Thailand is the world’s least miserable economy for 2016

webfact

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

I'm never quite sure where their inflation figures are derived from as everything I buy seems to rise in price constantly. 

And as for the unemployment level.................

Happiness has been returned to the people, officially.

One year ago i bought a packet of Ginger Nut biscuits in a large supermarket for Bht 65.   Yesterday the same product was on the shelf for Bht 160...................Inflation is running crazy !

Wow---its a wonder that there is any tin-foil  left in the shops,

So Now this is a plot put out by Blomberg...or the Mafia....or TAT    I lose track of the madness

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-07/world-s-least-miserable-live-in-asia-thanks-to-disinflation

Of course it causes much angst among the people that came here hopping that the great unwashed would stay just that way.......poor, barefoot and really grateful for any crumbs the great white farang would throw their way...and now with last weeks news That Thailand has overtaken the UK --Russia--Italy etc to become the 12th largest car manufacturer in the world. & is projected to overtake France & Canada this year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry

Of course one cant believe reports like that, because there put out by the people (Honda Toyota etc) that actually own the cars........so their probably part of the great Thailand plot as well.

**btw (of topic a little) when I was a kid in the 50s we used to get sent to  an Aunts place in London, while our parents done extra land work during their summer holidays, to make ends meet... we'd eat our sandwiches  in Highgate Cemetery,   the cold war full on then and the newspapers ranting everyday, about --anyone who dared ask for better working conditions or liveable wages--then its all a plot---go on strike----its just a Russian plot--when I would ask her if it was true , she would point over to Karl Marx's Grave, and say...."There's the only communist plot I know of around here son"

10 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

Who thinks up this bullshit.  Thailand really is a third world country with massive unemployment, a failing economy with an unelected self appointed government where its population are not allowed to meet in groups and debate the political situation for fear of arrest. And a hotbed of corruption at all levels.

Where do you get massive unemployment from? Ask any business owner, everyone will tell you there is a shortage of workers....

1 hour ago, Tonawatchee said:

If that statement is true, where then are all the smiles. The entire kingdom should just be one big happy face.

The measure employed by this survey did not consider the level and degree people live beyond their means. That is the heart of contentment and smiles...

2 minutes ago, mike324 said:

Where do you get massive unemployment from? Ask any business owner, everyone will tell you there is a shortage of workers....

I only know a couple of people who have a business and their main problems is getting workers to stay.

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

It is estimated there are 500.000 food seller in Bangkok alone. Most of them do this because they are not qualified to get a real job and they are also not qualified to claim unemployment money. The same applies to hundreds of thousand motorbike taxi jockeys and over 100.000 official sex worker in the country. And Bloomberg's statistician count these people as 'not unemployed'? It looks like they are applying for a contract to become the spin doctors for North Korea. 

Food Sellers and Motorcycle taxi are self employed. The all make more the the 350 bt/day minimum. And officially there are no sex workers in Thailand. As it is illegal. But the girls still make more then 350 bt/day.

I sure if you live in Thailand you have used some of the above services; if not all ? Business as usual.

most of the times, I see Gov. reports that Thai economic condition is getting better but in the reality is plunging downwards.  As you all'd see the import balance is negative and relies on the purchasing power from inside the country only. 

Thai people should stop spending on cars and luxury products and pilling up  more debts. 

5 hours ago, Rorri said:

Considering if you do one days work, in your own paddy, you are considered "employed" hard to consider this in any reliable unemployed  stats, but hey, this is Thailand where lies before truth reign supreme. What's wrong with a white lie when it makes people feel better, and makes Thailand a laughing joke, oop makes Thailand look better, than it really is.

Better than Australia,1 hour/week and your employed.

5 hours ago, clockman said:

As a former minister said, white lies are ok!

Because anything white is goooood. Really now. Is this coming directly from the Tourism Ministry? Or from the little man? Is this really a Bloomberg survey? Somehow I find that a little far fetched. Granted unemployment is fairly low here. But I hear hotels, restaurants, travel agencies, massage shops, and so many other tourist related businesses complaining. All say business is down, year on year. And last year was a dreadful year for the industry. Exports are down. Car sales are down. So, where exactly are the bright spots? 

The little man continues to do an exemplary job of running the economy into the ground, and making the country less appealing to outsiders and investors. So, again I ask. Is there any truth to this survey, or is it just more muckety muck? 

7 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

so in reality it is just the Thai mathematics that is least miserable, as no actual humans wre asked!

This term is the new normal. Less miserable, less broke/bankrupt, less happy, less rich, less married, less sex to a more or lesser degree. We live in a world of lesser's not morsers. 

2 hours ago, Tonawatchee said:

If that statement is true, where then are all the smiles. The entire kingdom should just be one big happy face.

Far from a 'ringing endorsement,' least miserable, still means, miserable. Only the truly strong can 'keep up appearances,' under such conditions.

Headline:

Thailand is the world’s least miserable economy for 2016

Translated this means that Thailand has a miserable economy but it is not as miserable as some other economies in the world.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Because anything white is goooood. Really now. Is this coming directly from the Tourism Ministry? Or from the little man? Is this really a Bloomberg survey? Somehow I find that a little far fetched. Granted unemployment is fairly low here. But I hear hotels, restaurants, travel agencies, massage shops, and so many other tourist related businesses complaining. All say business is down, year on year. And last year was a dreadful year for the industry. Exports are down. Car sales are down. So, where exactly are the bright spots? 

The little man continues to do an exemplary job of running the economy into the ground, and making the country less appealing to outsiders and investors. So, again I ask. Is there any truth to this survey, or is it just more muckety muck? 

Clockman was referencing Yinglucks deputy minister / finance minister back in the day.He said he needed to lie about the figures to create good feelings and that lying was ok. Go have a read at the link below if you missed the news - Thai politicians say the stupidest things in public and think its ok - thick face.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Kittiratts-white-lie-will-put-govt-claims-in-doubt-30189085.html

Business is bad...but thats because of the world economy. People wonder why there are still shortage given such bad business, the fact is that over the years Thailands manufacturing sector has been growing faster than there are competent / high skill workers. There is a shortage of all types of workers - Thais no longer want to work factory jobs, yet there are not enough to fill jobs that require special skills. Most low skill Thais want to work at malls / restaurants where there are AC and many times nobody to watch over their shoulders.

Go into any department store & you will discover why the unemployment rate is so low.... wall to wall assistants everywhere, bare in mind the guys are usually chatting to each other whilst the girls are mostly reapplying their make-up most of the time...

When you actually take an item, like a shirt, to the counter you will often find several helpers at the register, one takes the item from you & checks the label, passing it to the next, who removes the coat - hanger & you guessed it, passes it to someone else who checks the scanning code before it's passed on to the actual check out person who scans the label & either asks for the amount or puts the figure on an oversized calculator ( which may be used later in the transaction to ensure the correct change is given ????) then a further helper will fold the shirt & bag it before handing it to you...... so 5 or 6 people are gainfully employed for each transaction !

Now, think of the number of stores throughout Thailand....BINGO !!!!!!

CANDA. 

2016 is only just over half way through, so who compile these figures?

Oh, sorry - it's the same numbskull who made this statement:-

"The UK ranks the 17th least miserable country while the US is ranked the 17th with China being placed on the 23rd spot".

11 hours ago, PatOngo said:

...........and they all smiled and said "Yessss".

11 hours ago, PatOngo said:

...........and they all smiled and said "Yessss".

..........and you grimaced and said "Ah, I hate it when Thailand prooves me an idiot".

9 hours ago, does said:

Oh no! The Thailand bashers will be out in force.

That's a lot like accusing you of being a wife-basher if you happen to notice that your wife is lazy.

Not *you* you, of course, I'm sure you would never beat your wife, even though it's a registered sport in Thailand. I meant you in the sense of someone not in particular. If you follow what I was trying not to mean at all. In any sense.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu
corrected punctuation so that what I think I was trying to mean poorly was expressed better. Or at least not so worse. I'm sure you can easily agree with me.

6 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Am I right in thinking that there's probably no unemployment benefit so why would anyone bother to register?

Which would suggest that the near-zero unemployment figure may actually be accurate, whilst of course completely misleading.

In my village the able-bodied people between, say, 15 and 60 would be mostly either unemployed with no visible means of support or at least 50% UNDERemployed (ie odd-jobbers).

You are not right in your thinking.

2 hours ago, mankondang said:

..........and you grimaced and said "Ah, I hate it when Thailand prooves me an idiot".

There's a novel concept. Thailand proving a westerner is an idiot.

No wait. Did you really mean to write that?

Winnie

6 hours ago, canda said:

Go into any department store & you will discover why the unemployment rate is so low.... wall to wall assistants everywhere, bare in mind the guys are usually chatting to each other whilst the girls are mostly reapplying their make-up most of the time...

When you actually take an item, like a shirt, to the counter you will often find several helpers at the register, one takes the item from you & checks the label, passing it to the next, who removes the coat - hanger & you guessed it, passes it to someone else who checks the scanning code before it's passed on to the actual check out person who scans the label & either asks for the amount or puts the figure on an oversized calculator ( which may be used later in the transaction to ensure the correct change is given ????) then a further helper will fold the shirt & bag it before handing it to you...... so 5 or 6 people are gainfully employed for each transaction !

Now, think of the number of stores throughout Thailand....BINGO !!!!!!

CANDA. 

"Same Same..."  in PI.

17 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

so in reality it is just the Thai mathematics that is least miserable, as no actual humans wre asked!

The mathematics must be right because it is reported that "The UK ranks the 17th least miserable country while the US is ranked the 17th..."  Therefore the mathematics cannot lie if both are ranked the same without any further statement to confirm they are at the same level, such as saying "along with" or some such qualifying statement.