Foreign governments asked to respect result of the Thai referendum

webfact

Foreign governments asked to respect result of the Thai referendum

Don-wpcf_728x413.png

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Don Paramavinai today (Tuesday) called on foreign governments to respect the result of the Thai referendum on the draft constitution on Sunday in the same way that they respected their own referendums.

He also urged them to express their well wishes to the Thai people for the approval of the draft constitution in the referendum even though not every Thai voted in favour of the draft but over 50 percent of the eligible voters turned out to exercise their voting rights.

The foreign minister said he would invite members of the diplomatic corp and international organizations in Thailand to the Foreign Ministry either on Thursday or Friday for a briefing of the referendum result and what the country will go next after the referendum, including the political roadmap earlier announced by the National Council for Peace and Order.

Deputy Prime Minister Wisanu Krea-ngarm and representatives of the Constitution Drafting Committee will also be present at the briefing to answer questions if there are any from the foreign representatives, said Mr Don.

Prior to the cabinet meeting this morning, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha reiterated that the government would press ahead with the roadmap and to stage an election next year.

“Please have trust in the roadmap. I have never said anything that is deviating from the roadmap,” said the prime minister in response to a reporter’s question whether the roadmap still remains unchanged.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/foreign-governments-asked-respect-result-thai-referendum/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-09

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Respect comes after you have earned it , no Democratic  government will give a Thailand  Junta the green light, and or congratulations , a carefully worded document would be the only communication they will possibly receive , for to give congratulations publicly would be endorsing a Junta lead Government , which would give the Thai Administration carte  blanche to do whatever they liked. 

I have genuine sympathy for this guy, even if he is an under-competent yoyo who gets laughed at a lot. Though politely, of course, such is diplomacy.

His job is to sell this government as a reasonable and freedom-loving government whose only concern is the welfare of the poor Thai people.

It seems like suicide might be the only reasonable way out, poor guy. I particularly sympathised with him when the US Ambassador (whom I generally think is a bit of a dick) made Dom look like a complete dick.

Riotous, a moment to savour. I should get a recording really and look at it if I ever feel a bit down. That'll cheer me up no end.

Winnie

God wants politics; God likes a good laugh.

13 minutes ago, manarak said:

difficult to respect the result of a vote for which any opposition campaign was illegal.

I agree, how can he expect to be respected when they had been losing popularity because of this military governments erratic performance.

All campaigning was banned, and dozens of activists who tried to criticise the constitution were detained and charged.
The military had not said exactly what would happen if the charter was rejected, but made it clear they would remain in charge.

Are they going to allow verification of the result in some way, seeing as there was no independent observation of the actual vote and no exit polls at the time?

If this was a genuine victory for them, the junta should now be very keen for independent international observers to check the count. They kept all those bits of paper, right? They don't all have to be recounted, only a sample.

Without verification, and given all the other similarities this government shows to North Korea, how is the international community to believe that the result is genuine? Because the junta said so? If verification is still not now allowed, what are we to suppose...?

...[Foreign Minister Don Paramavinai] also urged [foreign governments] to express their well wishes to the Thai people for the approval of the draft constitution in the referendum...

A Foreign Minister asking – nay, urging – the governments of other countries for good wishes for anything does not sound very diplomatic, does it?

12 minutes ago, Puccini said:

A Foreign Minister asking – nay, urging – the governments of other countries for good wishes for anything does not sound very diplomatic, does it?

Well, no, it doesn't, well commented. But it does sound a bit desperate.

Winnie

2 hours ago, Winniedapu said:

I have genuine sympathy for this guy, even if he is an under-competent yoyo who gets laughed at a lot. Though politely, of course, such is diplomacy.

His job is to sell this government as a reasonable and freedom-loving government whose only concern is the welfare of the poor Thai people.

It seems like suicide might be the only reasonable way out, poor guy. I particularly sympathised with him when the US Ambassador (whom I generally think is a bit of a dick) made Dom look like a complete dick.

Riotous, a moment to savour. I should get a recording really and look at it if I ever feel a bit down. That'll cheer me up no end.

Winnie

God wants politics; God likes a good laugh.

The Junta still is recognised as a government by  various countries like Australia so why would the recognise thier sham referendum and express well wishes to the regime?

1 hour ago, Alive said:

Why does it look like every member of this regime got a good hard punch in the face somewhere back in their lives.

Looks like the chap behind in the blue tee shirt is the one who does the punching - sorry, clarifies what has just been said...

I hope yingluck respects that vote. She respected the voting side of it by coming out to vote. Respecting the result is just as important.

So should everyone. The majority have been disrespected long enough by the previous regime and it is rather saddening if they are not respected now. 

26 minutes ago, djjamie said:

I hope yingluck respects that vote. She respected the voting side of it by coming out to vote. Respecting the result is just as important.

So should everyone. The majority have been disrespected long enough by the previous regime and it is rather saddening if they are not respected now. 

The results were in 2 months ago, observers banned apart from a few hand picked ones positioned at selected voting stations, opinions on the charter were banned and people arrested and intimidated. Nope not respect for it and the regime has the audacity to demand that foreign governments congratulate them and embrace this sham rigged referendum.

The turnout in the referendum was about 55 percent, which meant that only about one-third of the electorate endorsed it, given that it won with a 67 percent majority.

45,00%         did not vote
   36,85%         vote yes
   18,15%         vote no
100,00%

The turnout's been very low.
The majority are the non-voters, the
abstainers.

Why so many have denied or not preceeding there vote?

Why does he feel it necessary to urge foreign governments to respect the referendum when we are regularly told,   by Thai officials,    that the international community fully understands and supports everything the junta does  ?

4 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The turnout in the referendum was about 55 percent, which meant that only about one-third of the electorate endorsed it, given that it won with a 67 percent majority.

36,85%         vote yes
   18,15%         vote no
100,00%

abstainers.

I was told that people had to go the actual village or city where they live or are registered in order to vote.  That means that millions of Thais that work away from home, say the Isaan girls that work in Bangkok or Pattaya or elsewhere would have to had travel back home to vote.  That wasn't going to happen

13 hours ago, Thechook said:

The Junta still is recognised as a government by  various countries like Australia so why would the recognise thier sham referendum and express well wishes to the regime?

"The Junta still is recognised as a government by  various countries like Australia ..."

Is this your way of saying Australia does NOT recognize the present Thai government, which I believe is the case?

6 hours ago, djjamie said:

As usual, you are 100% off with your comment ...and a joke!

The majority is still widely disrespected- you are just dishonest, in spinning this the way you want!

19 hours ago, webfact said:

He also urged them to express their well wishes to the Thai people for the approval of the draft constitution

Thai government trying to solicit congratulations from the rest of the world? Well, if you have to ask for it..., maybe they'll get a "Get Well Soon" card.

7 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

36,85%         vote yes
   18,15%         vote no
100,00%

abstainers.

interesting to see these figures. i am guessing those that did not bother to vote though that it would not make any difference and i would agree that they are probably right. vote the referendum down and just go through the process again and again with a similar end result.

not sure why the foreign minister cares what any foreigners think. suppose it is his job to make it look like he does. i remember a foreign minister being recorder saying that he has zero respect for ferang. probably still the case now.

15 hours ago, Puccini said:

Oh he was very diplomatic and went as far as he can go by preventing phrases like:

“Foreign governments ordered to respect result of the Thai referendum”

or

“I demand them to express their well wishes to the Thai people for the approval of the draft constitution.”

20 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Sorry to be the one to tell you Mr. minister, but the rest of the world doesn't even know what you're talking about.  Your request would be greeted, with "Huh, what referendum?"

Sorry you will not con them with your words of internal praise. 

20 hours ago, manarak said:

difficult to respect the result of a vote for which any opposition campaign was illegal.

Let's not forget the indestructible ballot boxes that break when dropped on the floor, or the cheap poor quality tie wrap seals that also broke very easily, or the fact that even if the seals were intact you could still lift up the boxes flimsy lid on the side, and the fact they supposedly had 94% of the results in and broadcast on tv within within a couple of hours after polling stations were closed, quicker than any UK county could count brexit votes.

47 minutes ago, mki8 said:

Let's not forget the indestructible ballot boxes that break when dropped on the floor, or the cheap poor quality tie wrap seals that also broke very easily, or the fact that even if the seals were intact you could still lift up the boxes flimsy lid on the side, and the fact they supposedly had 94% of the results in and broadcast on tv within within a couple of hours after polling stations were closed, quicker than any UK county could count brexit votes.

Ah yes. Erm. Thai quality control.

Don't be scornful, they are trying.

In any sense you like.

Winnie