"Try social media - that's best" airport police tell irate passenger after wallet stolen from Don Muang

Jonathan Fairfield

"Try social media - that's best" airport police tell irate passenger after wallet stolen from Don Muang

Screen Shot 2559-08-08 at 12.59.10 PM.png

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK:— An angry passenger who had an expensive wallet stolen from her loaded baggage claimed that Don Muang airport police told her to try social media to get something done.

This was after the airline that runs the service refused to accept responsibility for the 80,000 baht wallet missing from her bag.

So "Namwan" 23 - who said it was her first flight -  went online to register her complaints.

She had boarded flight SL 76 at Phuket on Friday and after a short delay flew to Don Muang, Bangkok. At baggage claim she saw that the security seal was broken and that a battery power bank and the wallet had been removed.

The airline was not named in the story but SL is the code for Thai Lion Air.

Namwan went to the airline office who said that they warn passengers about putting items in the hold and would not take any responsibility.

They suggested the police or contacting Phuket herself. The airport authority said it was not a problem at the Bangkok end.

Namwan claimed online that the police said: "Try social media - that's best. Get your friends to share the story. It will reach the airline concerned and show up their poor service for all to see," she wrote.

The airline later reiterated that they would not take responsibility though they said they had checked CCTV and seen nothing untoward.

Namwan would not let it rest and told reporters: "It happened to a friend recently too. It was not a fake designer wallet but a real one.

We buy nice things and when thieves rifle through our bags nothing can be done about it. What does that tell you about the airline?"

She said it was her first time flying and she had been in a rush.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-06

The cost of 80,000 baht wallet is almost equivalent to the price of a 3 baht gold chain. 

Will she keep her gold chain (if she has one) costing 80,000 baht in her bag for checking in ?

Common sense does not prevail here.

.....the scum that work at the airports....and still don't get enough....

...and of course nobody is responsible....

...if the airports do not take action against thieves that work for them....they are condoning crime.....

...wow.....

Namwan is a very rich 23 year old girl. After researching the Thai social media on this article I found her facebook page. No restrictions. I found a picture of her wallet that has been stolen. Then I searched the web for a similar wallet. Here's what I found. An identical match. Someone is selling an identical wallet on ebay. Whether it's the stolen wallet, not sure. What do you think?

1470648484563.thumb.jpg.ce97c45a8f49753d1470648515272.thumb.jpg.94abada4be477e55

Namwan is a very rich 23 year old girl. After researching the Thai social media on this article I found her facebook page. No restrictions. I found a picture of her wallet that has been stolen. Then I searched the web for a similar wallet. Here's what I found. An identical match. Someone is selling an identical wallet on ebay. Whether it's the stolen wallet, not sure. What do you think?

1470648484563.thumb.jpg.ce97c45a8f49753d46487a0211d902bb.jpg1470648515272.thumb.jpg.94abada4be477e55888e87408934e5ad.jpg

Yes. They only made one of that model so it must be the one.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

Who will fly lion air if she can afford 80k baht wallets?

One might fly Lion Air so that they can afford 80k wallets.

Many millionaires fly economy and have older cars. Stupid? Hardly. It's part of what makes them wealthy.

8 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Many millionaires fly economy and have older cars. Stupid? Hardly. It's part of what makes them wealthy.

You caught me. I am rich. I have no car at all. Even my TV is 6 years old but I have a young g/f who I pamper and spoil with gold and diamonds.  

Edited by elgordo38

You caught me. I am rich. I have no car at all. Even my TV is 6 years old but I have a young g/f who I pamper and spoil with gold and diamonds.  

No her husband is a young man and by the look of her mobile uploads she can easily afford to miss one wallet. But why not look yourself.
Her name is Irinnana Clm.

"We buy nice things and when thieves rifle through our bags nothing can be done about it. What does that tell you about the airline?" And what does it tell you about someone stupid enough to put a claimed 80,000 baht item in her check-in luggage. Anyway, it's a lot of nonsense, as a posting above shows the REAL value of the wallet.

4 hours ago, Smiles said:

The cost of 80,000 baht wallet is almost equivalent to the price of a 3 baht gold chain. 

Will she keep her gold chain (if she has one) costing 80,000 baht in her bag for checking in ?

You really think putting valuables in your checked baggage is the point? When you cannot check your bag without it being rifled, that is the point.

You really think putting valuables in your checked baggage is the point? When you cannot check your bag without it being rifled, that is the point.

It pays to be cautious.

Would you tell your girl to walk a dark alley by herself just because rape is against the law and shouldn't happen?

Of course not.

Just now, JJGreen said:

It pays to be cautious.

Would you tell your girl to walk a dark alley by herself just because rape is against the law and shouldn't happen?

Of course not.

So, now you're equating checking your baggage with walking alone in a dark alley?  Apples or screwdrivers anyone?

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

I'm hearing ya but modesty with wealth is generally not the norm in Thailand and for the young not sure.

2 hours ago, JJGreen said:

I am recommending caution nd avoidance before the fact rather than outrage after

Ah, good idea, caution for not going into a dark alley and avoid checking baggage. That would certainly take care of the problem.  

Ah, good idea, caution for not going into a dark alley and avoid checking baggage. That would certainly take care of the problem.  

just avoid putting gold and cash into checked baggage

Avoid the risk. Avoid the problem

so so so easy.

Some people create their own drama

3 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

just avoid putting gold and cash into checked baggage

Avoid the risk. Avoid the problem

so so so easy.

Some people create their own drama

You checked "Like" on my first post on this subject--did you not understand it? 

I am bothered by the facts: 1)  you can check your bags and they may be rifled--no matter what you put in them. You go to the airline, 2) they deny all responsibility and tell you not to put valuables in your bags--my clothes are valuable to me, in fact anything I would lug around and wait for is valuable to me. Then, you go to the police and 3) they say put it out on social media.  What a bunch of crap. 

Now, to clarify so you do not get further confused, I am neither suggesting putting gold in my bags nor having my girl walk alone down a dark alley. And,  I most certainly am not advocating spitting into the wind.

You checked "Like" on my first post on this subject--did you not understand it? 

I am bothered by the facts: 1)  you can check your bags and they may be rifled--no matter what you put in them. You go to the airline, 2) they deny all responsibility and tell you not to put valuables in your bags--my clothes are valuable to me, in fact anything I would lug around and wait for is valuable to me. Then, you go to the police and 3) they say put it out on social media.  What a bunch of crap. 

Now, to clarify so you do not get further confused, I am neither suggesting putting gold in my bags nor having my girl walk alone down a dark alley. And,  I most certainly am not advocating spitting into the wind.

jeez dude...did u make 71 without a heart attack?

U seriously saying your clothes are your most valuable asset?
A gang of thai baggage thieves rifling through luggage for wife beaters and flip-flops?

Just now, JJGreen said:

A gang of thai baggage thieves rifling through luggage for wife beaters and flip-flops?

1 minute ago, JJGreen said:

Don't you ever get tired of jumping to conclusions and being wrong?

Try real hard now and explain where you see I said my most valuable assets are my clothes?  I know it may be difficult, but try. 

Don't you ever get tired of jumping to conclusions and being wrong?

Try real hard now and explain where you see I said my most valuable assets are my clothes?  I know it may be difficult, but try. 

U said your clothes are valuable to you.

I naturally assumed that your clothes must be worth a lot to you if u mentioned it.

Just saying...i doubt the baggage gangs will be targetting some farangs oversize clothes

Interesting suggestion by the 'police', if she shames the airline too much online then she'll end up getting sued! At least the 'officer' was somewhat honest that they aren't going to / aren't able to / can't be bothered helping...

9 hours ago, Smiles said:

I am stupid.

Please explain the maths to me.

80,000 = 3 ?

It is the principle of it.  Someone has been going through a passengers luggage, and that could also happen to you and me.

That "someone" will take out what is of either value to that person or whatever comes in handy. That could even be a jar of jam you wanted to give to someone and you put in the checked luggage. 

I agree that one should not put valuable items in checked luggage, but also about luggage in general not being opened by unauthorized persons . A theft is a theft and an airline should act upon that.

26 minutes ago, BlindMagician said:

I am stupid.

Please explain the maths to me.

80,000 = 3 ?

the term Baht, s also used by the Thais as a unit of mass, for gold, just like we'd use Pounds, and ounces.

Google explains it fully... otherwise, using:

Pounds vs Ounces

Pounds vs Dollars

Batu vs Mile etc etc

would turn this into a language Post

Edited by tifino

4 hours ago, tifino said:

the term Baht, s also used by the Thais as a unit of mass, for gold, just like we'd use Pounds, and ounces.

Google explains it fully... otherwise, using:

Pounds vs Ounces

Pounds vs Dollars

Batu vs Mile etc etc

would turn this into a language Post

Good point sir.

Let's invent a new system, less confusing, standardised, international, scientific...sounds good?

"Try social media - that's best. Get your friends to share the story. It will reach the airline concerned and show up their poor service for all to see,"

Translation: "talk to the hand"

If someone can afford US$2,500 for a wallet surely they can afford another.  On the other hand maybe there was no expensive wallet in the bag and the broken seal presented an opportunity of an insurance claim.

But in this day and age of enhanced security etc shouldn't the sight of a broken seal as such trigger suspicion of the possibility something was put into the bag? 

duct.jpg

Here's a secured checked bag from a trip to Indonesia a few years ago.