Air Strike Goes In On Jomtien Beach (I think they used Napalm)

sharecropper

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

^^ Agree. As long as they don't actually cut the trunk down, they will recover in a couple of years. I am constantly astounded how fast plants and trees grow in LOS.

that's what the blind barber said to me.... the lying bastid!

I can't speak for that particular species, but some trees are best served pruning them back to nubs.  Apparently, they grow back fuller and shadier.

Looks like crap in the short term, though.  Just like properly trimmed rose bushes.

On 8/7/2016 at 2:01 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

^^ Agree. As long as they don't actually cut the trunk down, they will recover in a couple of years. I am constantly astounded how fast plants and trees grow in LOS.

I bought two wooden poles from a neighbour for the wife to use to make a washing line,after three weeks they sprouted leaves, no joke !!

You should never "top" a tree:  Cutting back the branches of large trees to stubs, commonly referred to as topping, tipping, heading, stubbing or dehorning, is senseless and damaging to trees. Contrary to what some people may say, it is NOT good for the tree. The rapid growth which occurs after topping is NOT beneficial to your trees. Only in the rarest of occasions might it be warranted. Topping not only destroys the beauty of a tree, but makes it more vulnerable to attack by insects and diseases. The weak, crowded shoots which develop at the cuts are also very subject to breakage in the future if regular corrective pruning is not followed. In short, don't do it. You are only asking for trouble if you do. 

advice from the Missouri Botanical Garden

Yes, most will grow back but some will die.  You can see some dead old-growth trees on the beachfront--some probably died because of the addiction to topping trees.

On 8/7/2016 at 5:11 PM, impulse said:

I can't speak for that particular species, but some trees are best served pruning them back to nubs.  Apparently, they grow back fuller and shadier.

Looks like crap in the short term, though.  Just like properly trimmed rose bushes.

i used to work pruning trees. it varies from species to species but as a general rule of thumb no more than half the green matter should be removed. preferably the lower older ones so the tree can continue to catch sunlight to grow. some trees can recover from completely being pruned but only if they have the stored reserves to do so.

6 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I bought two wooden poles from a neighbour for the wife to use to make a washing line,after three weeks they sprouted leaves, no joke !!

l believe you.

l've seen surveying stakes in PapuaNewGuinea start growing.

This part of the no shade via an umbrella on the beach plan. Somebody somewhere noticed that the palms give off shade and that tourists an Farangs could use t he shade to stay cool. So Apocalypse now was used.

On 8/9/2016 at 11:38 AM, Awohalitsiktoli said:

You should never "top" a tree:  Cutting back the branches of large trees to stubs, commonly referred to as topping, tipping, heading, stubbing or dehorning, is senseless and damaging to trees. Contrary to what some people may say, it is NOT good for the tree. The rapid growth which occurs after topping is NOT beneficial to your trees. Only in the rarest of occasions might it be warranted. Topping not only destroys the beauty of a tree, but makes it more vulnerable to attack by insects and diseases. The weak, crowded shoots which develop at the cuts are also very subject to breakage in the future if regular corrective pruning is not followed. In short, don't do it. You are only asking for trouble if you do. 

advice from the Missouri Botanical Garden

Yes, most will grow back but some will die.  You can see some dead old-growth trees on the beachfront--some probably died because of the addiction to topping trees.

Is Ok Trees are different in Thailand

On 8/13/2016 at 9:58 AM, luckytrev said:

Is Ok Trees are different in Thailand

Whether in Thailand or anywhere else you should not top a tree off because it weakens the tree, making it prone to disease and insect attack.  The beach chair vendors did not need them to cut the trees down to sell chairs in the shade.  The trees already provided the necessary shade--just charge people to sit in chairs underneath the old-growth trees.  But NOOOOOOOOO, that would have been smart and easy!