Some help needed with sending money out of Thailand.

I have been living in Thailand for 10 years and every 6 months i send around 250,000 baht to my mother in the UK to help support her. Last year i was doing this by just walking into my local branch of Kasikorn and transferring direct from my account. I had to state the reason and show my passport and this transfer was always done without any further documentation required or the need to show my work permit.

This year though Kasikorn Bank is insisting that i show a work permit before they will allow the transfer. Unfortunatley I am no longer working and my work permit expired last year. I do have a Paypal account (in Thai baht linked to a Thai account) with the balance to cover the transfer amount (my account is verified and states there is no sending limit) My questions are as follows:

1. Can I really bypass all the paper work requirements of transferring out of Thailand if I use my Paypal account to transfer money to the UK

2. I have checked the fees on the Paypal site and it appears that there is a fee of 1% (transferring from Thailand to UK) does anyone know if this is correct?

3. My mother does not yet have a Paypal account but if she opens one and verifies it I guess the currency will be in UK pounds (will i get hammered by Paypal on the exchange rate conversion?) Anyone know the page i can look up for the exchange rates on Paypal.

Any help much appreciated!

Your bank has given you bad information, you don't need a WP to send money overseas, you just need to prove it was earned in Thailand under a WP OR it was remitted to Thailand in the first place, in foreign currency,  from overseas. I strongly suggest you talk to a different person at the bank and/or speak with Head Office.

Hello chiang mai

Thanks for the info. Yes the money was earned while i was under employment in Thailand with the work permit. The bank did ask me to provide the correct paper to show the money was eared from my employment in Thailand. I did ask my accountant for this form but said they could not obtain it as i am not working any more.

Do you know the name of the paper i require to show the money was earned in Thailand? Do you think my accountant was just being lazy when they said they can no longer obtain the form?

You might try giving them copies of your Thai income tax returns. While they don't provide conclusive proof, they do offer an indication of how much you might have saved. I did that once, for a different purpose. In my case, I was demonstrating that I earned enough that I had been able to save enough to qualify for a retirement visa.   

On 09/08/2016 at 10:45 AM, fishstick said:

Hello chiang mai

Thanks for the info. Yes the money was earned while i was under employment in Thailand with the work permit. The bank did ask me to provide the correct paper to show the money was eared from my employment in Thailand. I did ask my accountant for this form but said they could not obtain it as i am not working any more.

Do you know the name of the paper i require to show the money was earned in Thailand? Do you think my accountant was just being lazy when they said they can no longer obtain the form?

Sorry I don't know the name of the paper you need but yes, almost certainly your accountant is being lazy by not even trying to confirm that the funds were earned in Thailand under a WP. Let's face it, either the money was earned here or it was brought here from overseas, in either case the funds are eligible for transfer back overseas again. As another poster has suggested, perhaps your tax return is part of the answer, if it were me I would hold my accountants feet to the fire and make him produce the paperwork that s needed.

I would suggest a copy of your PND91. If you are in Bangkok you can get copies from the main revenue office near BTS Ari. If you or your accountant used E-filing go to the top floor of the tallest tower block to the E-filing floor. You will need your passport, a copy of the data page and your tax ID number.

If you don't speak Thai take someone with you. The application form is in Thai.

Each copy costs 12 baht. You can get copies for previous years all at the same time.

If you didn't use E-filing I can't offer any advice as I have no experience - however I don't believe it would be too difficult to sort out.