One killed and 20 injured in two bomb blasts in Hua Hin

webfact

59 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Often it's not a question of Thai bashing per se just pointing things out and don't forget LoS brings a lot down on themselves.

The Erawan Shrine wasn't terrorism according to the authorities and in under 17 hours they completed the scene of crime investigation and had the area concreted over following which the public and reporters found items of potential providential value which the BIB didn't want to know about.

I agree it's tragic and compassion for the deceased and injured is necessary and most appropriate but that must come from the authorities too without a cover up to protect vested interests.   The victims deserve the truth.

Give it a rest just for once .We get it you hate thailand with a passion but People have died and severely injured. show some repect

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Give it a rest just for once .We get it you hate thailand with a passion but People have died and severely injured. show some repect

3 minutes ago, mcfish said:

You are well out of order as I don't hate LoS with a passion.

I have shown respect intertwined with items of truth and fact which some just don't like when it's about Thailand.

So members only have to post remarks that people like you approve of  ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

Obviously, no real evidence as yet as to who's responsible for this.

But, these kind of relatively small bombings are typical of past Thai politically motivated attacks -- not to mention the HH location and post referendum timing tending to fit into that theme. Equally so that there apparently were two different bombs in the location, with their detonations separated by some time.

Usually, the Thais seem to settle their "personal disputes" in a more direct, personal way (shooting, stabbing, etc.) vs bombs that are likely to cause a lot of collateral injuries.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

5 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I do feel sympathy and expressed it.   i wasn't being sarky but simply pointed out that the BIB and Thai officialdom have a poor track record and Erawan is a glaring example of a deliberately botched investigation because other influences were in play.

I believe the victims here deserve better than that,   don't you  ?

Obviously, I believe that the victims deserve better.  

And I wasn't necessarily putting the blame in your lap.  

My point is that this will certainly not be the last thread on the topic.  Why not wait for wait for something to actually happen rather than speculating and pre-blaming?  

Sorry, but part of my pool of thoughts I am drawing from is the tendency of the expat community to get all in a huff about things, jump to conclusions, bash, slander, etc online but then to just accept it anyway.  Take for instance the foreigner SIM thing.  Oh, lots of gnashing of teeth and stamping of feet but anybody write a letter?  Anybody protesting?  Anybody actually voting with their wallets and canceling trips to Thailand (or relocating to another country)?  How many people have written their embassy and expressed their outrage?  

No, none of that has or will happen.  On the remote chance that the government pulls it off, people will focus exclusively on how to get around it, they'll buy black market SIMs, have Thai friends buy them SIMs, etc.  And perhaps eventually the government will close those loopholes and people will simply accept that they have to have a government tracking SIM.  And privacy dies without even the faintest sound of a whimper.  

If it appears that the BiB are intentionally botching this investigation (and it seems way to early to even speculate that they have or will) why not do something other than making cynical comments on some forum that government couldn't give a hoot about?  Even if all the internet tough guys on TV are afraid to rock the boat themselves, every victim, tourist or expat, has a hometown.  Why not fire up their local media and get them asking embarrassing questions?  

The point is that nothing is going to change until something changes.  If the expats and tourists keep coming and keep limiting their actions to posting snarky posts on internet forums, nothing will change.  Ever.  It will only get worse.  

So, do I believe that the victims deserve better?  Yes.  That's my point.  

I didn't say the BIB are intentionally botching this investigation,  I did say Erawan though if you read it correctly.

I'm not sure about the govt not giving a hoot about tv as only yesterday I was assured this was a very public forum.

My comments weren't cynical and I'm sure that the international media will be interested as foreigners are involved.

Have you fired up the local media where you come from  ?

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Obviously, no real evidence as yet as to who's responsible for this.

But, these kind of relatively small bombings are typical of past Thai politically motivated attacks -- not to mention the HH location and post referendum timing tending to fit into that theme. Equally so that there apparently were two different bombs in the location, with their detonations separated by some time.

Usually, the Thais seem to settle their "personal disputes" in a more direct, personal way (shooting, stabbing, etc.) vs bombs that are likely to cause a lot of collateral injuries.

I have taken the liberty of putting some text in bold to highlight the fact that there was 30 minutes to an hour between the two bombs. What happened in that time?

This is something that concerns me. The first bomb didn't hurt anyone. If the area had been cleared and entertainment venues shut down at that point, no-one would have lost their life nor injured.

Once again the authorities have questions to answer.

13 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

You are well out of order as I don't hate LoS with a passion.

I have shown respect intertwined with items of truth and fact which some just don't like when it's about Thailand.

So members only have to post remarks that people like you approve of  ?

Taking advantage of a tragedy to push your own agenda and wild conspiracy theories is out of order !

Hua Hin bombs prompts Facebook to active Safety Check feature

FB-safe-684x336.png

Tell friends and family you are safe: Facebook Safety Check – Hua Hin

Facebook activated its Safety Check feature on Thursday night after two bomb explosions rocked the seaside resort of Hua Hin.

Facebook Safety Check allows users located in an area where a major incident or disaster has taken place to mark themselves as safe.

The feature was put into use during the deadly attacks in Florida and Nice.

Facebook Safety Check automatically sends users a notification asking if they are safe. When the user click ‘yes, let my friends know” the tool notifies their Facebook friends.

Full story: http://tech.thaivisa.com/hua-hin-bombs-prompts-facebook-to-active-safety-check-feature/16797/

39 minutes ago, NicciBobThai said:

I don't feel safe there anymore, I have a business in Hua Hin, althought most of the time I am not there, but with this happening I am strongly considering closing down shop. Surely this will impact the tourist season now and probably for a long time. Guess it's time to move on. No save place anymore.

Why?

You have more chance of getting killed in or by a vehicle in Thailand.  Just get on with whatever it is your doing

18 minutes ago, seahorse said:

I have taken the liberty of putting some text in bold to highlight the fact that there was 30 minutes to an hour between the two bombs. What happened in that time?

This is something that concerns me. The first bomb didn't hurt anyone. If the area had been cleared and entertainment venues shut down at that point, no-one would have lost their life nor injured.

Once again the authorities have questions to answer.

It all depends on the specific locations of the two bombs, meaning, how close the two locations were. 50 meters apart???

In other situations, the dual bombs, delayed detonation approach is typically aimed at targeting the authorities such as police, etc.  The first bomb explodes, that draws a police and related response to the area, then the second bomb is detonated with them around.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, davehowden said:

In a 24 hour street market?

They planted a much bigger one at Erawan......a backpack.....and no-one noticed and there were hundreds there.....

Obviously, it's easy....police don't do the beat in Thailand!

It is a political Thai attack aimed at the government and the tourist industry which the government is so keen to protect and the money that it brings in. Terrible that people have to die and be injured but the Thai democrats feel they have no option but to cause terror and confusion as peaceful dissent is illegal. Ironically it is Thais that need to be GPS tagged with their phones, not foreigners.

Without any facts the T V sleuths have just been waffling on from a terrorist attack by Isis to those murderdering Reds etc etc yet according to one poster it could be an internal beef between parties according to Thai news but as usual you guys have solved the case within a few hours of the event.

Now you wrapped this one up there's another thread about a Tom being murdered down in Trang so that one should be a no brainer for all the sherlocks on here.

13 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i just posted the other day that the army has taken total control and left the reds with basically no options. the wealthy minority now rule the majority. this is just the start and i cant see the army ever giving up power which will mean the next cycle is going to last a very long time.

If and that is a very big IF this is a red-shirt thing, it would confirm everything I think about them and their supporters. But I am certainly not willing to blame them just yet. Far too early and in general they have not gone after tourists. So I doubt it I would feel its more likely it has something to do with the south though also that is not a clear connection.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thai media is reporting the bombs in Hua Hin were due to a 'personal dispute'

Yup, anything but 'terrorism'.....

Shouldn't rule out the possibility of someone with a deep hatred of potted plants.

8 minutes ago, poohy said:

location as in which city and date is a bit of a giveaway I think!

seems not everyone shares the juntas happiness

Not necessarily. Thailand has so many Holy/Royal days that those responsible for this crime could have decided when to carry it out could have closed their eyes, stabbed their fingers at a calender and landed on one. We don't know anything yet.

5 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Seems to me that there is an elephant in the room that no-one is mentioning but everyone knows is the only one capable of and with something to gain from embarrassing the government :)

Come on, then - Who?

8 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Seems to me that there is an elephant in the room that no-one is mentioning but everyone knows is the only one capable of and with something to gain from embarrassing the government :)

I know who you mean but motive alone does not make him guilty. Believe me I am no supporter of him. Also the Southern insurgents have to gain by embarrassing the government. 

I feel the personal motive is a bit strange.. because planting 2 bombs in a way like this just does not sound personal. But who knows what nut jobs there are out and about. 

Edited by robblok

Just now, dotpoom said:

What puzzles me is...why was the area not cordoned off after first bomb went off?

That is exactly what they did in Trang where a bomb exploded too. Strange indeed that they did not follow the same procedure here.