Thaksin calls the draft charter a “folly”

webfact

1 hour ago, Smarter Than You said:

"Few families running the show" is indeed a very big problem here.

The Shinawatras are absolutely not one of those "old money" families.

Coups perpetuate the problem, Democracy will solve the problem.

Well i would like to think so,but have a look around the world,corruption and legal rorting everywhere.Democracy as a concept is all very good on paper until greedy and powerful people get their noses in the trough.Australia is behind world trends in most things,so you can see what is going to happen there by looking to Europe and the US. I thought our pollies were a bit more honest,but i was wrong.The last 20 years pollie after pollie has been caught with his hand in the till and snout in the trough.When they get caught out,they just pay it back and everything is jake.They know every loophole to squeeze a dollar out of the taxpayer to pocket themselves.Not surprisingly,most of them are lawyers.Are things improving in this world,i would argue no,and it's all because of greed.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Smarter Than You said:

"Few families running the show" is indeed a very big problem here.

The Shinawatras are absolutely not one of those "old money" families.

Coups perpetuate the problem, Democracy will solve the problem.

Well i would like to think so,but have a look around the world,corruption and legal rorting everywhere.Democracy as a concept is all very good on paper until greedy and powerful people get their noses in the trough.Australia is behind world trends in most things,so you can see what is going to happen there by looking to Europe and the US. I thought our pollies were a bit more honest,but i was wrong.The last 20 years pollie after pollie has been caught with his hand in the till and snout in the trough.When they get caught out,they just pay it back and everything is jake.They know every loophole to squeeze a dollar out of the taxpayer to pocket themselves.Not surprisingly,most of them are lawyers.Are things improving in this world,i would argue no,and it's all because of greed.

12 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Thailand has a long way to go to reach Australia's level of "cleanliness".

Look to Indonesia.

Formerly a corrupt military state that is now heading in the right direction.

Google - Gecko vs Crocodile.

Again, it is not perfect, but it is heading in the right direction.

Thailand on the other hand is heading in completely the wrong direction....away from democracy and the increased openness it brings.

Australia ain't so bad, only Pauline Hanson voters buy into that crap.

On ‎5‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:05 AM, smedly said:

the next elected government can rule as long as they are doing what governments are supposed to do - represent the interests of all the people and the country and not just one person or themselves......no crime no foul

could be the first time in Thai history were an elected government actually acts like one

We often agree to disagree but in this instance I have to agree whole heartily

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

Nothing new posted here.

However,you have to agree that what Thaksin said about the charter  is correct though,don't you?  1507122.GIF

I thought I made it quite plain that IMHO Thaksin couldn't lie straight in bed.  His problem is not that the charter will prevent a government from running the country, but that it will reduce the opportunities for corruption, especially his less than subtle style.

24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"Yes, Thaksin is a convicted criminal and should most probably answer for more crimes, but what he has done has certainly been done by thousands upon thousands before - AND AFTER - him. Why the junta's focus on Thaksin? ...."

Why the junta's focus on the paymaster?  The answer is totally obvious and you know it... 

If you had bothered to read the next sentence after the quoted one I gave the answer:

"Because he cleverly used the disenfranchised masses of the North and North-East as a power base and that has absolutely terrified the old elite.
Amazing that some foreigners buy the junta propaganda!!"

Are you drunk??

Apparently it's not only the Bogeyman who thinks the charter is a folly:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/06/asia/thailand-constitution-referendum/index.html

Funny how NO Western media, TV, papers or online news, no Western government and no NGOs think this charter is a good thing. Even the Myanmar government thinks its cr@p!

It really is assuring to have a dozen or so election observers from Timor-Leste, Bhutan and Nepal make sure everything is done by the book!!!

The junta claimed that ANFREL was also welcome but ANFREL called them on their <deleted>:

http://anfrel.org/anfrel-statement-thailand-referendum-ban-on-monitoring-and-free-speech-against-international-norms-and-fair-play/

Edited by MZurf

On 05/08/2016 at 1:23 AM, Wilsonandson said:

PM voted in by who?
The D word is more appropriate. As for Thaksin he should be more worried about his sister today. Or the 280 billion baht she might be fined. The world don't care about Thailand. There seems no way to end the military rule. Fall in or fall out. The future looks bleak. Thaksin hopes for a quick turn around but who can take on a tank? Nope, nobody is interested in politics that much at the moment. Grin and bear it is whispering through the trees at the moment.

err who can take on a tank - Turkey for instance. If 1 million folk came out on the streets in Thailand as a peaceful civil protest for a restoration of democracy what would the military do - shoot them all ?

6 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

err who can take on a tank - Turkey for instance. If 1 million folk came out on the streets in Thailand as a peaceful civil protest for a restoration of democracy what would the military do - shoot them all ?

Most countries send out people with video phones, then quietly collect the leaders later.

And all of this is thanks to the abuse of thaksins govt's when they have been in power. Thanks thaksin for ruining democracy in Thailand by abusing the power to suit your agenda.

Of course thaksin did not mind supporting a previous coup a few years ago when it suited his agenda and made him billions of baht.

On 8/5/2016 at 6:19 AM, colinneil said:

Not very often do i agree with the man in Dubai, but for once his is talking sense.

You obviously have no idea of what this man's motives are. Do you ever discuss Thai politics with educated Thais?

And all of this is thanks to the abuse of thaksins govt's when they have been in power. Thanks thaksin for ruining democracy in Thailand by abusing the power to suit your agenda.

Of course thaksin did not mind supporting a previous coup a few years ago when it suited his agenda and made him billions of baht.

That's such a stupendes oversimplification. It's over the top even for you.

BTW. What do you think of this junta critizism? Are they paid by the guy in Dubai?

http://anfrel.org/anfrel-statement-thailand-referendum-ban-on-monitoring-and-free-speech-against-international-norms-and-fair-play/

You obviously have no idea of what this man's motives are. Do you ever discuss Thai politics with educated Thais?

One can agree with a statement but disagree with the motive behind it.
If you don't believe me go ask your educated Thai friends.

13 minutes ago, MZurf said:

One can agree with a statement but disagree with the motive behind it.
If you don't believe me go ask your educated Thai friends.

I sense some jealousy here. Try moving from Pattaya if you want some intellectual conversation.

Adolph Hitler said:-   “The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes”

I sense some jealousy here. Try moving from Pattaya if you want some intellectual conversation.

Adolph Hitler said:-   “The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes”

" I sense some jealousy here."

Then I suggest you have your senses checked. What you percieved as jealousy was in fact irony. Most people with a modicum of intelligence don't need to have this explained.

" Adolph Hitler said:-   “The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes”

1. And that is relevant exactly how?

2. You DO know that quoting Hitler to make a point makes you a ******?

48 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

well i do... and they are aware that all this is not about Thaksin  555  it's about 'timing'

1 hour ago, MZurf said:

" I sense some jealousy here."

Then I suggest you have your senses checked. What you percieved as jealousy was in fact irony. Most people with a modicum of intelligence don't need to have this explained.

" Adolph Hitler said:-   “The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes”

1. And that is relevant exactly how?

2. You DO know that quoting Hitler to make a point makes you a ******?

I don't know why I am replying to an arrogant rude poster like you but sometimes it is necessary. 

Can't you see the resemblance between Hitler and Taksin? Just because I agree with a quote by Hitler doesn't mean I agree with his motives. Got it yet? Duh:coffee1:

I guess you're not in Pattaya for the beautiful beach but for the stimulating, intellectual conversations to be had on Beach Road :cheesy:

4 hours ago, Johnniey said:

You seem to like to criticise most things  i post, please give it a rest it is BORING.:whistling:

20 hours ago, halloween said:

I thought I made it quite plain that IMHO Thaksin couldn't lie straight in bed.  His problem is not that the charter will prevent a government from running the country, but that it will reduce the opportunities for corruption, especially his less than subtle style.

haha, post of the year.....

Yeah the aim of the Constitution is to reduce corruption!!! You cannot actually believe that!

If they wanted to reduce corruption they could of done it with the old Constitution, by sorting out the judiciary, 'independent' organisations and how they operate, they did not need to write a new Constitution to do it. The fact that none of those agencies have been reformed means you could have death by hanging from the balls of a tall building, but its completely irrelevant as those charged with punishing those are at the very best incompetent, and many would say they might be the first hanging off the side of the building if things were done properly!......

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Yeah the aim of the Constitution is to reduce corruption!!! You cannot actually believe that!

If they wanted to reduce corruption they could of done it with the old Constitution, by sorting out the judiciary, 'independent' organisations and how they operate, they did not need to write a new Constitution to do it. The fact that none of those agencies have been reformed means you could have death by hanging from the balls of a tall building, but its completely irrelevant as those charged with punishing those are at the very best incompetent, and many would say they might be the first hanging off the side of the building if things were done properly!......

Glad you liked it Smutty. but I guess you don't see the need for major change, as Thai democracy was working SO well.

The Shins obviously thought the independent agencies were working quite well as they were, that's why the need to reduce their funding by 60%.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Glad you liked it Smutty. but I guess you don't see the need for major change, as Thai democracy was working SO well.

The Shins obviously thought the independent agencies were working quite well as they were, that's why the need to reduce their funding by 60%.