Thai police seeks to wiretap suspects without using warrants

webfact

Thai police seeks to wiretap suspects without using warrants

By Asian Correspondent Staff 

BANGKOK: -- POLICE in Thailand are asking the junta government for approval to wiretap and monitor the movements of criminal suspects without a need for court warrants.

This comes after the government’s recent push to monitor the movements of foreigners in the country via SIM cards installed in mobile phones.

According to the Bangkok Post, the National Security Council (NSC) and other security forces have reportedly backed the proposal.

Full story: https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/08/thai-police-seeks-to-wiretap-suspects/

-- ASIAN CORRESPONDENT 2016-08-11

28 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

This tracking SIM nonsense may just be a diversionary tactic for this REAL shocking new step forward to a country that measures up with the worst totalitarian regimes (present or past).

No no no. djjamie / robblok / smedly will be along shortly to say that peace must be preserved at all costs

They are a good idea for regimes that don't care about human rights. Of course, Prayuth and all the generals and their families will all be exempt from wiretapping as military are nothing but honest patriots. 

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

You and I have nothing to hide so we need not worry..........right?

I have nothing to worry,  but its not a good idea in my opinion. I prefer a court to stand in between, the police is shady enough as is.

yawn.  you mean to tell me a thai is going to do this?   or a team of foreigners is going to do this for thais?

wire taps can give them IP and MAC information.    which is in your router/switch. 

you can also get it from your favorite telephone company... or any app you have installed. 

if the police are stupid.  to ... understand technology.   please keep the prices as high as you can.  I think 500 million is a good price for something you can install for free.   kinda like what thailand is doing with the housing market.   

6 minutes ago, american12bthai said:

yawn.  you mean to tell me a thai is going to do this?   or a team of foreigners is going to do this for thais?

wire taps can give them IP and MAC information.    which is in your router/switch. 

you can also get it from your favorite telephone company... or any app you have installed. 

if the police are stupid.  to ... understand technology.   please keep the prices as high as you can.  I think 500 million is a good price for something you can install for free.   kinda like what thailand is doing with the housing market.   

Can you explain how they can do this from a landline?

I'm fascinated by all this high tech stuff........................:blink:

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

This tracking SIM nonsense may just be a diversionary tactic for this REAL shocking new step forward to a country that measures up with the worst totalitarian regimes (present or past).

Interesting you say that. I was chatting with a pal who has no real knowledge of and no particular interest in Thailand. That is exactly what he said when I mentioned the SIM card wheeze to him...

how to lose all your support in one stupid action if this is allowed, is this what they really wanted to do with the sim cards after saying they would need warrants to do so, maybe  the truth about it is emerging, police want an open book to listen in on everyone

6 minutes ago, seajae said:

how to lose all your support in one stupid action if this is allowed, is this what they really wanted to do with the sim cards after saying they would need warrants to do so, maybe  the truth about it is emerging, police want an open book to listen in on everyone

With respect, what do you think you are going to get under an authoritarian military regime? Quite frankly what surprises me is that this surprises anyone.

I think you way well find yourself in for a few more nasty shocks before all this is over...

And what's the consequence?

No more serious un-encrypted talk on the (cell) phone/internet chats etc.

Sure you can still do your daily chit/chat, when is meal ready.

Who wants his private or business communication being open to be tapped arbitrarily by some local police boss/station?

Every chance for fraud, blackmail/extortion.

Some posters are naive to believe that Thai police is a trustful organization that you have no need to hide from.

2 hours ago, Alive said:

They are a good idea for regimes that don't care about human rights. Of course, Prayuth and all the generals and their families will all be exempt from wiretapping as military are nothing but honest patriots. 

They can model it after the Patriot Act in the US call it the Prayuth44Protection act

44 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And what's the consequence?

No more serious un-encrypted talk on the (cell) phone/internet chats etc.

Sure you can still do your daily chit/chat, when is meal ready.

Who wants his private or business communication being open to be tapped arbitrarily by some local police boss/station?

Every chance for fraud, blackmail/extortion.

Some posters are naive to believe that Thai police is a trustful organization that you have no need to hide from.

After thirty Plus years associated with Thailand , the RTP is one area that would get a minus 100 points on trust and now that the  Junta has  been given  carte blanche,  just sit and watch.

1 hour ago, baboon said:

With respect, what do you think you are going to get under an authoritarian military regime? Quite frankly what surprises me is that this surprises anyone.

I think you way well find yourself in for a few more nasty shocks before all this is over...

Very true,  we have yet to see pay back time ,  the disappearing  and waking up dead in the morning .

Unfortunately seems those wanting more western style democracy in Thailand are getting exactly what they wanted. Becoming more like the West and its need to "protect the people" by stripping their liberties and increasing spying all the time. What will be next, arresting people for having cash then confiscating it. Ignoring referendums. Rigging votes. Nazis at the airports. Regime change for surrounding countries. Brain dead soap operas - sorry, got that already.

i don't understand what all the fuss is about. as it is all new sim cards need to be registered either by id card for thai people or passport for foreigner. all sim cards can always be tracked from the cell towers.

ok that is not very nice but what is happening now that is so much worse?