Plan to track all foreigners - NOT JUST TOURISTS - by SIM cards moves forward

webfact

OMG!! - we are going to become the latest Pokemon GO characters

and the system will forever be none the wiser why falangs become victims of game-carrying motorists

Soylent Green is People

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foreigners working in Thailand would not be required to have the SIM cards as they already have to register their details with authorities, Takorn said.

Since last year, foreigners who work in Thailand have to show their passports before obtaining pay-as-you-go SIM cards or mobile phone contracts.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Thailand-mulls-location-tracking-tourist-SIM-cards-30292551.html

I got news for them- I am not eorking in Thailand and thus have no need for a work permit. I have already registered my cell phone as required and have shown my passport and so has every other  foreigner and every Thai person. The real problem is that those who break the law or  remain under the radar will use a throwaway cell in someone else's name or enter the country illegally and never abide by any  law. that's why they are called criminals. The minister might want to ask the police why they don't police the openly criminal activities that take place daily and are well know .

Just now, chiang mai said:

Track me all you want, why should I care, I'm not doing anything illegal or even remotely dodgy, where's the beef!

They already do that, what I object to is being told I have to use their SIM card. They can go and copulate themselves.

So would this negate the need for 90 day reporting as the powers-that-be will know where we are all the time anyway? Of course it wouldn't, in fact you will probably have to display your SIM any time you go to Immigration for anything: no SIM, no extensions.

Actually I reckon this idea will be presented to the Government who will for once use some common sense, realise it is unimplementable and we'll never hear about it again.

There again.....................

I've read The Nation's article and they talk about tracking those on the run or those on overstay. Now, unless these "criminals" are extremely dumb, the first thing they'll do is dump the Sim card. Isn't it?

Edited by madmitch

5 hours ago, waldroj said:

A word of caution!

Before we all get too excited about this post, I can't seem to find any other sources (other than Khaosod English) running this story.

Whilst I'm not suggesting they're telling porkies, I'd believe it more if there was supporting evidence from other "reputable" sources!

porkies.jpg

Try BKK Post.

Just now, Chicog said:

They already do that, what I object to is being told I have to use their SIM card. They can go and copulate themselves.

If it turns out to be a dual pricing issue I will have a problem with that which is easily overcome., if it looks like it's something more sinister, aka privacy of data/call that too is easily overcome.

It just gets more and more stupid (and I thought I had already scrapped the bottom of the barrel)

"The country’s Ministry of Social Development and Human Security has backed the plan.

"It will be helpful if any foreigner comes and commit crimes because in the past they have been able to flee or it can be difficult to find them," ministry official Pongsathorn Chansri said. "

A criminal commits a crime but keeps the SIM card in his phone because it would be a crime if he/she didn't. Yeah, right.

It's true, dtac , Ais feeding the pockets of the government. Who got the shaft when they required id for a simcard? Foreigners. You could get a prepaid sim for 99 baht which included a 50 baht load. No one was buying their Happy Tourist Simcards.Now a tourist Sim costs 299 baht. Ridiculous. Now this bright idea to increase the telecommunications sectors profits by large data streams sucking the life out of your 100 baht topup within minutes. Thais will not be effected. The telecommunications sector finally found a way to quadruple price foreigners and join the rest of retailers here. 

Edited by Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere
My brain fact 2

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Yes, this sounds like another 'plan' that will never be implemented.

That is not the problem. The problem is that they are even considering it. It shows a mindset that has total disregard for human rights. In BKK Post they also reported that it is been done for national security purposes, which means that they consider foreigners as a national security threat.

Seems to me all these anti-farang measures the Thai authorities keep cooking up are just making tons of extra work and expense and headaches for themselves. Like all the staff and paperwork tied up daily around the nation to deal with the ridiculous 90 day reporting.

Has anyone with half a brian really thought through this sim card idea? The expense, the logistics, and how it's going to be enforced? Will it become illegal for a foreigner not to own a mobile phone? Where will these sims be issued?...at the airports upon arrival?...so what if the foreigner doesn't carry a mobile, will they have to proceed immediately to the duty free shop and purchase a mobile before being stamped into the Kingdom? What if the foriegner has a mobile with this sim but just switches the mobile off, will that be illegal too? Foreigners mobiles are stolen daily by Thais, so will the police stations be full of foreigners reporting theft of their mobiles with these special sims? Anyone with half a brain can see this turning into a nightmare for the Thais themselves.

4 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

That is not the problem. The problem is that they are even considering it. It shows a mindset that has total disregard for human rights. In BKK Post they also reported that it is been done for national security purposes, which means that they consider foreigners as a national security threat.

And you never knew those things before you came here, goodness me!

7 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Track me all you want, why should I care, I'm not doing anything illegal or even remotely dodgy, where's the beef!

Well aren't you a saint. Why not have the police move into the spare room...? 

18 minutes ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

Here is a better solution: Just kick out ALL foreigners and bar ALL foreigners from coming here. That should collapse the economy, eliminate  corruption, and raise the price of Mama Noodles. 

They're working on it. The writing has been on the wall since the mid 2000s. Step by step they will be squeezing people without the skills or money to 'benefit' Thailand right out of there with few exceptions....

I expect it will be a multi-pronged attack :fight:

not just the function of the SIM, but also an embedded RFID, possibly also bluetooth enabling

for example here I am using the phone on wifi only, without 2/3/or 4G enabled

- RFID and Bluetooth might still be activated by their stealth methods

Do something particular online, which the LOS admin/junta doesn't like: even using your own SIM from the moment you leave the airport

- what about that they can utilise the IMEI reference to find who you are, from your International origins

Maybe? if you try to transmit from your phone, but not using their SIM, could your phone be remotely disabled from continuation of service

i.e Remote Disable via the PUK

Remember!! any phone can be remotely disabled via the Service Provider, of whatever SIM is in your phone.

I'd prefer to use an old 2G phone, without GPS

- but it isn't your exact location which they really expect to find - they just want to know what activity you are up to on your mobile phone

- especially Internet usage.

Internet Usage can be compiled /extracted, and considering the SIM/PUK/IMEI are all something the system can avail itself of...

- beware when you finally get to the airport, and expected to be able to board the plane :redcard1:

If you think that you could simply receive their SIM, and then switch over to and use your own, in SIM2 slot:

- the same problem occurs that SIM2 is registered to the phone, or you, therefore able to be traced via you home country provider's system.

- using your own domestic SIM, say on a pre-pay arrangement, you can still be tracked eventually, as would need some form of financially topping your own SIM up

I think we're stuffed

and to top it all off - you'll be breaking their law, if you commit a crime, and don't have your phone ON, and on you

Edited by tifino

3 minutes ago, Merylhighground said:

Well aren't you a saint. Why not have the police move into the spare room...? 

They're working on it. The writing has been on the wall since the mid 2000s. Step by step they will be squeezing people without the skills or money to 'benefit' Thailand right out of there with few exceptions....

No need, my immediate neighbour is the third most senior policeman in Northern Thailand, I bought my house from him, lovely man with a great family.

BTW the thread/subject is a wind up, if only you didn't realize!

Edited by chiang mai

Lets look at this proposal from another angle.

This would involve establishing a whole new agency or department to operate. With this agency would come a large budget. a lot of procurement of IT equipment, and a significant number of jobs. The benefits of managing a large budget go without saying. The same for major procurement projects. The jobs will be government jobs and therefore much sought after, (job security, pensions, health care, easy credit terms etc). Being in a position of influence in an organisation which can offer such jobs  brings immense power of patronage. Patronage is lucrative. All told the scheme has great potential for any number of "wise investments" at a number of levels.

It really doesn't matter whether or not the system can be made to work, ( it won't), once established it will, as with so many other government operations, develop its own inertia. There will be no audit of its effectiveness or any nonsense like that. It's just another carriage to be added to the gravy train.

2 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I spoke to a Government official back in 2003 who told me "you won't be allowed to live here after 2010". 

Right out of the horse's mouth. 

It is 6 years later, and we are still living here, so the horse was incorrect.

4 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

Be happy, the government will buy us a brand new Samsung xyz.

I will "gift" it to the housekeepers nephew. He likes to trail bike at night in the middle of the boonies. They can have fun trying to catch him and don't envy them when they do; you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of him.

3 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I spoke to a Government official back in 2003 who told me "you won't be allowed to live here after 2010". 

Right out of the horse's mouth. 

Well he got that wrong, didn't he!

16 minutes ago, TSF said:

Seems to me all these anti-farang measures the Thai authorities keep cooking up are just making tons of extra work and expense and headaches for themselves. Like all the staff and paperwork tied up daily around the nation to deal with the ridiculous 90 day reporting.

Has anyone with half a brian really thought through this sim card idea? The expense, the logistics, and how it's going to be enforced? Will it become illegal for a foreigner not to own a mobile phone? Where will these sims be issued?...at the airports upon arrival?...so what if the foreigner doesn't carry a mobile, will they have to proceed immediately to the duty free shop and purchase a mobile before being stamped into the Kingdom? What if the foriegner has a mobile with this sim but just switches the mobile off, will that be illegal too? Foreigners mobiles are stolen daily by Thais, so will the police stations be full of foreigners reporting theft of their mobiles with these special sims? Anyone with half a brain can see this turning into a nightmare for the Thais themselves.

: Has anyone with half a brian......"

You do realise we are talking about Thailand?

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

You think a would be terrorist would bother to save on a couple of thousand baht?

Also, how old are you that you actually still make calls on your phone instead of using apps like Line, Whatsapp etc? And do you realise that even on a foreign sim card, 3G internet access a day is only about 300-400 baht?

So, once again, how would you compel a tourist to purchase a sim card? How would you implement such a poorly thought out plan?

You seem to miss the point that a terrorist with a foreign sim card has to use the local phone ( 3G/4G) network to use his Line, Whatsapp.

Edited by Berty100