Thailand approves plans to track tourists' phones

webfact

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a little suprised about the reactions and knowledge about cellular (mobile) networks so that's why I wanted to react on this topic. Be aware that I don't share my opinion about the matter itself but only on the technical point of view. Also forgive me my bad English because it's not my native language. 

In my native country I run a MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) and sell my own branded SIM cards, mobile enterprise security services, VoIP services and virtual DID (geo country numbers) to my SMB customers.

"Still no mention of consequences or implementation... Nice theory but I don't see how they are going to implement this."
- It's just making use of the existing SIM card, the connected user in the database and the use of the roaming details.

"But the day they force me to put their simcard in my phone so they can track me i will leave this country. I'm very keen on my privacy and don't use any social media etc., not

even my big brother homecountry invades my privacy like Thailand is trying to do."

- Are you for real? That's happening in every country and with every provider.. Actually if you use a SIM card right now you can be tracked (at least by the cellular network 555).

"How are they going to stop "Roaming" using a none Thai sim or just acquiring a Thai SIM card on the black market?"
Since last year (or so) every SIM card had to be registered on name by identifying you by a passport (or so). The non registered SIM cards will be disabled by the operator.

"As soon as I have to use such a big brother card, I will simply stop using any mobile phone.

I wonder how the press in foreign countries will react to this."

- You can simply stop now using any mobile with a SIM card registered on a cellular network from any worldwide provider and anywhere in the world.

"Many areas have no reception so I take it can't be tracked either and I use the Mrs phone in her name when I have to so hmmmm"
- Yes that's a solution. The network only knows the last moment of registration. Realize that the Mrs is responsible to let you make use of her phone (and I do not know the exact telecommunications law in Thailand but in my Western county you are always responsible for the use of your SIM card by law).

In my opinion they will not add extra technology or spyware on your phone but they (government authorities) just make use of the roaming (national and international) register/databases and maybe of the CDR (Call Detail Records) register of the operator. Is this shady for you as a user? Sure! Is Thailand unique in this situation? I don't think so; in the most Western countries the telco's have to work together (with or without warrant) with the government authorities.

More info on LBS, Location Based Services:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Location-based_service 

Edited by CNX66
Forgot link :-)

Thailand is becoming such a sad, pathetic place.  Manageable or not, it shows a terrible attitude towards outsiders.  Are those who overstay such a threat to the country ?  Where is the importance in all this ?  It sounds terribly Orwellian.  There is probably no translation in Thai, so it would be an unknown concept to most in Thailand. 

Guess it is time to look for other modes communications.  Anyone have a red radio ?

Edited by yellowboat

It's a matter of time. In my native country the prepaid SIM cards will registered soon. And the operators do this already for years (with or without false identitites provided by the user) for freebies.... free minutes or data or whatever by giving contact details like name, e-mail address or more.. 

1 minute ago, flyingdoc said:

JimH20 is absolutely right!  Sim cards do not even have to be registered compulsorily in the U.K, yet anyway !

This place has become a full on police state.  Time to find a new place to live.

What's next, ankle bracelets for all foreigners?

Don't these morons know there is such a thing as a VPN for mobile phones, which changes the IP address to wherever you want to change it to?

Criminals will either use their foreign phones or VPN's, thus making this law a complete and utter joke and an inconvenience to law abiding citizens like myself.

This is like so many other laws passed by this joke of a government.  Liquor laws, I can go on and on.

The longer I'm here, the more I want to leave.

Here's a true story, many months ago, I gave the police full details names, phones

number of a couple of scammers who live in this country and scamming people

left right and center, till now, nothing was done about it, and those lowlife maggots

are still operating with impunity with the same phone numbers and email address,

so how is this new idea going to work when the ' old idea ' didn't work I'd like to know....

This idea is a non-starter. If they require people to buy these sim cards, are they going to watch to make sure they put them in their phone? Will immigration staff have a bag of sim cards to hand out like candy upon arrival?

What's to stop someone from taking the Sim Card out of their phone once they leave the airport? 

So many questions and so many unintended consequences. 

And like many posters have already said: Incomentence reins supreme here. They can talk and make rules all they want but they won't be able to implement this. 

18 minutes ago, CNX66 said:

I am a little suprised about the reactions and knowledge about cellular (mobile) networks so that's why I wanted to react on this topic. Be aware that I don't share my opinion about the matter itself but only on the technical point of view. Also forgive me my bad English because it's not my native language. 

In my native country I run a MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) and sell my own branded SIM cards, mobile enterprise security services, VoIP services and virtual DID (geo country numbers) to my SMB customers.

"Still no mention of consequences or implementation... Nice theory but I don't see how they are going to implement this."
- It's just making use of the existing SIM card, the connected user in the database and the use of the roaming details.

"But the day they force me to put their simcard in my phone so they can track me i will leave this country. I'm very keen on my privacy and don't use any social media etc., not

even my big brother homecountry invades my privacy like Thailand is trying to do."

- Are you for real? That's happening in every country and with every provider.. Actually if you use a SIM card right now you can be tracked (at least by the cellular network 555).

"How are they going to stop "Roaming" using a none Thai sim or just acquiring a Thai SIM card on the black market?"
Since last year (or so) every SIM card had to be registered on name by identifying you by a passport (or so). The non registered SIM cards will be disabled by the operator.

"As soon as I have to use such a big brother card, I will simply stop using any mobile phone.

I wonder how the press in foreign countries will react to this."

- You can simply stop now using any mobile with a SIM card registered on a cellular network from any worldwide provider and anywhere in the world.

"Many areas have no reception so I take it can't be tracked either and I use the Mrs phone in her name when I have to so hmmmm"
- Yes that's a solution. The network only knows the last moment of registration. Realize that the Mrs is responsible to let you make use of her phone (and I do not know the exact telecommunications law in Thailand but in my Western county you are always responsible for the use of your SIM card by law).

In my opinion they will not add extra technology or spyware on your phone but they (government authorities) just make use of the roaming (national and international) register/databases and maybe of the CDR (Call Detail Records) register of the operator. Is this shady for you as a user? Sure! Is Thailand unique in this situation? I don't think so; in the most Western countries the telco's have to work together (with or without warrant) with the government authorities.

More info on LBS, Location Based Services:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Location-based_service 

Welcome to the reality distortion zone which is Thailand. 

Being impossible, impracticable, stupid or lunatic is no impediment to some yoyo announcing it. 

Many rules, regulations and laws are conceived while straining to defecate in the morning. Are carried in a rush of enthusiasm and blood-pressure-induced spinning stars to the office, and are law by going home time.

No other way to account for some of the stuff they do...

Winnie

The body says it is intended to catch those who overstay their visa

But they wouldn't find the buried farang guys and those who're attached to a huge stone watching some fish, would they? 

Dear Mods, I've accidentally deleted 2,599 reputation points, could you please restore them to your earliest and convenient time? Thank you. 

Edited by lostinisaan

Tourism going up and now they want to play Big Brother, I never use my mobile when in Thailand I always have a Thai number on a cheap phone just in case it gets stolen. So in one easy step you avoid this silly bit of officialdom. You have emails,twiter, FB so who needs a mobile unless the make you swap your hard drive so they can track your laptop. Nothing is impossible here

I do not think it has got to do with tracking at all. As a lot of comments already states, it is so easy to do with current setup anyway. I think it is to monitor communication, line, skype, mail, sms, voice, snapchat and what not. And that is SO much easier if you have a predefined database of numbers setup for that, rather than going through millions of numbers to ensure you got the ones needed. But, sure they can not say that in public, because that would be intrusion on the privacy, so better play the tracking version. 

1 hour ago, ezflip said:

Still no mention of consequences or implementation... Nice theory but I don't see how they are going to implement this.

theoretically it is possible to track over stayers provided they keep on using the SIM card. a would  be over stayer will acquire another SIM card and no body will be any wiser. alternatively he may use his or her home SIM card.

There is a picture in the BBC article with the comment 'Tourists will still be able to use their home country Sim cards in Thailand, untracked'   so what would be point of using one of these tracker sims?.

1 hour ago, JImH2O said:

More info is needed, especially on the technical side. Like i said in another thread, i don't believe they can pull it off becaue they are simply too incompetent to achieve anything sophisticated as this.
But the day they force me to put their simcard in my phone so they can track me i will leave this country. I'm very keen on my privacy and don't use any social media etc., not even my big brother homecountry invades my privacy like Thailand is trying to do.

You say you don't use social media! !!!

Then why are you on TV. Simple minds do not understand. Back home to were big brother can control and contact you.  

So far this is just a suggestion, albeit from the loonie bin.

So many of you - us, are getting our nickers in a twist over something that will probably never get past second base.

I think we all need a cold shower & slow down a bit & wait for something more concrete to be announced before we start to worry too much.

But hey, just my opinion.

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

As soon as I have to use such a big brother card, I will simply stop using any mobile phone.

I wonder how the press in foreign countries will react to this.

It's for catching farang who overstay, of course overstayers would never turn their phone off or buy another one.

And have you guys ever used gps in BKK? It doesn't work properly so they still can't find overstayers.

Edited by Thian

Just now, malt25 said:

So far this is just a suggestion, albeit from the loonie bin.

So many of you - us, are getting our nickers in a twist over something that will probably never get past second base.

I think we all need a cold shower & slow down a bit & wait for something more concrete to be announced before we start to worry too much.

But hey, just my opinion.

True, but dont we love bitching about it LOL