Plan to track all foreigners - NOT JUST TOURISTS - by SIM cards moves forward

webfact

5 hours ago, autanic said:

I have just had an idea. 

A moment of clarity it would seem.

Why not just go along with it. Accept the Sim Card use it and play the game, the way you should. I mean at the end of the day, who care if you can be tracked by sim card, who cares if they are listening to your phone calls and who cares if your emails and internet posts are being monitored.

My point is 99% of people visiting Thailand will do so, have a great time and leave.

What do we really care if the listen in on a call to Mum saying "hey i'm having a great time, slept with a Ladyboy last night and loved it".

Lets put things in perspective.

A specious comment. Sounds like you're leading "the charge" for erosion of personal privacy?

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/11/2016 at 9:35 PM, sezze said:

100% true , and i do not mean the company .

It doesn't matter that they cannot track every movement of the foreigner , or that you throw it at the bin or whatever . It is just a basic tax you have to pay . When you enter the country , together with your stamp , you WILL get a sim card , in which you DO have to pay for . Calls and internet WILL be more expensive ( if you choose to use it , otherwise you need somebody to register a Thai to register the card for you ) .

If you register the card at Thais name , you will change phonenr's many times as you will probably need to register the nr again every few months .

Phonecompanies are probably very happy .

Now i do not know but maybe this has also something to do with putting Thaksin out of play , since he is the owner of the biggest Thai telephone company . By this , he owns extra cash , and he is happy .... ... just a wild guess ??

Since 2006 AIS is very much a Singapore company controlled by Tamasek a GLC that controls many mobile operators.

I wonder when the authorities will figure out that many foreigners have their current SIMs registered in the name of a Thai and what will the reaction be  ?

I suppose the usual statement that they   '  face being charged  '  with something or other.

Hmmmmm. If the authorities really want to track me they'll be extremely bored. They already know where I live and next time I have to fill out one of those snooper forms I'll be informing them that the place I go to most often is Big C, which is true.

What's all the fuss about anyway? Some nerd already reads all our e mails if they feel bored, same with every phone conversation we make. Everything we commit to electronic communication, including everything we write on TV is stored and when we walk about in places like London we are on candid camera, all the time. If anyone assumes they are safe from the authorities anywhere, I have a bridge for sale.

On 8/12/2016 at 2:33 AM, JayBeeee said:

Well, that was short-lived; they seem to have backed down already! Another mindless mouth going off half-cocked!

Sort of sums up the last 20 pages of righteous indignation! :w00t:

Edited by Psimbo

16 hours ago, digibum said:

Uhm, unless foreigners were responsible for the recent bomb attacks, you might want to put a little more time and effort into figuring out how to track Thais first before jumping up to the big leagues and tracking foreigners.  All those bombs were detonated with cell phones if I'm not mistaken.  

Using MALAYSIAN SIM cards.

On 8/11/2016 at 7:24 AM, tuonsai said:

This stuff is truly scary, I feel sorry for you guys who invested a lot in Thailand.

i feel truly sorry for anybody who believes that this cràp² will ever be implemented :gigglem:

4 hours ago, Naam said:

i feel truly sorry for anybody who believes that this cràp² will ever be implemented :gigglem:

I feel truly sorry for anybody who believes that this isn't a concerning trend.  Whether they implement this particular invasion of privacy, the writing is on the wall in terms of what they want.  

Let's not forget this comes after a proposal to create a Chinese-like firewall so they could monitor and control access to the internet.  What was that, a year, year and a half ago?   I don't remember.  

It's like that thing about putting a frog in water and then slowly raising the heat.  The Thai government just found out they raised the temp too quick.  So they'll dial this one back and they'll take away some freedom or privacy somewhere else that gets less friction. 

May i remind folks on here, that you have options.

I hear a lot about how people are being forced and the loss of freedom etc etc.

There are over 200 Counties in the world, where they can choose to live, visit and travel, Thailand  as beautiful as it is and attractive in terms of females etc etc, is but one of those Countires.  You can choose not to submit yourself to being tracked  by simply not visiting Thailand.  

My point is this, if you do choose to visit the Kingdom, then you are required to follow their laws and regulations, even if you disagree with them, you cannot cherry pick, which ones you like and which ones you dont.

When in Saudi Arabia, I cannot drink alcohol the way I would wish, so I choose not to visit Saudi Arabia.  See how simply it is, it is called Personal Choice, a freedom available to all 

Personally, I think there is a Chickens Chance in Thailand, chance that they  an track 30 million people a year. but thats just my Professional technical mind speaking.  I am talking about the  choice you have and the responsibility you have to the Country you Choose to  all home or holiday in.

Personally I think the TV licence in the UK is a waste of money and does nothing for the payee apart from criminalise people for failure to pay the wages of overpaid celebrities ( and thats me being nice).

However I choose to live in the UK for 11 months of the year, so I must abide by the laws of that Country.  if I don't like it, then I can choose to live elsewhere, plenty of other peope have.

Edited by autanic

On 8/14/2016 at 1:27 AM, autanic said:

I have just had an idea. 

A moment of clarity it would seem.

Why not just go along with it. Accept the Sim Card use it and play the game, the way you should. I mean at the end of the day, who care if you can be tracked by sim card, who cares if they are listening to your phone calls and who cares if your emails and internet posts are being monitored.

My point is 99% of people visiting Thailand will do so, have a great time and leave.

What do we really care if the listen in on a call to Mum saying "hey i'm having a great time, slept with a Ladyboy last night and loved it".

Lets put things in perspective.

we will have no choice but to play the game,  i just love to know how the hell they are going to police this ridiculous sim card system,

Tourists are two week millionaires, what about the expats live here all year round,

and why only foreigners if you going to do this then include indiginous people too

To treat a minority people who contribute to the economy like criminals (same as tagging in the UK) is deplorable, trying to follow our every move demanding that we give our bank account numbers, where we stay, where we socialize our next of kin,

and now sim card tracking,

what other intrusions will the totally insecure nation do to make us feel unwelcome

do they really think that foreigners cause all the problems here 

Thailand should get there own house in order before persecuting 

people who contribute at least 10% to there economy

Edited by dieseldave1951

On the negative side,  total waste of money and will not work , who comes up with these ideas ? Who is going to foot the bill. 20 million plus people a year, coming to the country  ?

And how many holiday makers who don't want there privacy invaded ,wont come.

On the positive side,  I how ever as a retied person living here , would be quite happy to have a simcard  like this , I have nothing to hide ,and can see benefits for me having one , in case of sickness or an accident ,the sim could be linked to medical services gps tracking systems , or even have a registration system you could request to be put on , this would be,  some thing people would benefit from.

Edited by shan777

10 hours ago, autanic said:

You have the right NOT to come to Thailand. There preserving your freedom and privacy.

And you have no care for others rights of freedom and privacy? That's your choice but I do care about other peoples right to freedom and privacy. I am not being self-centered, like some, on this one.

And I did spend many years in the Armed Forces where we were or may have been called upon to fight for others freedoms. And many sacrificed for your right to be selfish.

Have a nice day. 

"For those that have fought for it, Freedom has a flavour the protected shall never know."

20 hours ago, autanic said:

May i remind folks on here, that you have options.

I hear a lot about how people are being forced and the loss of freedom etc etc.

There are over 200 Counties in the world, where they can choose to live, visit and travel, Thailand  as beautiful as it is and attractive in terms of females etc etc, is but one of those Countires.  You can choose not to submit yourself to being tracked  by simply not visiting Thailand.  

My point is this, if you do choose to visit the Kingdom, then you are required to follow their laws and regulations, even if you disagree with them, you cannot cherry pick, which ones you like and which ones you dont.

When in Saudi Arabia, I cannot drink alcohol the way I would wish, so I choose not to visit Saudi Arabia.  See how simply it is, it is called Personal Choice, a freedom available to all 

Personally, I think there is a Chickens Chance in Thailand, chance that they  an track 30 million people a year. but thats just my Professional technical mind speaking.  I am talking about the  choice you have and the responsibility you have to the Country you Choose to  all home or holiday in.

Personally I think the TV licence in the UK is a waste of money and does nothing for the payee apart from criminalise people for failure to pay the wages of overpaid celebrities ( and thats me being nice).

However I choose to live in the UK for 11 months of the year, so I must abide by the laws of that Country.  if I don't like it, then I can choose to live elsewhere, plenty of other peope have.

Firstly, nobody is being "forced" to do anything; nobody has to comply! Simply because something is 'law', doesn't make it just, and there is always the option to disobey unjust commands, no matter who is barking them at us. If somebody is attempting to force me to do something I don't wish to do, I can make the choice of whether to comply, or stand by my principles, and refuse. It's the choice we all have in any matter.

I will NEVER use one of these SIMs, in the highly unlikely event of them ever becoming a reality, just like I NEVER bought a licence to watch TV in the forty years I lived in the UK; and it will never make me leave my home, simply because I disagree, or even refuse to comply with any new, unjustifiable, oppressive condition being imposed on me; I would destroy my phone in front of anyone insisting that I comply with such an abuse of power (well, perhaps not my S7 or my SG tablet).

Wherever one is born on this planet, and wherever one chooses to live, it's a matter of philosophy as to whether or not one has the right to object to absolutely any condition being imposed on him or her by somebody else, no matter who that somebody else might be. EVERYONE has a right to be heard, irrespective of which patch of soil they were born on!

Where I go, who I talk to, what I say to absolutely anybody in conversation, by whatever method, is nodody's business but mine and I will take whatever measures necessary to protect my privacy, whether they are deemed to be 'legal' or not.

If you wish to continue to live by the conditioned fear and complacency that's instilled in the majority of the global population, THAT is your choice; being true to my own philosophy and principles, is mine.

If you see, "Freedom to choose'Personal Choice, a freedom available to all"[sic], as having the freedom to choose which set of rules and conditions to subject yourself to, then you will be a slave till you die.

If nobody complains, nothing changes for the better!

------------------------------

Sent from a shitty Chinese ZTE piece of crap using a bloody annoying on-screen keyboard

40 minutes ago, JayBeeee said:

Firstly, nobody is being "forced" to do anything; nobody has to comply! Simply because something is 'law', doesn't make it just, and there is always the option to disobey unjust commands, no matter who is barking them at us. If somebody is attempting to force me to do something I don't wish to do, I can make the choice of whether to comply, or stand by my principles, and refuse. It's the choice we all have in any matter.

I will NEVER use one of these SIMs, in the highly unlikely event of them ever becoming a reality, just like I NEVER bought a licence to watch TV in the forty years I lived in the UK; and it will never make me leave my home, simply because I disagree, or even refuse to comply with any new, unjustifiable, oppressive condition being imposed on me; I would destroy my phone in front of anyone insisting that I comply with such an abuse of power (well, perhaps not my S7 or my SG tablet).

Wherever one is born on this planet, and wherever one chooses to live, it's a matter of philosophy as to whether or not one has the right to object to absolutely any condition being imposed on him or her by somebody else, no matter who that somebody else might be. EVERYONE has a right to be heard, irrespective of which patch of soil they were born on!

Where I go, who I talk to, what I say to absolutely anybody in conversation, by whatever method, is nodody's business but mine and I will take whatever measures necessary to protect my privacy, whether they are deemed to be 'legal' or not.

If you wish to continue to live by the conditioned fear and complacency that's instilled in the majority of the global population, THAT is your choice; being true to my own philosophy and principles, is mine.

If you see, "Freedom to choose'Personal Choice, a freedom available to all"[sic], as having the freedom to choose which set of rules and conditions to subject yourself to, then you will be a slave till you die.

If nobody complains, nothing changes for the better!

------------------------------

Sent from a shitty Chinese ZTE piece of crap using a bloody annoying on-screen keyboard

So you freely admit to breaking laws in the UK and would do the same here as well. Good guys in bad guys out!!!! Goodbye 

27 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

So you freely admit to breaking laws in the UK and would do the same here as well. Good guys in bad guys out!!!! Goodbye 

And, "so you freely admit to breaking laws" was your entire take away from that rant?

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

I freely admit to non-compliance with injustices. Do you think all laws/rules, however unjust, should be blindly obeyed? Have you never broken any law? If so, was it from commitment to a principle or philosophy, or simply because it was in the way of you doing what you please and likely that you'd get away with it?

Do you think we should freely surrender our rights to privacy? Or perhaps you believe we all belong to the state and we should only have those rights which are awarded to us by our masters? Do you have any thoughts of your own on the matter? I mean, reeeaaally 'of your own'?

Sorry, I keep coming in here expecting to find open-minded, critical thinking people; I don't mean to load you up with that burden.

Maybe I shouldn't send this, but...

But what is the actual physical mechanism they will implement?  I come in from the USA with my old fashioned Flip Top cell phone that only has voice and text, no wifi, no gps, no internet, no Bluetooth, etc.  Would they say I have to buy one of their SIMs?  Would they confiscate my phone?  Now supposed a tourist arrives with a Smart Phone, android, or whatever.  It works fine as it is without any changes.  Would they again, confiscate or try and make the person use some new SIM?  Who would agree to that since all the contact data and other stuff is on the owner's SIM?

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 10:18 PM, Gweiloman said:

Never gonna happen. Just put the sim into a bin

What I think they are not saying is they may set up all the Cell systems in Thailand to ONLY work with these SIM cards.  So even if you come with your fully working foreign or Thai phone or smart device that has a SIM, the network there simply won't recognize it.  I can't see any other way they could enforce this plan.  As you say, people would just toss the SIM, or never buy one in the first place.  Do they really expect to arrive and take out their existing SIM which has all their contacts and other info on it?  Not to mention that the existing SIM may be necessary for them to call overseas or use the data plan they have?  Somebody please tell me the mechanics of what the Thais may be actually proposing

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

What I think they are not saying is they may set up all the Cell systems in Thailand to ONLY work with these SIM cards.  So even if you come with your fully working foreign or Thai phone or smart device that has a SIM, the network there simply won't recognize it.  I can't see any other way they could enforce this plan.  As you say, people would just toss the SIM, or never buy one in the first place.  Do they really expect to arrive and take out their existing SIM which has all their contacts and other info on it?  Not to mention that the existing SIM may be necessary for them to call overseas or use the data plan they have?  Somebody please tell me the mechanics of what the Thais may be actually proposing

I can confidently tell you that the people proposing this along with the single gateway idea have absolutely no idea of the mechanics. That's for their lackeys to figure out. In typically Thai fashion, if a proposal is totally unfeasible, nobody will be willing to say it to a Phu Yai's face. They'll just pretend to comply or continue dragging their feet until the next hare-brained scheme comes along and the last is forgotten about.

Edited by debate101

14 minutes ago, debate101 said:

I can confidently tell you that the people proposing this along with the single gateway idea have absolutely no idea of the mechanics. That's for their lackeys to figure out. In typically Thai fashion, if a proposal is totally unfeasible, nobody will be willing to say it to a Phu Yai's face. They'll just pretend to comply or continue dragging their feet until the next hare-brained scheme comes along and the last is forgotten about.

Do you have any knowledge at all of SIM card technology?

Can you tell us why the "mechanics" of this idea is so challenging?

thanks

15 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

thanks

The mechanics of a teeter-totter are challenging to the big faces calling the shots at present. These ideas are of course physically possible. That doesn't make them any more politically outlandish by a regime that continues to try to spend political capital they simply never received.

I have no doubt some of them entertain grand visions of deporting all foreigners and closing off the country completely to the outside world in order to continue running things the way they want indefinitely. The fact that they are not yet able to do this indicates the strength that their opponents still have. Delusions of grandeur about their own popularity and support cause them to continually misjudge the pushback and fallout of trying to implement ideas such as these. They can't for the life of themselves figure out why they don't yet have the full trust and support of the public for any deforms they deem necessary.

The fact that other humans exist and have minds that come to conclusions that are not the same as theirs, and that these other people are not necessarily wrong is a baffling and totally unintelligible concept to the authoritarian mindset.

2 minutes ago, debate101 said:

The mechanics of a teeter-totter are challenging to the big faces calling the shots at present. These ideas are of course physically possible. That doesn't make them any more politically outlandish by a regime that continues to try to spend political capital they simply never received.

I have no doubt some of them entertain grand visions of deporting all foreigners and closing off the country completely to the outside world in order to continue running things the way they want indefinitely. The fact that they are not yet able to do this indicates the strength that their opponents still have. Delusions of grandeur about their own popularity and support cause them to continually misjudge the pushback and fallout of trying to implement ideas such as these. They can't for the life of themselves figure out why they don't yet have the full trust and support of the public for any deforms they deem necessary.

The fact that other humans exist and have minds that come to conclusions that are not the same as theirs, and that these other people are not necessarily wrong is a baffling and totally unintelligible concept to the authoritarian mindset.

OK. So you have no understanding of the "mechanis" of these SIMs, you are simply angry about other things.

The fact is the "mechanics" of this are not technically challenging.

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

thanks

The SIM card I'd programmed at manufacture level to incorporate all the basics for setting up calls. That is its function to make a connection between the user and the Base station. Location can be found using triangulation using 3 cells but is not 100% accurate. If they want real accuracy they will need to use the GPS used by the military. That will bring a considerable cost not to mention that the military would not be happy with civilians using their system.

10 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

The SIM card I'd programmed at manufacture level to incorporate all the basics for setting up calls. That is its function to make a connection between the user and the Base station. Location can be found using triangulation using 3 cells but is not 100% accurate. If they want real accuracy they will need to use the GPS used by the military. That will bring a considerable cost not to mention that the military would not be happy with civilians using their system.

The military GPS has not been more accurate for over 10 years...there used to be a filter on the satellite signals for civilian use but that was lifted long ago.

If you read the articles it clearly states this SIM card technology will use location coordinates from the phones onboard GPS.