A cut above?????

Deepinthailand

Monthly trek into KK this morning need supplies for businesses and a spot of retail therapy for Mrs. Anyway seen lots of people we know thai wise all returned our good morning greetings in a polite and happy manner.

Mr Farangs on the other hand good morning at least 7 whilst wandering round all speaking English to wifes/girlfriends so I'm sure they understood me. Guess what not one replied some looked at me with discust in there eyes. How dare that Farang talk to me. Some looked down at the floor and scurried along. 1 did sort of nod his head in a view attempt to communicate. It's not the first time I've noticed this, is it that Mr Farang thinks he's a cut above everybody else or just down right bad manners. I belive a bit of both. I will continue to greet in the vine hope of a response but I can't hold my breath for long. Many on here bemoan the bar dwellers in Thailand but at least they are civilized and say hello.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One time a stranger farang in Bangkok said good morning to me and i politely replied back, it was quickly followed by "i got robbed last night and my wallet, cards, passport etc were all taken, could you please help as i have no money?"

I told him not to worry, the local police station is only 10 minutes walk away and pointed him in the right direction :thumbsup:

Maybe the farangs you met this morning had the same happen to them in Bangkok and thinking the robbed farang is now living in KK :cheesy:

Having read the replies I can see the answer to my question is yes a cut above. If anyone said good morning to me I would reply with a good morning but hey I was brought up with that. Yes I do belive Farangs here belive they are a cut above  not just Thai but all other Farangs. 

47 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Having read the replies I can see the answer to my question is yes a cut above. If anyone said good morning to me I would reply with a good morning but hey I was brought up with that. Yes I do belive Farangs here belive they are a cut above  not just Thai but all other Farangs. 

I would have said hello and had a wee chat.

Correct etiquette is to not talk to people you don't know until  properly introduced by a mutual friend or family member. Have you never read Pride and Prejudice?

Just because you are lonely is no excuse to show bad manners.

And to only do it to those you feel share your racial background is despicable.

Edited by MissAndry

In my opinion, you should do what makes you feel good but shouldn’t try to bully others into behaving the way you want them to.  I like to acknowledge someone walking toward me with a smile and a nod of the head.  There are no preconditions attached to my actions, it just makes me feel good and hopefully won’t offend the other person.

23 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

Correct etiquette is to not talk to people you don't know until  properly introduced by a mutual friend or family member. Have you never read Pride and Prejudice?

So if we haven't been introduced then you wouldn't object if I didn't hold a door open for you and slam it in your face ... 

6 hours ago, Boycie said:

One time a stranger farang in Bangkok said good morning to me and i politely replied back, it was quickly followed by "i got robbed last night and my wallet, cards, passport etc were all taken, could you please help as i have no money?"

I told him not to worry, the local police station is only 10 minutes walk away and pointed him in the right direction :thumbsup:

Maybe the farangs you met this morning had the same happen to them in Bangkok and thinking the robbed farang is now living in KK :cheesy:

yes happens a lot. when pushed I reply in my east european tongue even though english is really my first language since about 7

15 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

In my opinion, you should do what makes you feel good but shouldn’t try to bully others into behaving the way you want them to.  I like to acknowledge someone walking toward me with a smile and a nod of the head.  There are no preconditions attached to my actions, it just makes me feel good and hopefully won’t offend the other person.

Do u stop and chat?

52 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

What are you talking about correct etiquette is to acknowledge a fellow human being. Not asking for war and peace conversation. As for the rest of your drivel when you sober up can you translate it please 

28 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

Good manners could be considered not to bother a random stranger with a.meaningless greeting

Mr grumpy eh get it tattooed on your forehead don't talk to me I'm better than you. My goodness seems common  courtesy has gone out of the window nowadays, well at least by farangs in Thailand.

40 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

Do u stop and chat?

It really depends.  If either one of us looks like we are busy then I would not like to impose.  If we are standing in line or generally sharing a space and there is some recognition or change in facial expression or body language then yes I might make the first move but with the understanding they may not choose to respond.

I was at a funeral the other day and noticed a guy who was all alone and not talking with anyone so I said hello and we had a pleasant conversation.  I am not one who believes there are universal rules of behavior and find the thought a little amusing.

Edited by villagefarang

14 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Mr grumpy eh get it tattooed on your forehead don't talk to me I'm better than you. My goodness seems common  courtesy has gone out of the window nowadays, well at least by farangs in Thailand.

Just pointing out your rules.don't have to apply to other people.

I never said it was my response 

I, and I am sure many others, have come across the same miserable faces from expats in response to a civil greeting  (in Thailand).

I think its worth making a comparison. I've often met westerners in other non-western parts of the world, by example the middle east, where similar civil greetings are very seldom met with the miserable face so often seen in Thailand.

I put it down to the fact that a lot of misfits wash up in Thailand, but don't regard their grumpy response in an entirely negative light - they are at least giving the rest of use clear notice that they are not likely to be good company. 

And as a friend of mine who lives in a part of Thailand with very few foreigners remarks, he sees no reason to lower the standards of the company he keeps just because there's not a lot of company about. 

1 hour ago, MissAndry said:

I would just like to comment as a Englishman that my Thai wife understands me but many farangies from Europe,  and others countries around the world etc. etc and also Thai people don't understand the English reserve,  it's nothing to do with a cut above it's just my way.  :)

Would I reply if a total stranger said hello to me,  it would depend 100% on the mood I was in.

If a total stranger stopped me and asked me for directions I would 100% do my best to put them on the right path if I could.

So read  that as you will.

Well well the  farangs have spoken or not as the case maybe. I can't really understand why the majority of you see it as normal that you ignore other people but each to there own. Me I will continue as I have all my life to greet people with a good morning. And a smile you never know one day I might get a worthwhile response. Remember not everyone wants to rob you or have an in depth conversation with you. It's called being friendly to others. So if your in KK and a farang says good morning it may well be me. 

Edited by Deepinthailand

7 hours ago, berybert said:

Would I reply if a total stranger said hello to me,  it would depend 100% on the mood I was in.

If a total stranger stopped me and asked me for directions I would 100% do my best to put them on the right path if I could.

So read  that as you will.

Says it all really. The land of smiles eh

19 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I say hello to people I know. But I noticed that the newbies are thinking every farangs have to say hello to all the farangs, as they are well known in Thailand.