just as well “…the army is taking care of the situation…”.

Meanwhile, according to Timesofnews (http://austria.timesofnews.com/parasite-economic-idea-draws-flak/) and other sources, Thailand’s Permanent secretary for finance Somchai Sujjapong has proposed a sustainable economic model (initially called the “Siamese Parasite Model”) that he says positions the country as a parasite on other economies!

Parasite.jpg

But, it seems this may be too close to the truth for some junta heavy-weights, as this TV-post reports that Prat yu had ordered the scrapping of the proposed model. As the Timesofnews also reports, they now prefer to use the more familiar word ”tiger” instead of “parasite” as a metaphor for Thailand’s economic position – so maybe they should call it the “Tiger Kingdom Model”? That's sure to make Thailand "...friendly with all countries...", (because everyone likes tigers)!

The linked article is hysterical.  Basically, the idea was rejected mostly due to the fact that they don't like the word parasite and that they prefer to think of themselves as tigers lying in wait sharpening their claws.  I guarantee if he renames it to Tiger Kingdom Model and changes not a single other aspect of it, they'll fall all over themselves declaring it the great savior of the Thai economy.  

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't really agree.. all the time that the army has been in charge there has been no violence on the scale what we seen before. Now if there was any indication that there would be violence I agree. But the track record of the military has shown that they can keep the violence from happening. 

Please don't talk utter <deleted>. You have no idea what you are talking about. The Thai army has been directly responsible for the deaths of many Thai citizens over the years, down south and in the rest of the country.

The general deporting some people back to China costs over 20 people their lives at the Erawan shrine not too long ago.

5 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Please don't talk utter <deleted>. You have no idea what you are talking about. The Thai army has been directly responsible for the deaths of many Thai citizens over the years, down south and in the rest of the country.

The general deporting some people back to China costs over 20 people their lives at the Erawan shrine not too long ago.

You are talking carp and insulting me. Logic is not something you seem to poses we are talking here about red / yellow violence. It seems like you don't even understand the topic but are looking to derail the topic. 

The topic here is violence during the referendum and that implies the red / yellow violence. The army has been real good in making sure that did not happen anymore. There have been no uprisings no violence (red / yellow violence) here since the army took control

Now go troll somewhere else and stay on topic.

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't understand what you are not agreeing with.  I'm not really stating an opinion.  

I said I was not worried.  Not an opinion.  Fact.  

I said I found that saying there's nothing to worry because you have it under control but if something does happen other people did it is absurd.  That's not an opinion, that's simply how logic works.  One statement contradicts the other, thus it is absurd.  

Dictionary definition of absurd:  wildly unreasonable, illogical, or inappropriate.

Those two statements together could not fit the definition more precisely.  

I said that the PM was using his address to counter concerns raised by some foreign embassies who have issued travel advisories.  As this is one of the jobs of an embassy, to make their citizens aware of situations that could possibly become security issues, I used the word, "rightly" when describing their decisions to issue such advisories.  

What part do you disagree with?    

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

You are talking carp and insulting me. Logic is not something you seem to poses we are talking here about red / yellow violence. It seems like you don't even understand the topic but are looking to derail the topic. 

The topic here is violence during the referendum and that implies the red / yellow violence. The army has been real good in making sure that did not happen anymore. There have been no uprisings no violence (red / yellow violence) here since the army took control

Now go troll somewhere else and stay on topic.

I am on topic, I responded to your ludicrous claim: "But the track record of the military has shown that they can keep the violence from happening.  "

I guess you are young and ignorant of Thai history, but let me tell you that the army has been directly reponsible for a shitload of voilence IN Thailand and against Thai citizens.

Of course someone who really uses his brain is going to realize that the way the army currently operates, will only wider the divide and will only lead to more violence.