Refused entry on Thai passport

On 10/08/2016 at 4:46 PM, Johpa said:

Just a few months ago my wife attempted to enter Thailand on her recently expired Thai passport but was told that she must use her American passport to enter the Kingdom.  Prior to departure she had been told by an employee of the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles that she could enter on her expired passport, but that she must renew before returning.  Thus once again we see that Thai immigration officials are not consistent in their application of whatever laws may exist on the books.  Chaiyo!

Maybe the difference is my wife doesn't show or declare she has a UK passport so the immigration officer doesn't have a choice. It's important not to let them know you have dual nationality as technically they can revoke your Thai citizenship, although I don't think this has ever happened. We flew with Emirates Airline so I contacted them and asked if my wife could travel to Thailand on an expired passport and they confirmed it was not a problem. When we checked in the operator also checked with her supervisor who immediately confirmed it is not a problem. The airline are responsible for returning passengers who they allow to travel without proper documentation and get refused entry so they obviously know the rules better than the IO your wife dealt with.

a few years back, my missus was berated at Immigration Suvarnabhumi, for using her Aussie Passport, which displayed she was born in Thailand.

She's still quite adamant that she will never again renew her old Thai passport (btw... it was already expired prior to that earlier incident)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2016 at 9:41 PM, Jaggg88 said:

Maybe the difference is my wife doesn't show or declare she has a UK passport so the immigration officer doesn't have a choice. It's important not to let them know you have dual nationality as technically they can revoke your Thai citizenship, although I don't think this has ever happened. We flew with Emirates Airline so I contacted them and asked if my wife could travel to Thailand on an expired passport and they confirmed it was not a problem. When we checked in the operator also checked with her supervisor who immediately confirmed it is not a problem. The airline are responsible for returning passengers who they allow to travel without proper documentation and get refused entry so they obviously know the rules better than the IO your wife dealt with.

No one can revoke Thai citizenship from some one who is Thai by birth.  That will be reinforced in the new constitution which eliminates the ambiguities in the Nationality Act on these points.