Thailand approves plans to track tourists' phones

webfact

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again a badly thought out plan,that will be implemented,then dropped,when 

they realise it's unworkable,again the majority are been inconvenienced by  what

the minority (  potential overstayers) might or might not do.

Next step could be everyone arriving into Thailand has to give a piece of recently

worn clothing,preferably undergarments,that will be placed in an airtight bag and

kept  on file,al la the East German Stasi ,that seems to be the way this country is 

going.

regards worgeordie

On 10/08/2016 at 11:52 AM, Basil B said:

I think you will find that roaming is a reciprocal arrangement and many couturiers or service providers may retaliate.   

Roaming is an international agreement between operators 

Will I be arrested for not owning or not using a cellphone when I enter the country as a tourist?

I don't think so.

Since I don't use or want a cellphone, I fail to se how they can track my "sim card" unless they intend to inset one into my body as I get off the plane.

Usual half thought out and unworkable planning by overpaid and undereducated officials.

They simply don't have themannong or infrastructure set up to track the number of cellphones that the volume of tourists ariving in Thailand they would need to track.

39 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

Roaming is an international agreement between operators 

Still say it is reciprocal and if Thai operators opt out of the agreement then other operators may chose to bar Thai operators from their net works, this would be interesting as I assume many of the Thai operators have tie ups with international operators. 

8 hours ago, Basil B said:

Still say it is reciprocal and if Thai operators opt out of the agreement then other operators may chose to bar Thai operators from their net works, this would be interesting as I assume many of the Thai operators have tie ups with international operators. 

Of course they will

So... get off the plane and visa doesn't get stamped until you go to the booth next to the immigration officers and buy your sim card. If you don't have a phone you will be forced to buy one at the booth selling phones next to the sim card sales booth. Then, you will have to buy minutes at the other booth next to the other two. Once you are on your way, if you ever get stopped at a police checkpoint and you don't have your telephone you will be sent to the booth with bars and free uniforms.

Wow... gotta love it

3 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

So... get off the plane and visa doesn't get stamped until you go to the booth next to the immigration officers and buy your sim card. If you don't have a phone you will be forced to buy one at the booth selling phones next to the sim card sales booth. Then, you will have to buy minutes at the other booth next to the other two. Once you are on your way, if you ever get stopped at a police checkpoint and you don't have your telephone you will be sent to the booth with bars and free uniforms.

Wow... gotta love it

Don't worry it wont happen...

The words "Piss-up" and "Brewery" come to mind... :cheesy: 

seems to me the ones whinging about loss of human rights and registering sim cards with false details obviously have something to hide and may in fact be the foreign criminal types the Thai police are trying to counter on the run from their own countries and hiding away in Thailand   

22 minutes ago, Witblitz said:

seems to me the ones whinging about loss of human rights and registering sim cards with false details obviously have something to hide

Well then you wont mind posting your full name, address, phone number and photograph on here ?.... no thought not

To implement  such a system would also involve their own citizens , unless there is set up a special government system using military  security , forcing someone to use this SIM in their own personal phone brought in Lapland is an issue , also an issue is removing it after being issued and putting in your own SIM,  which has all your addresses,  GPS  etc , they may issue those throw away mobiles along with a SIM to be turned on 24 x 7, a nice unmanageable scheme and one wonders just who in the Junta has in the family a SIM card franchise , and or company....................................:coffee1:

31 minutes ago, Witblitz said:

seems to me the ones whinging about loss of human rights and registering sim cards with false details obviously have something to hide and may in fact be the foreign criminal types the Thai police are trying to counter on the run from their own countries and hiding away in Thailand   

iam not whinging but yes my sim card is registered under a dodgy Thai ID number.

Been living and working here for 10 years, the Thai authorities  have plenty of details on me and if they want to visit well it wont be hard for them to find me.

The obvious choice would be the work address in my work permit, now that I think about it I think my phone number is also with them so they could call me and ask my whereabouts as well.

Edited by Don Mega

Just now, johng said:

Well then you wont mind posting your full name, address, phone number and photograph on here ?.... no thought not

What has posting details on here got to do with it ?....Thai immigration has all my details per the above anyway, as does the Department of labour, SCB bank has a copy of my PP/ phone number/address, as does True Vision  and DTAC...but then again I am not hiding from the law in the my own country as I suspect many one here who are howling about "privacy"

6 minutes ago, Witblitz said:

What has posting details on here got to do with it ?

The fact that you  have not posted those details  proves that you would like to keep them private

Just like the people  "whinging"  about special tracker SIM cards  would like to keep their location private

Though I think its too late  now as the SIM and  ID card/passport numbers are the database they can pretty much know where everyone is...well where their phone is.

1 minute ago, johng said:

The fact that you  have not posted those details  proves that you would like to keep them private

Just like the people  "whinging"  about special tracker SIM cards  would like to keep their location private

Though I think its too late  now as the SIM and  ID card/passport numbers are the database they can pretty much know where everyone is...well where their phone is.

The fact is I don't want some old wrinkly old pedo, or boiler room boy del boy from TV having my details, I would not post anything on here as simply there is no official reason to do so, as much as the old wrinklies and TEFL'er's think they are Thai "officials"

If there is a valid and legitimate reason to provide my details I will gladly do so no problem, if you have a phone with a sim they can track the phone anyway... 

1 hour ago, chainarong said:

To implement  such a system would also involve their own citizens , unless there is set up a special government system using military  security , forcing someone to use this SIM in their own personal phone

Mtls2005    already pointed out that  its easy to do   probably they can even "push"  these aplets to SIMs without the user knowing

1 hour ago, johng said:

Only if GPS tracking is turned on.

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

iam not whinging but yes my sim card is registered under a dodgy Thai ID number.

Been living and working here for 10 years, the Thai authorities  have plenty of details on me and if they want to visit well it wont be hard for them to find me.

The obvious choice would be the work address in my work permit, now that I think about it I think my phone number is also with them so they could call me and ask my whereabouts as well.

I'm with you Don M. My phone is a company paid phone so I do not care either way. They already know I am here, where I work and my house addy up North. 

This process has so many holes in it they will never pull it off. They only people I see them being able to randomly track are arriving tourists at the airport and that's ONLY if they want or need a phone. Most are quite comfy using their tablet or phone on WiFi and wait til they get to the hotel. 

All that aside if they wanted to track me and I was so inclined to want to be off their radar I could have my wife just get a phone in her name and use it. Simple work around. 

No need for the huff about personal privacy. Hell Google, FB, Apple track you more then the SIM will.