Friend of Australian man found dead in Bangkok questions the circumstances around his death

Jonathan Fairfield

Joshua Beath’s friend questions the circumstances around his death in Thailand
Olivia Lambert

j.jpg

Joshua Beath fell to his death from a balcony at a Bangkok hotel. Picture: Facebook

A FRIEND of an Australian man who died after falling from a hotel balcony in Bangkok has ruled out suicide.

Joshua Beath, 25, was found naked in a pool of blood by a maid at the Surawong Road hotel in the Thailand capital on July 29.

The circumstances around his death remain a mystery, but it is believed he checked into the hotel with a Thai woman the day before he died.

She had left the hotel by the time the police had arrived.

Mr Beath’s friend Chris Vargas, who met him in 2008, told news.com.au the Melbourne man had a Thai girlfriend but it is unknown if she was with him when he fell from the balcony.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/joshua-beaths-friend-questions-the-circumstances-around-his-death-in-thailand/news-story/2bf27b6feb7775ff4c8df92206d35b84

-- News.com.au

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is always hard for any family of a young bright life like this to face the reality that he was having sex with a prostitute let alone that he committed suicide.

Lets hope the family get the closure they seem to be denying at the moment.

So a friend who apparently didn't even know him well enough to know his Thailand plans except that they may have included wanting to help poor people has raised suspicions?

Great.

Just what his family needs to help with any closure.

The answer will never be known with certainty. 

He fell.

2 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

So a friend who apparently didn't even know him well enough to know his Thailand plans except that they may have included wanting to help poor people has raised suspicions?

Great.

He fell.

Well just goes to show there is such a thing as a blue moon.

I actually agree with you on the reliability of this woman's views or the validity of her suspicions. 

As as to what happened, well your conclusion is as much speculation as the conspiracy theorists who suspect foul play. 

So maybe half a blue moon then? 

Another Expat has come to grief , there has been so many lately that you need a calculator to keep track , the RTP are so sloppy in their handy work,  that as we know,  it will be a miracle if anything is even done let alone found , tour agents in the west should either advise or supply  a special booklet or apps to young single men ,  especially first timers to Thailand ,  pointing out the dangers and the problems that you can face in the land of Smiles.

7 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Another Expat has come to grief , there has been so many lately that you need a calculator to keep track , the RTP are so sloppy in their handy work,  that as we know,  it will be a miracle if anything is even done let alone found , tour agents in the west should either advise or supply  a special booklet or apps to young single men ,  especially first timers to Thailand ,  pointing out the dangers and the problems that you can face in the land of Smiles.

Lets see what warnings should be provided?

Here is a good rule to stay alive:

Don't do anything here you would not do at home.

Pretty much sums it up but then what would be the fun of coming here for a young guy?

Hookers? No.

Drugs? No.

Motorbike without license or skills or even long pants? No.

Some of us do things that we look back on in later life and think how lucky we have been to survive. Others are not as fortunate!

Luckily for me, when I first came to BKK in the early 70s, there were few tall buildings, and even less with balconies. 

One has to feel for the family of Joshua (and all the other visitors to this country who meet their end through suspicious balcony incidents - far, far to many it would seem)! 

Edited by waldroj
Predictive text and too many Heinekens

3 minutes ago, waldroj said:

Some of us do things that we look back on in later life and think how lucky we have survived. Others are not as fortunate. 

Luckily for me, when I first came to BKK in the early 70s, there were few tall buildings, and even less with balconies. 

One has to feel for the family of Joshua (and all the other visitors to this country who meet their end through suspicious balcony incidents - far, far to many it would seem)! 

I am with you to the last part on suspicious balcony falls.

Heck, have you ever seen these balcony railing constructions? They are utter crap. The cap rails are loose, they are not anchored strongly to the wall, the balconies themselves are often uneven platforms.

its like walking steps here and assuming the risers are equally spaced. Bad idea.

Simple rule: Do not go on balconies if you are not at 100%.

i am old and my balance is not great. I do not go out on my hotel balcony unless I stand back near the wall.

and it is daytime. 

@Post 3 djjamie

"It is always hard for any family of a young bright life like this to face the reality,

that he was having sex with a prostitute..."

And where did you read that?

Nowhere.

Yet, you chose to spew crass unfounded speculation.

Edited by iReason

30 minutes ago, iReason said:

@Post 3 djjamie

"It is always hard for any family of a young bright life like this to face the reality,

that he was having sex with a prostitute..."

And where did you read that?

Nowhere.

Yet, you chose to spew crass unfounded speculation.

Are you even capable of having a post not filled with vitriol?

You must be a joy at parties after you knock a few back.

ClutchClark,

I live on the top floor of a ten-story apartment building in BKK. Each time we read about another foreigner "accidentally" plunging to their death from a Thai balcony, I reassess just how secure my own stainless-steel rails are (and just how easy it is to topple over them)!

Your "simple rule" should become one of the duties-of-care offered by other nations' Foreign Affairs Departments to their citizens visiting Thailand!

Questions are being raised in the aussie media over the high number of balcony falls in Thailand by foreigners and how they are declared suicide.  Questions also over the high number of crimes against foreigners and the high number of overall foreign deaths every year.  The figure of 83 foreign deaths reported by Thailand for 2015 an increase of 83% on 2014 is also being questioned as the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs reports the 109 aussies killed alone for the same period.  Also why suicide is not recognised by Thailand as a foreign death when it comes reporting.  Could this be why so many deaths are quickly written off as suicide to protect the image and tourism?

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Questions are being raised in the aussie media over the high number of balcony falls in Thailand by foreigners and how they are declared suicide.  Questions also over the high number of crimes against foreigners and the high number of overall foreign deaths every year.  The figure of 83 foreign deaths reported by Thailand for 2015 an increase of 83% on 2014 is also being questioned as the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs reports the 109 aussies killed alone for the same period.  Also why suicide is not recognised by Thailand as a foreign death when it comes reporting.  Could this be why so many deaths are quickly written off as suicide to protect the image and tourism?

This is interesting. If this is verified to be the reporting practice then it does provide a very real incentive to call everything a suicide. 

Although it still would not explain why tourists would be shoved from balconies as some on TVF like to think. I just don't buy into suggestions that 40-kilo Thai women are secretly killing farangs.

Regardless, Thailand does not need Australian visitors any longer--they are now attracting very high quality Arab & Chinese. 

13 hours ago, djjamie said:

It is always hard for any family of a young bright life like this to face the reality that he was having sex with a prostitute let alone that he committed suicide.

There is no evidence he committed suicide ....and it's offensive to pretend the family or friends that they "have no reason to doubt .." (.because junta boy says so.) 

I put it you , and others that not all sex workers are good , some like any occupation have a section that are dishonest.

Some even will kill for 50k 

He may have had significant funds on him.

One or several Thai males may have simply thrown him off and left.?

We don't know.

TAT might not find that a tasteful hypothetical but it's sometimes reality.

I recall a similar story in Pattaya dismissed as suicide ...and CTV showed Thai men entering room.

Sure he may have jumped slipped , been pushed .

But it's unlikely more so he committed suicide in that situation ....(especially at that age.) 

And the fact she left ...has not come forward hints that all may not have been so innocent

Edited by Plutojames88

28 minutes ago, Plutojames88 said:

There is no evidence he committed suicide ....and it's offensive to pretend the family or friends that they "have no reason to doubt .." (.because junta boy says so.) 

I put it you , and others that not all sex workers are good , some like any occupation have a section that are dishonest.

Some even will kill for 50k 

He may have had significant funds on him.

One or several Thai males may have simply thrown him off and left.?

We don't know.

TAT might not find that a tasteful hypothetical but it's sometimes reality.

I recall a similar story in Pattaya dismissed as suicide ...and CTV showed Thai men entering room.

Sure he may have jumped slipped , been pushed .

But it's unlikely more so he committed suicide in that situation ....(especially at that age.) 

And the fact she left ...has not come forward hints that all may not have been so innocent

50,000 Baht?

Was he carrying that kind of money around? 

Does anyone carry that kind of cash around? 

That is twice what I will spend here in a month.

14 hours ago, djjamie said:

ah you know it was a "prostitute"?  or is this your normal prejudice coming out again?  

"suicide" you have evidence?  or more breathtaking nonsense?  family "denying" you mean the family of a bright young man cannot ponder the death but should just "accept", without question?  more DJJAMIE  drivel

RiP young man and Police go find the 'Thai woman' and the 'GF' if there is one

14 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Great.

He fell.

Did he, you are sure because you are privy to something nobody else is aware of? 

15 hours ago, djjamie said:

Sex with a prostitute--hmm, Thai girl

49 minutes ago, meatboy said:

so his GF has not come forward,if she checked in the hotel with him,the hotel staff must have checked her ID card.

Don't know that hotel, but not all hotels check the girl's ID and false IDs are not difficult to acquire

Suicide? hard to swallow - death by misadventure?....given the scant info available.

It seems though that Thai police as ever discard any of the normal rules and protocols when dealing with a situation like this and really on senior apparenrtlty un-informed officers to feed the press the constant flow of supposition and and half-baked hypotheses.

I had a girlfriend in Australia who worked at a large university, in the counselling area. They would deal with 5-6 suicides a year. foreign students not coping, failing exams etc. These incidents were never reported in the media, and the police would do a minimal investigation. Mainly because the police had minimal information to go on. A student, not known to neighbors or a big group of friends, medical history unknown, Daily habits unknown etc. Besides talking to friends/visitors, social media accounts etc. What can police do ?

I see the situation in Thailand as not much different, Tourists or expats are living here, off the grid. Its mainly through exposure to TV that we even know about these incidents.

Add to that, the standards of balconies, low railings, slippery tiles, drainage that often doesn't work, the lifestyles some tourists and expats lead (alcohol, drugs etc) and the actual percentage of accidents will be higher than usual.

1 hour ago, meatboy said:

so his GF has not come forward,if she checked in the hotel with him,the hotel staff must have checked her ID card.

Just what I was thinking.  I think that should be a really essential hotel service.  A no-cost, handy protection for the adventurous tourist.  Handy for the hotel.  Keeps "falls", scandals & police out of the place which is always bad for business

15 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Lets see what warnings should be provided?

Here is a good rule to stay alive:

Don't do anything here you would not do at home.

Pretty much sums it up but then what would be the fun of coming here for a young guy?

Hookers? No.

Drugs? No.

Motorbike without license or skills or even long pants? No.

Rent rooms on first floor of all apartments and hotels.  RIP Aussie.