Carrying bags of white powder through the airport

invogue

This might seem a strange question but I will be doing a few flights in and out of Thailand and I always carry stevia (herbal sweetener) with me. I'm wondering if I pull the bag of white stevia powder out of my bag to show it to the airport staff before they 'discover' it. I'm a huge stevia consumer and can't go anywhere without it. On week long trips I take a sizeable bag in a ziplock case with me. I've been stopped at Suvarnabhumi before where there's a bit of commotion and excitement because they think they've nabbed a drug trafficker. Of course I say "It's just stevia" and then they test the powder with their equipment and always seem disappointed when the test shows negative for drugs.

I'm just wondering if it would be better to pull the ziplock case out of my bag and clearly show it to them to speed things up and make it obvious I'm not hiding anything? I've always had a grave fear that the authorities might take the bag away and then produce a bag of heroin and say that's what I was carrying. Would there be anything for the Thai authorities to gain by doing that or am I being paranoid?

How about buying a bottle or packets of Stevia?
Like this http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Sugarless-Sugar-35-Packets-1-23-oz-35-g/68465
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Certified-Organic-BetterStevia-Extract-Powder-1-oz-28-g/329

Or you can try smuggling your precious Stevia, you'll be surprised how many will fit in there.

bolletjes.jpg

Edited by JImH2O

55 minutes ago, invogue said:

I've been stopped at Suvarnabhumi before where there's a bit of commotion and excitement because they think they've nabbed a drug trafficker.

If you have had this experience already, are you really ready for a repeat performance / foolish enough to do it again??

I have carried plastic bags of drinking water sterilizer  (basically chlorine powder) without any problems in years gone by, but don't have the need to now.

I would do as others said and take it in labeled containers.

8 hours ago, JImH2O said:

How about buying a bottle or packets of Stevia?
Like this http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Sugarless-Sugar-35-Packets-1-23-oz-35-g/68465
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Certified-Organic-BetterStevia-Extract-Powder-1-oz-28-g/329

Or you can try smuggling your precious Stevia, you'll be surprised how many will fit in there.

bolletjes.jpg

This isn't stevia, it's inulin with a little bit of stevia added, as are all retail products labelled with stevia.

I might just buy a retail package, empty it out and fill it with my pure stevia powder- I buy it direct from the manufacturer so the packaging is just clear plastic. 

I don't think it will change much though; the same as someone can put heroin into conduit to try and make it look like something else.

Can't you just not eat the stuff?  I am sure you can survive without it.  If its that addictive it can't be good for you anyway.  I would be annoyed if someone was holding up the line because they were taking stupid bags of sweetner on a plane trip! 

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Can't you just not eat the stuff?  I am sure you can survive without it.  If its that addictive it can't be good for you anyway.  I would be annoyed if someone was holding up the line because they were taking stupid bags of sweetner on a plane trip! 

Yes I am addicted and can't live without it.

Feel free to tell me what the adverse affects are.

6 minutes ago, invogue said:

Go to hell you idiot.

Why don't you use a real picture of yourself instead of hiding behind a fake profile.

I am already in hell and that is my real photo.

Add Indonesia and Saudi Arabia to your itinerary. 

3 minutes ago, sipi said:

I am already in hell and that is my real photo.

Add Indonesia and Saudi Arabia to your itinerary. 

You sure are.

I would like to point out that drug dealers and traffickers are the lowest scum of the earth, so being called a drug trafficker is not something I take lightly.

4 minutes ago, invogue said:

You sure are.

I would like to point out that drug dealers and traffickers are the lowest scum of the earth, so being called a drug trafficker is not something I take lightly.

Who called you a drug dealer?

Stevia is obviously no good for eyesight.

18 minutes ago, sipi said:

Who called you a drug dealer?

Stevia is obviously no good for eyesight.

....doesn't appear to do much for his temperament either!

Invogue, you've been a member of TVF for 6 years, so you know how it works, right? 6 years and only 106 posts - I commend you for your restraint.  The Pub is the area where there is more ribaldry, so you should expect to get ragged. Despite that, you were offered some serious advice by posters, yet you throw your toys out of the pram as a response..... a great way to elicit help from folk!

I assume you will have a reciept from the company for the purchase.

When you arrive do not go through the Green line for "nothing to declare" at customs.

Insead go through the Red line and declare your power, showing the purchase recirpts if asked.

I once brought 20 Kilos of Prime Rib wrapped in brown freezer paper into Thailand.

They asked what it was, and when I showed them the purchase reciepts they simply said something about "crazy Farang" and let me go on my way.

7 hours ago, invogue said:

Yes I am addicted and can't live without it.

Feel free to tell me what the adverse affects are.

If you are addicted and can't live without it.. I would say that is an adverse affect.

Another one would be you keep getting stopped in airports and waste peoples time because you are carrying white powder in unmarked packaging.

8 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

When you arrive do not go through the Green line for "nothing to declare" at customs.

Insead go through the Red line and declare your power, showing the purchase recirpts if asked.

I once brought 20 Kilos of Prime Rib wrapped in brown freezer paper into Thailand.

They asked what it was, and when I showed them the purchase reciepts they simply said something about "crazy Farang" and let me go on my way.

See now that's a great idea. 

Thank you for being the first person with an intelligent and thoughtful response.

9 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

White powder and Prime beef ribs

2 products so alike

X-ray machines can now detect drugs when they are scanned. If you have been stopped and the content of whatever you are carrying has been checked and your free to go, then I would say. That if you are addicted to the stuff as you claim and with some hassle and fingers where you do not want fingers then sure, bring it in, take it out. If its not illegal what do you have to fear.

"On week long trips I take a sizeable bag in a ziplock case with me. I've been stopped at Suvarnabhumi before where there's a bit of commotion and excitement because they think they've nabbed a drug trafficker. Of course I say "It's just stevia" and then they test the powder with their equipment and always seem disappointed when the test shows negative for drugs"

...If as your OP says, customs have already stopped you and thought that you were a drug trafficker , surely the stress of perhaps being framed by unscrupulous officials would dissuade you from continuing with this course of action. A defence of :

"But your honour it was just my Stevia"  might just get you 99 years in the Bangkok Hilton.

You don't seem to be the sharpest tool in the box, but hey, play games in airports, why the heck not?

Come off it, posting a question like this on this miserable forum, then becoming offended is either disingenous or just plain stupid.

As is the question itself. You know the downsides of travelling with a big white bag of powder, so either do it or don't.

Travelling with it in its original packing is the smart option, if you can't do that then good luck to you. If it's worth the potential hassle of providing an explanation if asked bring it, if not, don't.

Why you would need someone  else to explain this to you is beyond my ken.

For years foreign whey protein products were banned here. Per Thai FDA rules each ingredient in a product that fell under there supervision needed an individual license.  Stevia was the demon that held everything up as it was illegal in Thailand. This was 15 years or so ago.