Growing Muskmelons in Thailand

ezzra

Anyone has an experience in trying to grow Muskmelons ( Cantaloupes ) in Thailand on a personal or commercial

basses?  from what I see available around are 2-3 kinds of melons, some are just tasteless and no fragrance

to them, and some are classified as Japanese Melons that sells for a premium.....

If you do a google of your question and add Thailand to it, it should pop up several

thread that have covered several ways of growing them herein LOS. My last hydro attempt

went tits up when they were softball size, to much rain. Will be growing some more after

the rains have stopped.

Unlike you, I have had some great Thai grown melons, I don't shop at Lotus or Big-C, But

The Mall Korat and Crown Plaza(Klang Plaza). Crown Plaza has their own farm and the

owner was growing great green house grown melons.

The pic is an import from The Mall we just finished, thou not what your asking about, it

was VERY sweet with a mild flavor, and very crunchy, I do much perdure a good cantaloupe.

rice555 

DSC_0009_2.JPG

Of Course  I did google and rad all you posts from years back,

good info and you're a resourceful and helpful contributor, however, so far, no one with a

personal experience on a commercial bases has come forward to post their takes on the

subject maybe that's because there isn't any,

By the way, from what I gathered so far, growing melons in Thailand is a craft that require

knowledge and a good knowhow,  composting and irrigation techniques, and whoever is successful in growing melons in Thailand are keeping information as a secrete, and not knowing all the ins and out of the subject, one will experience more failures than successes....

By the way, there's a place in Ramkahmpeheng rd soi 118
sub soi 44, 100 on the right, that grows melons and other stuff  

that  teaches people for free how to grow them in a one day seminars

if anyone is  interested

Just west of Sakon Nakhon, can't remember the proper name for the area, is what I think is the main Melon growing area.  Always get about a dozen (that only lasts 3 days in my house!) and have never gotten a tasteless or unsweet one at any of the road side stands which are packed to the rafters with melons when I travel through from Udorn to Savannakhet for my annual pilgrimage after songkran.  Maybe be worth the road trip for you.